Constructed at Union Iron Works and commissioned in 1897, Wheeling saw over two decades of widely varied service before she decommissioned on 18 October 1919. At the end of 1919 she was assigned as a naval reserve training ship, and in 1923 she moved to New York to continue that duty. In the course of her training duty she received the large additional deckhouses seen here, but her hull and superstructure seem to have remained relatively intact. In 1941 the elderly Wheeling was approved for disposal, but with the US entry into WWII she was assigned as a berthing hulk for PT-boat crews. Finally placed out of service 13 February 1946, she was sold for scrapping later that year.
Correct answers were received from: James T. Flynn, Jr., Christopher Olson, Yves Grangeon, Anthony Vella, Czéh György, Steve Hissem, Masaki Ogasawara, Carsten Larsen, Art Niemoller, John Bradford, Ed Taillon, Joe Donahoe, Espen Arnestad, Bill Rhodes, John F. Cheevers, Tom Hardesty.
Back to the Mystery Pictures Main Page