From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
Of or pertaining to the Celts or their
IX - 137: dp. 20,000 (f.) l. 485' b. 62'6"
dr. 31'6": s. 10 k. cpl. 114 a. 1 x 4", 1 x 3"
The second Celtic (IX-137) was built in 1921 as Kerry Patch by Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corp., Quincy, Mass.; acquired by the Navy 17 January 1944; and commissioned the same day, Lieutenant J. S. Loring, USCG, in command.
Acquired at Noumea, New Caledonia, Celtic
sailed 15 February 1944 for duty as station tanker,
successively, at Efate and Espiritu Santo, New Hebrides; Port Purvis,
Gavutu, and Empress Augusta Bay in the Solomons; and at Noumea itself
until 31 March 1945, when she joined a convoy for Leyte, arriving 25
May. Here she served as station tanker until 1 July, sailing then for
duty off Okinawa from 17 July. Her support of the occupation
continued until 29 October when she cleared for Mobile, Ala.,
arriving 11 December. A career of humble but essential service ended
with her decommissioning 6 February 1946. Celtic was
delivered to the War Shipping Administration for disposal 24 December
Transcribed by: email@example.com
HTML conversion by: EPM
Date: 26 Jan 1999