From: Dictionary of American Fighting Ships
A large ruminant mammal of Africa, having a very long neck. It is the tallest of quadrupeds.
(IX - 118: dp. 14,245; l. 441'6"; b. 56'11"; dr. 28'4"; s. 11 k.; cpl. 108; a. 1 5")
Giraffe (IX-118), formerly tanker Sanford B. Dole, was launched 11 November 1943 by the California Shipbuilding Corp., Wilmington, Calif.; sponsored by Miss Mary F. Leddy; acquired and simultaneously commissioned 12 December 1943, Lt. Comdr. Frederick F. Daly, USNR, commanding.
Following shakedown, Giraffe put in at Funafuti, Ellice Islands, 10 February 1944 and subsequently refueled warships at Eniwetok, Saipan, Guam, Ulithi, and Palau before reaching Okinawa 21 July 1945. She entered Sasebo, Japan, 20 November at war's end and served the occupation fleet until departing Yokosuka 21 February 1946 for Pearl Harbor and Norfolk. Giraffe reached Norfolk 3 May and decommissioned there 17 June 1946. Returned to the War Department that date, she was stricken from the Navy List 3 July 1946. She was subsequently sold to Metro Petroleum Shipping Co., Inc.
Giraffe was awarded two battle stars for World War II service.
Transcribed by Yves HUBERT (firstname.lastname@example.org)