From: Dictionary of American Fighting Ships


Born in Fairhaven, Mass., 26 March 1911, Napoleon Joseph Cabana enlisted in the Navy 17 March 1930 and was appointed machinist 2 February 1941. As assistant safety engineer of the Cavite Navy Yard, P.I., he was killed in action during Japanese attacks on that base 12 December 1941.

(DE - 260: dp. 1,140; l. 289'5"; b. 35'1"; dr. 8'3"; s. 21 k.; cpl. 114; a. 3 3", 8 dcp., 1 dcp. (hh.), 2 dct.; cl. Evarts)


Cabana (DE-260) was launched 10 March 1943 by Boston Navy Yard; sponsored by Mrs. E. Cabana; and commissioned 9 July 1943, Lieutenant Commander R. L. Bence, USNR, in command.

Clearing Norfolk, Va., 2 October 1943, Cabana arrived at Pearl Harbor 26 October. From this base she screened the tanker units supporting TF 53 in its strikes in the Ellice and Gilbert Islands during the invasion of the latter. After a convoy escort voyage to San Francisco, she cleared Pearl Harbor 28 January 1944 to guard vulnerable transports bound for the occupation of Kwajalein. Cabana returned to Pearl Harbor 15 February to join the screen of tankers destined for the essential task of refueling ships engaged in the continuing operations in the Marshall Islands.

Displaying her antisubmarine capabilities, Cabana patrolled with a hunter-killer group from Majuro through March and April 1944, then returned to Pearl Harbor to prepare for the Marianas operation. Through the summer she offered fire support, radar picket, and escort services as Saipan, Guam, and Tinian were added to the growing list of American victories. On 18 September she arrived at Guadalcanal to escort invasion forces to the southern Palau Islands, then continued convoy voyages to Ulithi and Peleliu as the Palaus operation came to its close. Cabana returned to Pearl Harbor 21 November for training, and on 11 February 1945 sailed guarding transports to provide reinforcements for the invasion of Iwo Jima. She patrolled off that island from 7 March to 20 March, then returned to the United States for a brief overhaul.

Cabana rejoined 3d Fleet units operating from Ulithi and Guam 17 July 1945, and until the close of the war screened the logistics support group as the mighty air power of the 3d Fleet smashed at the Japanese home islands. On 20 September she entered Tokyo Bay escorting tankers to refuel the occupation fleet, and after a month of service as weather station ship off Pearl Harbor, returned to Mare Island 25 November 1945. Cabana was decommissioned 9 January 1946 and sold 13 May 1947.

Cabana received seven battle stars for World War II service.