From: Dictionary of American Fighting Ships


Francis Daniel Day, born 25 July 1904 in Milburn, N.J., enlisted in the Navy 12 January 1925 and served continuously until his death in Oklahoma (BB-37) during the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor 7 December 1941. Chief Water Tender Day was posthumously awarded the Navy and Marine Corps Medal for his self-sacrifice in risking his life to assist 15 of the crew to escape from a flooded compartment through a submerged porthole.


(DE - 225: dp. 1,450; l. 306'; b. 36'10"; dr. 9'8"; s. 24 k.; cpl. 186; a. 2 5", 3 21" tt., 8 dcp., 1 dcp. (hh.), 2 dct.; cl. Rudderow)


Day (DE-225) was launched 14 October 1943 by Philadelphia Navy Yard; sponsored by Miss G. Day, sister of Chief Water Tender Day; and commissioned 10 June 1944, Commander K. E. Read in command.

Departing New York 14 October 1944 Day sailed to Hollandia, New Guinea, arriving on 21 November. She escorted a convoy to Finschhafen and Morotai between 9 and 20 December, and on 26 December departed Hollandia to screen convoys passing between Sansapor and Leyte.

Detached from this duty at Leyte 4 January 1945, she escorted a convoy of 56 tugs and tows to Lingayen Gulf, fighting off three attacks by enemy planes before her arrival at the newly invaded beaches on 14 January. Returning to Leyte 18 January, Day sailed a week later for the invasion of the San Antonio-San Felipe area of Luzon which had already been taken by Philippine guerilla forces.

During February 1945 Day operated locally out of San Pedro Bay, on patrol and convoy duty. She was assigned to screen a group of minesweepers clearing Manila Bay, then returned to Subic Bay to escort a merchant convoy into the newly swept harbor at Manila. She supported the landings at the port of Legaspi on 1 April, returning with reinforcements 4 April. The next day she got underway to serve as command ship for a minesweeping unit clearing the channels around Balabac Island and opening the southern approaches from the Sulu to South China Seas. She returned to Leyte 3 May and 4 days later joined a task unit bound for Morotai. She participated in the invasion of Borneo from 7 to 12 June, returning with reinforcements 21 to 30 June.

From 22 July to 22 August 1945 Day escorted convoys between Ulithi and Leyte. She remained in the Philippines after the war until 18 December when she departed for San Diego, arriving 9 January 1946. She was placed out of commission in reserve at San Diego 16 May 1946.

Day received two battle stars for World War II service.


Transcribed by Yves HUBERT