From: Dictionary of American Fighting Ships

Douglas L. Howard

Douglas Legate Howard born 11 February 1885 in Annapolis, Md., was a member of the Naval Academy class of 1906. He was commanding officer of Drayton (DD-23), Rowan (DD-64), and Bell (DD-95) during World War I and was awarded the Navy Cross for his distinguished service on patrol and convoy escort duty in waters infested with submarines and mines. Captain Howard retired in 1933 and died at Annapolis 14 December 1936.


(DE - 138: dp. 1,200; l. 306'; b. 36'7"; dr. 8'7"; s. 21 k.; cpl. 186; a. 3 3", 3 21" tt., 8 dcp., 1 dcp.(hh.), 2 dct.; cl. Edsall)


Douglas L. Howard (DE-138) was launched 24 January 1943 by Consolidated Steel Corp., Ltd., Orange, Tex.; sponsored by Mrs. D. I. Thomas, daughter of Captain Howard; and commissioned 29 July 1943, Lieutenant Commander G. D. Kissam, USNR, in command.

Between 4 October 1943 and 19 March 1944 Douglas L. Howard escorted three convoys to Casablanca, French Morocco. She joined the hunter-killer group operating with Core (CVE-13) for one cruise between 3 April and 30 May, then made a similar patrol with the group formed around Wake Island (CVE-65), from 15 June to 29 August. After repairs at Boston, she joined Mission Bay (CVE-59) for antisubmarine patrol in the South Atlantic from 8 September to 26 November.

Douglas L. Howard continued to screen Mission Bay during training in the Caribbean and the qualification of aviators in carrier operations off Mayport, Fla., then returned to ASW operations in the North Atlantic.

Douglas L. Howard left Boston 30 June 1945 for San Diego, and reached Pearl Harbor 8 August. On 3 September she reported to Eniwetok for patrol and local escort duty, and from 25 September to 16 November she assisted in the occupation of Lele Island in the Carolines and the disposition of its surrendered military equipment. She served on occupation duty in the Marshalls until 6 January 1946 when she left Kwajalein for the United States. She called at San Diego, then continued to New York, arriving 15 February. On 13 March she arrived at Green Cove Springs, Fla., where she was placed out of commission in reserve 17 June 1946.


Transcribed by Yves HUBERT