From the “Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships,” 
(1968) Vol. 3, pp.485-486.


Displacement:  1,200 t.
Length:  306’
Beam:  36’7”
Draft:  8’7”
Speed:  21 k.
Complement:  186
Armament:  3 3”; 6 40mm; 10 20mm; 3 21” torpedo tubes;
	2 depth charge tracks;
	9 depth charge projectors;
Class:  EDSALL

	The third JACOB JONES (DE-130) was laid down 26 June 
1942 by the Consolidated Steel Corp., Ltd., Orange, Tex.; 
launched 1 November 1942; sponsored by Mrs. L. W. Hesselman; 
and commissioned 29 April 1943, Lt. Comdr. Walton B. Hinds, 
in command.

	After fitting out, JACOB JONES sailed 13 May for 
shakedown in Bermuda waters and arrived Charleston 7 July.  
On the 18th, she steamed to Newport to prepare for convoy 
duty.  A week later, she sailed with a convoy of Coast Guard 
cutters and Navy ships, which steamed to North Africa to 
support Allied operations in the Mediterranean.  While 
escorting this convoy, JACOB JONES made her first 
antisubmarine attack 7 August, firing 13 depth charges in 
two attacks.  She arrived Casablanca, French Morocco, 13 
August; a week later she departed with Task Force 64 
escorting a convoy bound back to the United States.  

	Arriving New York 5 September, JACOB JONES underwent 
inspection and on the 16th departed for ASW convoy training 
with sister ships HAMMANN (DE-131) and ROBERT E. PEARY 
(DE-132) at Casco, Maine.  She sailed for Norfolk 21 
September and on the 25th joined Convoy UGS-19 headed for 
North African waters off Casablanca.  Arriving 12 October, 
JACOB JONES conducted ASW patrols before departing for 
Gibraltar to join a westbound convoy the 19th.  She arrived 
Norfolk 6 November with the southern section of the convoy, 
then departed for 10 days of repairs at Brooklyn Navy Yard.  
On the 23d she joined a 64-ship Norfolk-to-Casablanca 
convoy.  Upon her arrival 10 December, she patrolled waters 
off the coast of Africa for a week before returning to the 
United States with Convoy GUS-24.

	Following repairs at New York and refresher training at 
Casco, JACOB JONES joined CARD (CVE-11) off Cape Henry 24 
January 1944.  At that time the escort carrier was busy 
carrying troops and aircraft to Europe as part of the mighty 
Allied buildup for the forthcoming invasion of Normandy.  
Returning to Norfolk 1 March, she resumed duty escorting 
convoys to England.

	JACOB JONES departed New York 28 March 1944 and joined 
five other DEs escorting a convoy bound for Moville, 
Northern Ireland.  Arriving 7 April, she departed 
Londonderry, Northern Ireland, 6 days later as one of 
several escorts for a 28-ship, westbound convoy that reached 
New York 23 April.  After repairs and training, she made 
rendezvous 13 May with 44 merchant ships and 17 escorts for 
the 10-day passage to Northern Ireland and returned to New 
York 8 June with a westbound convoy.

	For the next 12 months, JACOB JONES continued her 
escort duty for North Atlantic Convoys.  Departing from 
either New York or Boston, she sailed as convoy escort to 
such ports as Londonderry and Moville, North Ireland; 
Liverpool, Southampton and Plymouth, England; and Le Havre 
and Cherbourg, France.  When in the United States awaiting 
her next convoy, she maintained her operational readiness by 
training exercises in waters off Maine or Long Island.  When 
in Europe, she operated on coastal and harbor ASW patrols.  
In all, JACOB JONES crossed the Atlantic 20 times, providing 
protection for merchant and troop convoys in the North 

	Three weeks and a day after Germany's unconditional 
surrender, JACOB JONES departed Southampton, England, and 
steamed in convoy for the United States.  She put into New 
York 8 June 1945 and entered the Brooklyn Navy Yard for 
overdue repairs and overhaul.  On the 30th, she departed for 
Guantanamo, Cuba, for 2 weeks of ASW and shore bombardment 
exercises.  Steaming independently from Guantanamo 19 July, 
she transited the Panama Canal 3 days later, and sailed into 
San Diego harbor the 31st.

	As the Japanese Empire prepared to surrender, JACOB 
JONES departed the Destroyer Base, San Diego, 9 August 1945 
for Pearl Harbor.  She reached Pearl 16 August and commenced 
ASW exercises before embarking 108 passengers 4 September; 
they sailed for the West Coast.  She arrived San Pedro, 
Calif., and discharged her passengers 10 September.  
Departing for the Canal Zone 2 days later, she transited the 
Canal on the 20th and arrived Charleston 25 September.  She 
steamed from Charleston 24 October and 2 days later sailed 
up the St. John's River, Fla., to Green Cove Springs.  JACOB 
JONES decommissioned 26 July 1946 and entered the Atlantic 
Reserve Fleet.  At present she is berthed at Orange, Tex.

	[Stricken from the Navy Register on 2 January 1971, 
JACOB JONES was sold on 22 August 1973.

K. Jack Bauer and Stephen S. Roberts, “Register of Ships of 
the U. S. Navy, 1775-1990,” p.224.]

Transcribed by Michael Hansen