Lynde McCormick

(DDG-8: dp. 3,190; l. 432'; b. 47'; dr. 21'; s. 30 k.; cpl. 364; a. 2 5", Tar. mis., ASROC, 2 tt.: cl. Charles F. Adams)

Lynde McCormick (DDG-8) was laid down 4 April 1968 by Defoe Shipbuilding Co., Bay City, Mich.; launched 28 July 1959; sponsored by Mrs. Lillian McCormick, wife of Admiral McCormick; and commissioned at Boston 3 June 1961, Cmdr. Ernest S. Cornwall, Jr., in command.

Lynde McCormick departed Boston 23 August 1961 for her home port, San Diego, arriving 16 September. Early in 1962 she tested her missiles and antisubmarine weaponry in the Pacific missile range. Exercises and experiments continued in preparation for deployment to the western Pacific, for which she sailed 19 November 1962.

She arrived Yokosuka 6 December and within a week was on station with a 7th Fleet task group, taking up her part in the schedule of readiness training and exercises which have made the 7th Fleet a potent force working for peace in the Far East. Returning San Diego 15 June 1963 she proceeded to Sacramento to help initiate its new deep water port. All-encompassing refresher training followed overhaul and modification at Hunter's Point early in 1964 increasing her antiair warfare capabilities. A high state of readiness had been achieved when the Tonkin Bay incidents of 2 and 4 August escalated the conflict in Vietnam.

In company with CruDesFlot 11, Lynde McCormick departed 5 August for a 6-month deployment along the Vietnamese coast, primarily in the screen for Bon Homme Richard and other carriers. She returned to San Diego 6 February 1965. Lynde McCormick spent the remainder of the year conducting coastal exercises, a successful competitive firing of her missiles, and a summer cruise to Hawaii training midshipmen.

After antisubmarine exercises with the Canadian Navy in January 1966, Lynde McCormick prepared for a third tour of duty in WestPac. She left San Diego 1 March and 1 month later was shelling Vietcong bunkers and gun emplacements in the Mekong Delta. In May she sailed up the eastern coast to support Yankee Station carrier operations against North Vietnam until August, when she sailed for her home port, arriving San Diego the 26th. On 27 October she entered drydock at Long Beach for a thorough overhaul. This was completed 23 March 1967.

Refresher training began on 15 May, and was interrupted on the 27th when she rushed to the aid of a stricken crewmember of SS Pacific Comet. DDG-8 continued operating out of San Diego until 17 August, at which time she departed for another WestPac deployment.

Lynde McCormick saw extensive action on the gunline and in patrolling the Vietnam coastline. Many rounds of 5-inch ammunition were expended at enemy emplacements and supply lines, in aid of United States and other Allied troops ashore. The ship returned to the west coast 6 April 1968 and operated in the eastern Pacific for the remainder of the year, into 1969.