(DD-941: dp. 3,807 (f.); l. 418'5"; b. 45'1"; dr. 14'2"n; s. 30 k.; cpl. 311; a 3 5", 4 3", 4 21" tt., 1 dct.; cl. Forrest Sherman)
The third Du Pont (DD-941) was launched 8 September 1956 by Bath Iron Works Corp., Bath, Maine; sponsored by Mrs. H. B. Du Pont, great-great-grandniece of Rear Admiral Du Pont; and commissioned 1 July 1957, Commander W. J. Maddocks in command.
From 6 to 31 July 1958 Du Pont served on a midshipman cruise and antisubmarine exercises in the Atlantic, duty broken by a visit to New York. Du Pont sailed 2 September for a tour of duty with the 6th Fleet in the Mediterranean, during which she participated in highly realistic air defense and antisubmarine warfare problems. She returned to Norfolk 12 March 1959, to prepare for Operation "Inland Sea," the historic first passage of a naval task force into the Great Lakes through the Saint Lawrence Seaway. She escorted HMS Brittania with Queen Elisabeth II of England embarked during the dedicatory ceremonies of 26 June.
Du Pont crossed the Atlantic in August and September 1959, visiting Southhampton, England, after serving as plane guard for the transatlantic flight of President D. D. Eisenhower. On 28 January 1960 Du Pont sailed from Norfolk for a second tour of duty with the 6th Fleet in the Mediterranean, returning to Norfolk on 31 August for an overhaul in the Naval Shipyard where she remained through the end of 1960.