(Destroyer No. 86: dp. 1,284 (f.); l. 314'4''; b. 30'11" (wl.); dr. 9'2 (mean); s. 34.54 k.
(tl.);cpl. 122; a. 4 4", 2 3", 12 21 tt.; cl. Wickes)
The first Steven (Destroyer No. 86) was laid down at Quincy, Mass., on 20 September 1917 by the
Fore River Shipbuilding Corp., Iaunched on 13 January 1918, sponsored by Miss Marie Christie Stevens, and
commissioned at Boston on 24 May 1918, Comdr. Rufus F. Zogbaum, Jr., in command.
Stevens departed Boston on 3 June and arrived in New York two days later. On the 15th, she sailed
for Europe in the screen of a convoy and reached Brest, France, on the 27th. The following day, she headed for
Queenstown in Ireland, arriving there on 6 July. Assigned to the United States Naval Forces, Europe, Stevens
operated out of that port and protected convoys on the Queenstown Liverpool circuit until mid-December. She
put to sea on the 16th and, after stops at the Azores and Bermuda, entered Boston on 3 January 1919.
Upon her return to the United States, the destroyer was assigned to Destroyer Division 7, Squadron 3,
Atlantic Fleet. In the spring of 1919, she cruised to Key West, Fla., and visited New York, before getting
underway from Boston on 3 May to participate in the support operations for the first successful transatlantic
flight. She put into Halifax, Nova Scotia, on the 4th and stood out again five days later to guard for the Navy
seaplanes' flight to Newfoundland. After returning to Halifax on the 11th, she put to sea and by the 19th,
reached Ponta Delgada, in the Azores. Along the way, she assisted in the search for one of the two downed
She completed her mission at Boston on 8 June and a month later, shifted to Newport, R.I., for normal
operations. She visited the southeastern coast of the United States during the fall and early winter of 1919 and
was at Philadelphia from 17 December 1919 to 1 June 1920. Stevens operated off the New England coast until
3 November 1921 when she set course for Charleston, S.C. The destroyer returned to Philadelphia on 8 April
1922 for inactivation. She decommissioned there on 19 June and remained inactive until 7 January 1936 when
her name was struck from the Navy list. On 8 September 1936, her hulk was sold to the Boston Iron and Metal
Co., Inc., of Baltimore, Md., for scrapping.