(DD 80: dp. 1,060;1. 315'5"; b. 31'8"; dr. 8'6"; s. 35 k. cpl. 100; a. 4 4", 2 1-pdrs., 12 21" tt,; cl. Wickes)
The first Kimberly (DD-80) was launched 14 December 1917, by Fore River Shipbuilding Co., Quincy, Mass.; sponsored by Miss Elsie S. Kimberly, daughter of Rear Admiral Kimberly; and commissioned 26 April 1918, Comdr. A. W. Johnson in command.
After shakedown Kimberly cleared Boston 19 May 1918, escorting a convoy to the United Kingdom. After her arrival in June, the destroyer spent the remainder of the war protecting ships bound for the battle zones in Europe from the British Isles. She departed Queenstown, Ireland, 26 December; and, after arrival Boston 8 January 1919, Kimberly engaged in training operations along the coast. In May the destroyer served as a lifeguard ship in New England waters during the world's first transatlantic flight that of the Navy's NC-4 hydroplane commanded by Lt. Comdr. Albert C. Read.
Kimberly completed maneuvers out of Newport, and entered Boston Navy Yard for extensive repairs. She joined the Destroyer Force at Newport 18 April 1921, and throughout the summer operated with submarines. Information gained through these early experiments was of great value in refining the techniques of undersea warfare. Kimberly spent the winter at Charleston, S.C., before arriving Philadelphia 29 March 1922, where she decommissioned 30 June. Her hull was sold to Boston Iron & Metal Co., Baltimore, Md., for scrapping.