Young II

(DD--580: dp. 2,050; l. 376'; b. 39'8"; dr. 17'9", s. 35 k.; cpl. 273; a. 5 5", 10 40mm., 7 20mm., 10 21"tt., 6 dcp., 2 dct.; cl. Fletcher)

The second Young (DD-580) was laid down on 7 May 1942 at Orange, Tex., by the Consolidated Steel Corp. Iaunched on 15 October 1942; sponsored by Mrs. J. M. Schelling, and commissioned on 31 July 1943, Lt. Comdr. George B. Madden in command.

Following shakedown in the Gulf of Mexico and the Caribbean Sea, Young briefly operated out of Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. During that assignment, she formed part of the escort for Iowa (BB-61) when that battleship carried President Franklin D. Roosevelt across the Atlantic on the first leg of his journey to the Teheran Conference of November 1943. In the midst of that voyage, the destroyer received orders instructing her to head for the Pacific theater. She transited the Panama Canal on 24 November and reported for duty with the Pacific Fleet. She arrived in Pearl Harbor early in December and received orders assigning her to the 9th Fleet in the northern Pacific. Young remained at Pearl Harbor for several weeks and then headed for the Aleutian Islands where she arrived in mid-January 1944.

Her arrival in Alaskan waters, however, came some three months after the Aleutians campaign ended. Her duties for the next eight months, therefore, consisted of escort and patrol missions spiced with an occasional bombardment of Japanese installations in the Kuril Islands. She was an element of Rear Admiral Wilder D. Baker's striking force on 2 February 1944 when that unit conducted the first bombardment of Japanese home territory in the Kurils. She twice returned to those islands in June, shelling Matsuwa on the 13th and Paramushiro on the 26th. Otherwise, her only enemy during the first eight months of 1944 proved to be the foul Aleutians weather.

During September, she returned to the United States for an overhaul. Upon completing repairs, the destroyer departed San Francisco Bay on 6 October bound for the western Pacific. Reporting in at Manus in the Admiralty Islands late in the month, she received orders to join the escort of a supply convoy bound for the newly invaded Philippines. She reached Leyte on 18 November in the midst of an enemy air attack on the invasion fleet. She and her colleagues in the convoy screen combined to splash three of the attacking aircraft.

On 19 December, Young departed Leyte with 10 other destroyers in the screen of the first Mindoro resupply echelon. The unit came under enemy air attack early in the morning of the 21st but encountered no concerted air opposition until near dusk. At about 1718, a raid of five kamikazes broke through the combat air patrol, and three of the suicide planes succeeded in their missions, hitting LST-460, LST-479, and Liberty ship SS Juan de Fuca. Both LST's had to be abandoned, but SS Juan de Fuca carried on and reached Mindoro safely with the convoy on the 22d. During the return voyage, enemy planes returned to harass the convoy but failed to inflict damage. During the approach to and the retirement from Mindoro, Young claimed a total of five unassisted splashes and two assists.

Young's first amphibious assault came during the invasion of Luzon in January 1945. During the main landing on the 9th, she served as a unit of the screen for the landing craft of Attack GrouP "Baker" and covered part of the landings at Lingayen itself. The assault went off practically unopposed, an example of the new Japanese tactic of fighting an amphibious force inland with conventional infantry tactics rather than trying to smash it at the beach. Since the American troops encountered no real resistance until they had advanced inland well beyond the range of destroyer guns, Young and her colleagues had little to do at Lingayen.

That pattern repeated itself at Zambales later in the month when Young, in reconnoitering the landing area encountered a small boat embarking a Filippino guerrilla lieutenant who informed the destroyer that the area had already been secured by his forces. The Zambales landing went off without a shot being fired.

During operations around Subic and Manila Bays, the warship joined Nicholas (DD 449) in destroying two Japanese 17-foot suicide boats sent in from Corregidor to break up the Mariveles occupation force on 14 February. Two days later, she participated in the reduction and capture of the source of those boats Corregidor. She bombarded the "Rock" before the assault and then helped silence enemy batteries on Caballo Island when they opened up on the landing craft. Later that morning, she threaded her way through mine-infested waters to provide gunfire support for the troops taking the island fortress.

During the following weeks, the destroyer conducted patrols out of Subic Bay. In April, she supported the Army's landing on Mindanao, but that operation, thanks to strong Moro guerrilla activity, proved to be another walkover. She continued her patrol operations in the Philippines until the end of the third week in May at which time she received orders to return to the United States for repairs. Steaming via Eniwetok and Pearl Harbor, she arrived in San Francisco Bay on 12 June and began a 47-day overhaul at the Mare Island Navy Yard.

Late in July, she completed her post-overhaul trials and, early in August, headed back toward Pearl Harbor. However, by the time of her arrival, hostilities had already ceased. Instead of continuing west, she began operations in the Hawaii area as escort and plane guard for Saratoga (CV-3). On 25 September, she departed Hawaii in company with various units of the 3d Fleet en route to the east coast for the 1946 Navy Day celebration. On 27 October, she arrived in New York where President Harry Truman reviewed the assembled ships.

Young remained in New York until 1 November when she got underway for Charleston, S.C., where she was placed in reserve on 31 January 1946. Finally decommissioned sometime in January 1947, the destroyer remained in reserve until 1 May 1968 at which time her name was struck from the Navy list. On 6 March 1970, she was sunk as a target off the mid atlantic coast.

Young (DD-580) earned five battle stars during World War II.