(DD-290: dp. 1,190; 1. 314'5", b. 31'8", dr. 9'3"; s.35 k.; cpl. 120; a. 4 4", 2 3", 4 21" tt.; cl. Clemson)
The third Dale (DD-290) was launched 19 November 1919 by Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corp., Squantum, Mass.; sponsored by Mrs. A. J. Peters, and commissioned 16 February 1920, Commander F. H. Roberts in command.
From 3 March to 3 April 1920 Dale cruised New England waters aiding in the recalibration of radio compass stations in the 1st Naval District. Assigned to Destroyer Force, Atlantic Fleet, she operated with destroyer squadrons along the Atlantic coast, in the Gulf of Mexico, and in the Caribbean. Her activities included tactical exercises and battle practice; fleet maneuvers, war exercises, and fleet search problems, training naval reservists; and service from Norfolk in the calibration of radio compass stations in the 5th Naval District.
On 17 June 1924 Dale sailed from Newport to make courtesy visits to ports in Germany, Denmark, Norway Scotland, England, France, Spain, and Portugal. Arriving at Gibraltar 21 September, she cruised in the Mediterranean until June, engaging in battle practice intelligence work, and international goodwill calls. She departed Gibraltar 2 July 1925 for New York, arriving 16 July.
Dale operated with Destroyer Squadrons, Scouting Fleet, on the Atlantic coast, in the Caribbean, and in the Canal Zone until arrival at Philadelphia 21 September 1929. She was decommissioned there 1 May 1930 and sold 17 January 1931.