(DD-271: dp. 1,190; l. 314'5"; b. 31'8"; dr. 9'3" (mean); s. 35 k.; cpl. 120; a. 4 4", 2 3", 12 21" tt.; cl. Clemson.)
The sixth Morris (DD-271) was laid down 20 July 1918 by the Fore River Plant, Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corp., Squantum, Mass .; launched 12 April 1919; sponsored by Mrs. George E. Roosevelt, great-granddaughter of Commodore Charles Morris; and commissioned 21 July 1919 Lt. Comdr. M. L Deyo in command.
On 26 August 1919 Morris sailed for European waters. A month later she passed through the Strait of Gibraltar and continued on to Spalato (Split), Yugoslavia. There she joined the Adriatic Detachment which was then performing quasi-political and diplomatic duties in the void caused by the breakup of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. She returned to New York 21 May 1920 and operated briefly on the east coast before sailing for San Diego. Steaming via the Panama Canal she arrived at San Diego 7 September and for the next 9 months cruised south for brief patrols off the politically unstable countries of Nicaragua and Mexico. She decommissioned at San Diego 15 June 1922 and entered the Reserve Fleet. Struck from the Naval Register 19 May 1936, she was sold to the Schievone- Bonomo Corp. of New York City 29 September 1936.