(DD-210; dp. 1215; 1. 314'4", b. 31'9", dr. 9'10", s. 35 k.; cpl. 122; a. 4 5", 1 3", 12 21" TT., cl. Clemson)
Broome (DD-210) was launched 14 May 1919 by William Cramp and Sons Ship and Engine Building Co., Philadelphia, Pa.; sponsored by Miss Mary Josephine Heyworth Broome, granddaughter of Lieutenant Colonel Broome, and commissioned 31 October 1919, Commander C. M. Austin in command.
Broome left New York Navy Yard in May 1920 for duty in European waters. She cruised between English and French ports, as well as in the Baltic and Mediterranean. At the end of the year she reported to the Asiatic Fleet. After two years she returned to the United States and went out of commission at San Diego 30 December 1922.
Broome was recommissioned 5 February 1930 and thereafter served actively with the fleet in the Pacific until 1939 except for a period in reduced commission during 1934. In May 1939 Broome arrived at Norfolk Navy Yard for duty in the Atlantic. In 1941 she was attached to Destroyer Division 63, Patrol Force, and operated with the Neutrality Patrol on the Atlantic coast. Later that year, she served as a convoy escort between Iceland and the United States.
From January 1942 until May 1945 Broome engaged in convoy escort, patrol, and training operations in east coast, Icelandic, Canadian, and Caribbean waters. In addition, she escorted several trans-Atlantic convoys to North Africa and the United Kingdom.
On 4 May 1945 Broome arrived at Charleston Navy Yard for overhaul and on 23 May her designation was changed to AG-96. On 10 June 1945, as a unit of the Atlantic Fleet attached to the Operational Training Command, she reported for duty at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, where she served until December 1945. On 10 December she procceded to Philadelphia and commenced her pre-inactivation overhaul. Broome was decommissioned 20 May 1946 and sold 20 November 1946.