(DD-185 dp. 1213, 1. .314'5",, b.31'8" dr. 9'4", s. 34k.; cpl. 122; a. 4 4". 2 3". 12 21" TT.; cl. Lamberton )
The second Bagley(DD-185) was launched 19 October 1918 by Newport News Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Co., Newport News, Va.; sponsored by Mrs. Adelaide Worth Bagley, mother of Ensign Bagley, commissioned 27 August 1919, Commander R. L. Walker in command, and reported to the Atlantic Fleet.
Between August 1919 and July 1920 Bagley served in destroyer Flotillas 1, 3, and 8 participating in maneuvers and training in the Atlantic and Caribbean. She was placed in reserve commission 16 July 1920 and out of commission at Philadelphia 12 July 1922. During 25 April 1932-20 April 1934 she was on loan to the Coast Guard.
The name Bagley was dropped 31 May 1935 and, until 1939, she was referred to as DD-185 (ex-Bagley). Renamed Doran 22 December 1939, she was recommissioned 17 June 1940 and reported to the Atlantic Squadron. She served with the Squadron until 22 September 1940, when she was decommissioned at Halifax, Nova Scotia, and transferred in the destroyer-land bases exchange to Great Britain.
She was renamed HMS St.Mary's and arrived at Belfast, Ireland, 8 October 1940. Assigned to the permanent escort force of the 1st Minelaying Squadron, she arrived on the west coast of Scotland 31 October and took part in some of the early minelaying operations in Denmark Strait, between Iceland and Greenland. She also escorted a number of convoys. During 1941 she took part in most of the Squadron's minelaying operations and rendered valuable service in the defense of shipping. On 29 August 1941 she was in a collision with the transport Royal Ulsterman off the west coast of Scotland and was in the dockyard until December.
St. Mary's carried out minelaying and shipping defense duties in 1942 and 1943. In February 1944 she was paid off in the Tyne and remained there until the end of the war.