From: DICTIONARY OF AMERICAN NAVAL FIGHTING SHIPS, Vol. I, p. 136.
Charles Stuart Boggs was born in New Brunswick, N. J., 28 January 1811. He was appointed a Midshipman in 1826. During the Mexican War he served in Princeton and during the Civil War, commanded Varuna in the Battle of New Orleans. He was promoted to Rear Admiral in 1870 and commanded the European Squadron in 1871. Rear Admiral Boggs retired in 1872 and died in Brunswick, N. J., in 1888.
(DD-136: dp. 1154; l. 314'5", b. 31'9" dr. 9', s. 35 k.; cpl. 122; a. 4 4", 12 21" TT.; c;. Wickes)
Boggs (DD-136) was launched 25 April 1918 by Mare Island Navy Yard; sponsored by Miss Ruth Hascal; and commissioned 23 September 1918, Commander H. V. McKittrick in command.
Boggs departed San Diego in March 1919 for a six months cruise along the east coast, in the North Atlantic and in the Caribbean. Upon her return she served with the Pacific Fleet until placed out of commission 29 June 1922. Redesignated a miscellaneous auxiliary (AG-19) 5 September 1931, she was recommissioned 19 December 1931 and assigned to Mobile Target Division 1, Battle Force, for high-speed radio control tests, target towing and minesweeping. Except for a cruise to the east coast (January-October 1934) she served off the west coast until 1940. She arrived at Pearl Harbor 11 September 1940. Late in 1940 she was reclassified a high speed minesweeper (DMS-3).
The Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor (7 December 1941) found Boggs at sea but she returned later in the day to sweep the approaches and anchorage. She remained at Pearl Harbor on minesweeping, patrol, and training duty until January 1943 when she made a run to Canton Island, Phoenix Islands with supplies. She returned to Pearl Harbor 2 March i943 and for the next year served in the vicinity as a patrol vessel, minesweeper, and towboat. She served as a target towing vessel with the Operational Training Command out of San Diego (12 April 1944-March 1945). Following overhaul at San Pedro, Calif. (March-June 1945) she was stripped of her sweeping gear and reclassified AG-19, 5 June 1945. Fitted for high-speed target towing Boggs arrived at Eniwetok, Marshall Islands, via Pearl Harbor, 15 August 1946. She remained at Eniwetok until 6 October 1945 and then returned to the United States, arriving in early 1946. Boggs was decommissioned 20 March 1946 and sold 27 November 1946.