From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships


Born in Philadelphia 10 March 1914, Edgar R. Bassett entered the Navy 13 February 1940 and was subsequently commissioned Ensign, Naval Aviator, USNR. Ensign Bassett was killed in action 4 June 1942 during the Battle of Midway.

(APD-73: dp. 1370; l. 306'; b. 37'; dr. 12'7"; s. 23.6 k.; cpl. 204; a. 1 5"; cl. Crosley)

Bassett was launched 15 January 1944 as DE-672 by Consolidated Steel Corp., Ltd., Orange, Tex.; sponsored by Mrs. Margaret Bassett, mother of Ensign Bassett; reclassified APD-73, 27 June 1944; converted to a high-speed transport; and commissioned 23 February 1945, Lieutenant Commander H. J. Theriault, USNR, in command.

Bassett reported to the Pacific Fleet on 1 May 1945. Amphibious training in the Hawaiian Islands was followed by convoy duty to Eniwetok, Guam, Ulithi, Hollandia, and Leyte. Upon reporting to Commander, Philippine Sea Frontier, Bassett transported mail and passengers to various Philippine ports and to Brunei Bay, Borneo.

On 2 August 1945, while on anti-submarine patrol off the coast of Leyte, she received orders to investigate reports of a large group of survivors 200 miles away. Bassett steamed to the scene and rescued 150 survivors of Indianapolis (CA-35) which had been sunk 30 July by a Japanese submarine.

With the cessation of hostilities Bassett took part in the Japanese occupation. After landing troops at Wakayama and Nagoya, Japan, she served as harbor entrance control vessel at Nagoya until detached 18 November 1945 and ordered to the United States. Arriving in the United States, she had a short stay at San Diego and then proceeded to Philadelphia, via the Panama Canal. After undergoing yard availability at Philadelphia Navy Yard she reported to the 16th Fleet, Green Cove Springs, Fla. for inactivation. Bassett went out of commission in reserve 29 April 1946.

On 7 December 1950 Bassett was recommissioned and reported to the Amphibious Force, Atlantic Fleet. Since that time she has operated along the eastern seaboard and in the Caribbean. Between June and August 1952 she participated in a midshipmen cruise to the British Isles and France. During October 1955 Bassett was ordered to Tampico, Mexico, where raging floods caused by hurricane "Janet" had engulfed 32,000 square miles of Mexican territory. While at Tampico, Bassett working in conjunction with Saipan (CVL-48), rendered invaluable services to the distressed people by carrying supplies and rescuing those marooned by the swollen Panuco River. Between March and October 1956 she served as a unit of an amphibious task force in the Mediterranean. During this cruise she took part, as primary control ship, in four amphibious operations.