From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships


Born 30 March 1918 in Detroit, Mich., Remi August Balduck enlisted in the Marine Corps 4 September 1940. Corporal Balduck was killed in action 9 November 1942 while leading the repulse of a Japanese frontal attack against American positions on Guadalcanal. For his actions he was posthumously awarded the Navy Cross.

(APD-132: dp. 1390; l. 306'; b. 36'10"; dr. 13'9"; s. 23.6 k.; cpl. 204; a. 1 5"; cl. Crosley)

Balduck (DE-716) was reclassified APD-132, 17 July 1944; launched 27 October 1944 by Defoe Shipbuilding Co., Bay City, Mich.; sponsored by Mrs. Mary Verhougstraete, mother of Corporal Balduck; and commissioned 7 May 1945, Lieutenant R. T. Newell, Jr., USNR, in command.

Departing Oceanside, Calif., 16 August 1945, Balduck steamed to Okinawa, arriving 3 September. She participated in the occupation of Korea and Tsingtao, China until 12 October 1945. She departed 19 October for San Diego, arriving 7 November. As a member of Transport Division 112 she conducted five voyages between San Diego and San Pedro, Calif., carrying personnel, before commencing her pre-inactivation overhaul. She went out of commission in reserve at San Diego 31 May 1946.

Balduck was recommissioned 5 November 1953 and assigned to Amphibious Control Division 12. Between 8 December 1953 and 25 March 1954 she was at San Francisco Naval Shipyard undergoing repairs and overhaul. Upon return to San Diego Balduck joined Amphibious Control Division 11. She exercised in the area with underwater demolition teams and on anti-submarine warfare training.

On 1 September 1954 Balduck departed San Diego and steamed to Yokosuka, Japan, reporting to Amphibious Transport Division 31. She arrived 14 October 1954 at Haiphong, Indo-China, and assisted in the evacuation of Vietnamese. She then steamed to the Tachen Islands, arriving 9 February 1985, where she operated with units of TF 77 during the evacuation of Nationalist Chinese soldiers and civilians. Between 1 and 17 March Balduck steamed with a task unit between Yokosuka and San Diego. Following repairs she operated out of San Diego on anti-submarine, amphibious, and air defense training exercises.

Arriving at Yokosuka, Japan, 15 September 1985, Balduck cruised in Japanese and Philippine waters and participated in amphibious landing exercises until returning to San Diego 23 March 1956. Since her return from the Far East Balduck has continued to operate out of San Diego on anti-submarine and amphibious training exercises.