anti-submarine / utility helicopter
Three Sikorsky H04S-2 models were purchased in 1952 to act as
plane guards off MAGNIFICENT, and ten more -3 models were purchased in
1955 primarily for ASW duties from both MAGNIFICENT and BONAVENTURE.
When the RCN began trials to operate helicopters from frigates and
destroyers, starting in 1956 from a temporary
landing deck structure fitted to HMCS BUCKINGHAM, it was the H04S
that participated. Starting in 1963, the RCN began to receive the new
Sikorsky Sea King, but the H04S remained in service with the RCN until
at least 1967.
(click on thumbnail for bigger image)
Rankin-Lowe, Jeff. (2001). International Air Power Review -
Carrier Aviation Issue. AirTime Publishing.