From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
A Mimac Indian word meaning "to listen."
Chegodega (YTB-542) was built by Consolidated Shipbuilding Corp., Morris Heights, N.Y., in 1945. Placed in service, on 16 November 1945, she was assigned to the Service Force, Pacific Fleet until placed in reserve, in March 1946. In January 1951, she was returned to active duty in the 1st Naval District, where she continues to operate.