From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
A Navajo word meaning "shade" or "shelter."
Chahao (YTB-496) was built by Ira S. Bushey and Sons, Inc., Brooklyn, N.Y., in 1944-1945. She was placed in service in March 1946 and assigned to the Pacific Fleet for a brief time prior to her transfer to Advanced Bases, Pacific Area. She continues to perform her tug services in the Subic Bay area.
Transcribed by: firstname.lastname@example.org
HTML conversion by: EPM
Date: 31 Jan 1999