From: Dictionary of
American Naval Fighting Ships
An old Indian village in northern Florida.
YTB-391: dp. 237; l. 100'; b. 25'; dr. 9'7"; s. 12 k.
Itara (YTB-391), originally classified YT-391, was
launched by Consolidated Shiphuilding Co., Morris Heights, N.Y., as YTB-391, 6
September 1944; and placed in service 30 December 1944.
Assigned to the 6th Naval District at Norfolk, Itara
served as a harbor tug at the Navy's giant Hampton Roads base throughout
the war. After 1945 she continued on
duty at Norfolk, one of the hundreds of yard craft necessary to the smooth
functioning of the Navy in the cold war. She was reclassified YTM-391 on 1 February 1962. Itara continued to serve at Norfolk
through 1966 into 1967.
Transcribed by: Bill