From: Dictionary of
American Naval Fighting Ships
YTB-220: dp. 415; l. 110'; b. 28'; dr. 13'; s. 12 k.
The second Iona (YTB-220), a wooden tug originally
classified YT-220, was launched by Greenport Basin & Construction Co.,
Greenport, N.Y., 26 August 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Martina E Swanson; and
placed in service 2 February 1945.
The new tug was assigned harbor duty in the 14th
Naval District, based at Pearl Harbor, and she remained there until transferred
to the Philippine Islands in 1956. At
Subic Bay Iona performed harbor duties so necessary for the smooth functioning
of a great naval base and was reclassifled YTM-220 in February 1962. In June 1963, following accidental sinking
in May, she was disposed of by burning.
Transcribed by: Bill