From: Dictionary of
American Naval Fighting Ships
A former name retained, meaning
"water fowl" in Hawaiian.
YTB-16,. dp. 290; l. 146'1"; b. 40'6"; dr.
10'1"; s. 8 k.
Manuwai (YTB-16), built by Supple & Martin,
Portland, Oreg., was completed in November 1927; purchased by the Navy from Young
Bros., Honolulu, and placed in service 9 July 1941.
primarily between Ford Island and the mainland of Oahu, served in Pearl Harbor
throughout her naval career. On 28
February 1949, the wooden ferry was placed out of service, in reserve, at Pearl
Harbor and put in dry storage on the deck of YCV-12. She was struck from the
Naval Register 17 September 1954.
Transcribed by: Bill