From: Dictionary of
American Naval Fighting Ships
An Indian chief of the Mingo band noted as an orator
and advocate of peace between the French and English during the French and
YT-463: dp. 206; l. 102'2"; b. 241; dr. 12'4"; s.
12 k.; a. 2.50 cal. mg.
Kiasutha (YT-463) was built in 1943 by
Gulfport Boller & Welding Works, Port Arthur, Tex., and placed in service
13 September 1943. Assigned to the
Pacific, she departed New Orleans 3 October and sailed via the Panama Canal for
Espiritu Santo, New Hebrides, to join Service Squadron, South Pacific Force. Reclassified as YTB-463 on 15 May 1944, she
conducted tug and salvage operations out of Espiritu Santo until she reported
to the Commander, Pacific Forward area 12 May 1945. She continued to operate in
the Pacific until she was placed out of service at Pearl Harbor 1 May 1947.
Towed by PCE-844, Kiasutha arrived San Diego 23 September and was
transferred to the Panama Canal Zone 15 November. Departing San Diego 20 November, she arrived Panama Canal under
tow 11 December. Her name was struck
from the Naval Register 5 December. She
was subsequently transferred to the Panama Canal Corp.
Transcribed by: Bill