From: Dictionary of American Fighting Ships
Title and hero of a poem by Longfellow; a famous Mohawk chieftain.
(YT - 265: dp. 237; l. 100'; b. 25'; dr. 9'7"; s. 13 k.)
Hiawatha (YT-265), a harbor tug, was built as Port Angeles under Maritime Commission Contract by Birchfield Boiler Inc., Tacoma, Wash.; launched 3 April 1942; and sponsored by Mrs. Violet Davies. Acquired by the Navy 30 April 1942, the tug's name was changed to Hiawatha and she was placed in service.
Hiawatha performed harbor tug duties for the 13th Naval District at Seattle, Wash., during the remainder of World War II and after. She was redesignated YTB, large harbor tug, 15 May 1944. In 1948 she was assigned to the 12th Naval District and operated as a tug for the San Francisco Naval Shipyard. Hiawatha was redesignated YTM-265, medium harbor tug, in February 1962; and she continues to serve at San Francisco Naval Shipyard.
Transcribed by Yves HUBERT (email@example.com)