From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
YT-176: dp. 206; l. 102'; b. 25'; dr. 10'; s. 12 k.; a. 2 30 cal. mg.
Junaluska (YT-176) was built by the Gulfport Boiler & Welding Co., Port Arthur, Tex., in 1941 as Gulfport Hull 189; acquired by the Navy from the General Motors Corp. 4 June 1941; and commissioned at Port Arthur, Tex., 23 October, Ens. D. A. Tufts in command.
Junaluska, sailing from Port Arthur 3 November for the Atlantic coast and via Key West arrived Hampton Roads, Va., 23 November, and reported for duty with the Atlantic Fleet. Three days later she departed for the Naval Operating Base, Argentia, Newfoundland. Steaming via Bostori, she arrived Argentia 16 December. She immediately commenced duty as a yard tug, assisting destroyers, escort ships, and merchantmen to and from the harbor as they departed or returned from the busy North Atlantic convoy routes. She towed targets during air and naval gunnery practice and tended the ASW defense nets that protected Placentia Bay.
Transcribed by: Bill Mozingo, email@example.com