From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
Active is an adjective denoting action
(AT:dp. 296; l. 107'; b. 2216"; dr. 10'; s. 12 k.; cpl. 20; a. 2 3")
The third Active was a tug built in 1888 by Union Iron Works, San Francisco, Calif.; purchased 18 April 1898; and commissioned 6 July 1898, Ensign T. M. Shaw in command.
In August 1898 Active reported to the Naval Station, Bremerton, Wash., as harbor tug. The following year she moved to Mare Island Navy Yard where she spent the rest of her service as yard tug. Active was one of the Navy vessels which helped fight the San Francisco fire of 1906. She was renamed Lively, 11 April 1918, an designated YT-14 in 1920. Decommissioned 16 Angus 1926, she was sold 4 February 1930.
Transcribed by: epm
Date: 25 April 1999