From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting
Yard Tug No. 1: dp. 192;
lbp. 92’6"; b. 20’11~"; dr. 8’; s. 11.5 k.
Wahneta (Yard Tug No. 1) was laid down in April 1891 at
Boston, Mass., by the City Point Iron Works launched on 3 March 1892 and
subsequently was placed in service and assigned to the 5th Naval
Stationed at the Norfolk
Navy Yard, the tug engaged in the unglamorous but vital tug, tow, and general
harbor duties. In February 1893, she served as a seagoing observation platform
off Port Royal, S.C. From her deck, observers watched test firings of
"dynamite gun cruiser" Vesuvius’ guns 15-inch pneumatic rifles.
Returning to her routine work soon thereafter, the tug remained based at
Norfolk from 1893 to 1922, through both the Spanish American and First World
Wars. On 17 July 1920, the ship was designated YT-1. Subsequently placed out of
service at Norfolk on 4 August, the venerable yard craft was sold on 6 December
1922 to the Norfolk Lighterage Company.
Transcribed by: Bill Mozingo, email@example.com