From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
YO-155: dp. 792; l. 208'1"; b. 39'1"; dr. 11'8"; a. none
Kapvik (YO-155) was built as Poling Bros. Barge No. 9 by John H. Mathis Co., Camden, N.J., in 1934 and owned by Augustus and Chester A. Poling of New York City. Loaded with a partial cargo of gasoline, the commercial barge broke from her moorings in New York harbor during a storm in late 1941; drifted out to sea; and finally washed ashore in January 1942 8 miles east of Vik on the southern coast of Iceland. On 17 May plans were approved for the Naval Operating Base at Reykjavik, Iceland, to salvage Poling Bros. Barge No. 9.
Under the command of Comdr. L. Kaplan, Salvage Officer of the Naval Operating Base, salvage operations began 26 May. Though not a large undertaking, the task proved both challenging and trying. Along the coast of southern Iceland, where the sea was calm for less than 7 days out of the year, the powerful surf pounded the shore with "unremitting force." And yet, aided by a favorable sea and wind at the crucial moment, the barge was pulled off the shore 23 June by Barnegat (AVP-10) and refloated. The following day she was towed to Hvalfjordur, Iceland. Renamed Kapvik, she was placed "in operation" 10 September.
Transcribed by: Bill Mozingo, firstname.lastname@example.org