From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
Buckeye is a tree.
(YN-8: dp. 560: l. 163'2"; b. 30'6"; dr. 11'8"; s. 12.6 k; cpl. 43; a. 1 3"; cl. Aloe)
Cottonwood (YN-8) was renamed Buckeye 16 October 1940 launched 26 July 1941 by Commercial Iron Works, Portland, Oreg.; sponsored by Miss Sara Ann Telfer; and placed in service 5 September 1941, Lieutenant E. Johnson, USNR, in charge.
Buckeye tended nets near Seattle Wash. as part of the Inshore Patrol, 13th Naval District, until transferred to Dutch Harbor, Alaska, in the fall of 1942. She was commissioned 26 December 1942 and reclassified AN-13, 20 January 1944. Buckeye tended nets, conducted diving and salvage operations, and laid out moorings at Dutch Harbor and Attu until returning to Seattle in June 1944.
Following repairs at Seattle (24 July-11 September 1944), she made a voyage to Pearl Harbor and then returned to Naval Net Depot, Tiburon, Calif., 12 October. The net tender returned to Pearl Harbor 6 February 1945 and proceeded westward to serve at Funafuti, Ellice Islands; Manus, Admiralty Islands; Hollandia, New Guinea; and Leyte, Manila Bay, and Subic Bay, Philippine Islands. After repairs at Subic Bay during late 1945 Buckeye returned to Manila Bay to serve as a harbor entrance control vessel. She returned to Subic Bay 14 April 1946 to assist in the inactivation of vessels there. On 17 July 1946 she ran aground in Subic Bay but was freed 12 days later by Elder (AN-20) and towed to Alava Dock for repairs. Buckeye went into reserve at Subic Bay in March 1947.