From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
YN-67: dp. 1.100; l. 194'6", b. 37', dr. 13'6", s. 12 k. cpl. 56; a. 1 3", 4 20mm.; cl. Ailanthue
Lancewood (YN-67) was laid down as Ironwood 15 October 1942 by Pollack Stockton Shipbuilding Co., Stockton, Calif.; renamed Lancewood 3 April 1943, Iaunched 2 May 1943; and commissioned 18 October 1943, Lt. Tyler Kaune in command.
After shakedown off the California coast, Lancewood was assigned to the 12th Naval District, San Francisco. Reclassifled AN-48 on 20 January 1944, she tended nets and repaired net lines until departing San Francisco 1 December. Loaded with fleet moorings, she steamed via San Pedro to Pearl Harbor, where she arrived the 16th.
Lancewood sailed for the western Pacific 24 January 1945. After touching Eniwetok and Guam, she reached a holding area off Iwo Jima 20 February and 3 days later began pulling damaged landing craft off the beaches to facilitate unloading operations. She placed moorings, laid nets, and salvaged landing craft off Iwo Jima until 12 April when she departed for the Marianas.
Lancewood served at Guam from 19 April to 10 June then she proceeded to Ulithi, where she arrived 12 June for duty as net repair ship. She began to remove net defenses 30 August, then steamed to Yap Island 2 September for the surrender of Japanese forces there the following day. She remained at Yap until 7 September, returned to Ulithi the 8th, and resumed net removal operations.
Loaded with net panels, Lancewood sailed to Saipan 14 to 17 October and unloaded her cargo. Departing 26 October, she steamed via Midway and Pearl Harbor for the west Coast, arriving San Francisco 25 November. Remaining at San Francisco, she decommissioned 11 February 1946. Berthed at Suisun Bay, Calif., she was sold 28 April 1947 to Robert A. Martinolich, San Francisco, and transferred 3 May to the Maritime Commission for simultaneous delivery to her purchaser, the French government, and commissioned as Commandant Charcot.
Transcribed by: Bill Mozingo, email@example.com