From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
A Montauk Indian who rendered great service to settlers and the
authorities of New England and New York in the latter half of the
Cockenoe (YN-47) was launched by Gulfport Boiler and Welding Works, Port Arthur, Tex., bought by the Navy on 21 December 1940, and placed in service 31 December 1940. She was reclassified YNT-15 on 1 May 1942.
Assigned to the 14th Naval District, Cockenoe was towed to Pearl Harbor, arriving 17 June 1941. She served as net tender at the entrance to Honolulu Harbor throughout her naval service. She was placed out of service on 18 January 1947 and transferred to the Maritime Commission on 16 July 1947.