From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
Boxwood is an evergreen shrub.
(YN-3: dp. 560; l. 163'2"; b. 30'6"; dr. 11'8"; s. 12.5 k.; cpl. 44; a. 1 3"; cl. Aloe)
Birch (YN-3) was renamed Boxwood 16 October 1940; launched 8 March 1941 by Lake Washington Shipyards Houghton, Wash.; and placed in service 25 July 1941, Lieutenant R. W. Nordstrom, USNR, in charge.
Boxwood tended nets at Seattle, Wash., as part of the Inshore Patrol, 13th Naval District, until sailing for Alaska 1 July 1943. She was commissioned 2 January 1943 and reclassified AN-8, 20 January 1944. Through 1945 Boxwood tended nets, as well as placing moorings and navigational aids at Adak, Atka, Amchitka, and Attu Islands. After assisting in the removal of nets, salvage of equipment, and the transport of passengers and mail in Alaskan and Aleutian waters, she returned to Puget Sound Naval Shipyard in August 1946. Her inactivation completed, Boxwood went out of commission in reserve at Portland, Oreg., 13 November 1946.