From: Dictionary of American Fighting Ships
A commercially important coniferous timber tree of California that often reaches a height of 300 feet.
(YN - 25:dp.805; l. 163'2"; b.30'6"; dr. 11'8"; s. 12k.; cpl.48; a. 1 3", 3 20mm., 2 dct.; cl. Aloe)
Redwood (YN-25) was laid down by the American Shipbuilding Co., Cleveland, Ohio, 18 October 1940; launched 22 February 1941; and commissioned 12 December 1942, Lt. Comdr. Max A. Morrison, USNR, in command.
Following shakedown, Redwood steamed south to the British West Indies. Engaged in the installation of torpedo nets at Trinidad until March 1943, she shifted to Antigua in April, tending nets there through May. Net maintenance activities at Barbados, St. Thomas, and St. Lucia Islands followed and, in mid August, she commenced similar activities at Guantanamo Bay. For the remainder of World War II she tended nets there and at ports on Hispaniola.
Reclassified AN-30, 20 January 1944, Redwood returned to Trinidad in August 1945 and through September assisted in disposal of nets at sea. She then sailed for the east coast and, after availability at Charleston Navy Yard, she reported on 24 November to the Atlantic Reserve Fleet at Green Cove Springs, Fla., where she decommissioned 6 June 1947. In June 1961 she was transferred to the Maritime Administration's National Defense Reserve Fleet.
Transcribed by Yves HUBERT (firstname.lastname@example.org)