From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
YN-16: dp. 560; l. 157'8"; b. 30'6"; dr. 10'6"; s. 14.5 k. cpl.48; a. 1 3", 2.50 cal: AA, 1 Y-gun; cl. Aloe
Larch (YN16) was laid down 18 October 1940 by Marietta Manufacturing Co., Point Pleasant, W. Va., launched 2 July 1941; and placed in service 13 December 1941, Lt. C. B. Coale, USNR, in command.
After shakedown, Larch was assigned to the 3d Naval District, and operated on ASW patrol out of New York harbor. Departing New York 12 April 1942, the net tender arrived Trinidad, 2 weeks later for patrol and net laying operations in the West Indies.
Larch was placed in full commission at Trinidad 13 December 1942, Lt. C. C. Dilcer in command and was reclassified AN-21 on 20 January 1944. Playing a small but vital role, she laid, maintained, and removed antitorpedo and antisubmarine nets in the West Indies throughout World War II. On 10 January 1945, Larch helped salvage a Pan American Clipper which had crashed in the Gulf of Paria, Venezuela, recovering six bodies and the plane fuselage.
Transcribed by: Bill Mozingo, email@example.com