From: Dictionary of American Fighting Ships


Any of a genus of trees and shrubs having thick, glossy, spiny margined leaves and bright red berries.

(YN - 14: dp. 560; l. 163'2"; b. 30'6"; dr. 11'8"; s. 12 k.; cpl. 48; a. 1 3"; cl. A1oe)

The second Holly (YN-14) was launched by Marietta Manufacturing Co., Point Pleasant, W. Va., 17 April 1941; and after the long trip down the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers was placed in service at Algiers, La., 11 October 1941, Ens. R. G. Coburn, Jr., in command.

The net tender spent the first year of her service at various Gulf and East Coast ports servicing harbor nets. She performed this duty at Key West, Newport, and Boston. Holly commissioned at Boston 15 December 1942, Lt. J. M. C. Tighe in command.

Holly sailed 24 December 1942 to tend nets in New York harbor and harbors on the island of Jamaica, en route to the Canal Zone where she arrived 19 January 1943. There she continued servicing net defenses until departing in convoy for Bora Bora 19 February. In the months that followed she steamed between Pago Pago, Suva Harbor, Noumea, and Espiritu Santo, working on vital net facilities which helped keep American bases and staging areas secure. Holly's classification was changed to AN-19, 20 January 1944.

In early 1944, the ship joined LST Flotilla 5 in preparation for the invasion of the Marianas. Arriving Kwajalein 6 June 1944, the ship sailed 3 days later with an LST group for the invasion area. During the preinvasion bombardment and reconnaissance 17 June, the fleet came under heavy air attack. Holly's guns assisted in downing several enemy planes; and, when LCI-468 was damaged in the battle, moved swiftly to take her in tow. With the assault well underway, the net tender proceeded to Eniwetok 25 June, arriving 5 days later.

Holly resumed her net servicing duties in the South Pacific during the remainder of the war, returning to San Pedro soon after the surrender of Japan 15 August 1945. After a short voyage to Pearl Harbor to help dismantle net defenses September-October she arrived Bremerton, Wash., 28 October 1945. and decommissioned at Astoria 7 June 1946. Holly remained in the Pacific Reserve Fleet until being stricken 1 September 1962, and transferred to the National Defense Reserve Fleet, Olympia, Wash., under Maritime Administration custody.

Holly received one battle star for World War II service.

Transcribed by Yves HUBERT (