From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
A dwarf chestnut tree
YN - 12: dp. 560 l. 163'2" b. 30'6"
dr. 11'8" s. 12 k. cpl. 48 a. 1 x 3"
Chinquapin , ex-Fir, renamed on 16 October 1940, was launched 15 July 1941 by General Engineering and Dry Dock Co., Alameda, Calif.; sponsored by Mrs. J. Lane; and placed in service 29 October 1941. She was commissioned 6 January 1943, Lieutenant R. D. Abernathy, USNR, in command.
Assigned to the 12th Naval District, Chinquapin conducted net, salvage, and towing operations out of Tiburon Net Depot until 31 December 1943 when she sailed for Pearl Harbor, arriving 10 January 1944. On 20 January she was redesignated AN-17.
Chinquapin tended nets and laid moorings at Majuro, Kwajalein, and Eniwetok from 15 February 1944 to 27 July, then supported the Marianas occupation by similar operations at Saipan and Guam until 28 October. Returning via Pearl Harbor to San Francisco as a convoy escort, Chinquapin was overhauled, and on 3 February 1945 sailed via Pearl Harbor and Ulithi for Okinawa, arriving 1 May, for net, mooring and transport operations there until 30 October. She returned to Astoria, Oreg., 11 December and was placed out of commission in reserve 6 March 1946.
Chinquapin received three battle stars for World War II service.
Transcribed by: email@example.com
HTML conversion by: EPM
Date: 24 Jan 1999