From: Dictionary of American Fighting Ships
(YAGR - 8: dp. 10,760 (fl.); l. 441'6"; b. 56'11"; dr. 24'; s. 11 k.; cpl. 151; cl. Guardian; T. Z-EC2-S-C5)
Intercepter [sic; Interceptor] (YAGR-8) was launched as Liberty Ship Edward W. Burton by J. A. Jones Construction Co., Inc., Panama City, Fla., 12 September 1945; sponsored by Miss Juanita M. Kaylor; and delivered to T..J. Stevenson & Co. 8 November 1945. She served several lines as a cargo ship until being placed in the National Defense Reserve Fleet at Wilmington 20 June 1948. Acquired by the Navy 28 June 1955, the ship was converted to Navy use at Charleston Naval Shipyard and commissioned Interceptor 15 February 1956, Lt. Comdr. B L. Hall in command.
Interceptor was designed to carry the latest in long-range radar and communications equipment and to act as an ocean radar station ship. Following shakedown training she sailed from Charleston 17 March en route to her new home port, San Francisco. Arriving via the Panama Canal 11 April, the ship began a regular cycle of 3- to 4-week at-sea periods as a picket ship under the Continental Air Defense Command. Operating with search aircraft, Interceptor could detect, track, and report aircraft at great distances as well as control interceptor aircraft in the event of an air attack on the United States. Patrolling off the coast of Canada she formed an integral part of North America's air early warning system. Reclassified AGR-8, radar picket ship, 28 September 1958, Interceptor for the next 7 years operated with NORAD in forming an important link in the nation's defenses. Interceptor was struck from the Navy List 1 September 1965 and placed in the National Defense Reserve Fleet at Suisun Bay, Calif., where she remains.
Transcribed by Yves HUBERT (firstname.lastname@example.org)