From: Dictionary of American Fighting Ships
(YAGR - 14: dp. 10,760 (fl.); l. 441'6"; b. 56'11"; dr. 24'; s. 11 k.; cpl. 151; cl. Guardian; T. Z-EC2-S-C5)
Interpreter (AGR-14) was launched as Liberty Ship Dudley H. Thomas by J. A. Jones Construction Co., Inc., Panama City, Fla., 8 February 1945; sponsored by Miss Carrie Corbitt; and delivered 21 February 1945 to Merchants and Miners Transportation Co., Boston. The ship served as an aircraft freighter during the war and later as a cargo ship for various companies. She was in the National Defense Reserve Fleet 1947-1951 and from 25 August 1953 until acquired by the Navy 5 June 1957. Renamed Interpreter, the ship was converted to Navy use at Philadelphia Naval Shipyard and commissioned there 29 September 1958, Comdr. J. S. Craft in command.
One of a class of sixteen radar picket ships, Interpreter conducted shakedown exercises in the Caribbean before departing Guantanamo Bay 1 February 1959 for her new home port, San Francisco. Equipped with the most advanced long range radar and communications gear, Interpreter jointed the Continental Air Defense Command as part of America's vital early warning system. Operating with search aircraft for periods of 3 to 4 weeks at sea, the ship reported and tracked aircraft at great distances and controlled interceptors in the event of enemy air attack.
Interpreter continued regular patrols in the Contiguous Radar Barrier, for 6 years, providing a vital link in the air defense of her country.
Struck 1 July 1965 Interpreter was turned over to the Maritime Reserve Fleet, Suisun Bay, Calif., where she remains.
Transcribed by Yves HUBERT (firstname.lastname@example.org)