From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
YAGR-13: dp. 10760 (f.), l. 44.'B", 5B'11"- dr. 24'; s. 11 k.; cpl. 149; cl. Guardian; T. ~1BC2-S'5
Interdictor (YAGR-13) was launched as Liberty Ship Edwin H. Dug by J. A. Jones Construction Company, Inc., Panama City, Fla. 29 June 1945, sponsored by Mrs. Edwin H. Dug, and delivered to McCormack Steamship Co. 27 July 1915. She carried aircraft until entering the National Defense Reserve Fleet, James River, Va., 17 October 1945, and except for brief cargo service remained there until being acquired by the Navy 10 May 1957. Renamed Interdictor and converted to Navy use at Charleston Naval Shipyard, she commissioned 7 April 1958, Lt. Comdr. J. P. Dordahl in command.
Fitted with the latest and best electronic search and tracking equipment, Interdictor sailed 2 May 1958 for shakedown training in the Caribbean. She departed Charleston 18 July and sailed to her new homeport, San Francisco. Arriving 13 August, the ship assumed her role as an ocean radar station ship, part of America's vast early warning defense system. Operating with search aircraft, Interdictor could detect, track, and report enemy aircraft at great distances, supplementing land-based radar stations, and control high-speed interceptor aircraft in case of attack. She also carried out weather reporting duties during her three to four week cruises in the Pacific.
Transcribed by: Bill Mozingo, email@example.com