From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
ScTug: t. 115; l. 84'7"; b. 18'9"; dr. 7'; cpl. 17; a. 112-pdr (hv.), 1 12-pdr. r.
Marigold, a screw tug built at Philadelphia in 1863 was purchased by the Navy at Philadelphia 13 June 1863 and commissioned there the same day, Acting Master L. 11. Partridge in command.
Assigned to the East Gulf Blockading Squadron she served as a tug, dispatch boat, and blockader through the end of the Civil War. On 6 October Marigold shared in the capture of blockade runner, Last Trial, which was attempting to slip through the Union cordon of warships with salt for the South. On 9 April 1864 while bringing mail from Key West, to Havana, she fired on English merchantman Belle, coming from Matamoras, Mexico; but the British ship reached safety in the neutral port. On 25 February 1867, the steam tug captured British schooner Salvadora in the Straits of Florida heading for the Confederate coast with an assorted cargo.
Transcribed by: Bill Mozingo, firstname.lastname@example.org