From: Dictionary of
American Naval Fighting Ships
ScTug: t. 75; l. 06', b. 16'3"; dph. 7'9"; s 13 k.
The first Harcourt,
a screw tug, was purchased by the Navy at New York from a private owner 14 June
1864. Her first commanding officer was Acting Ensign J. A. Chadwick.
After a brief period as dispatch boat at Hampton
Roads, Harcourt was ordered 31 July
1864 to Beaufort, N.C. to see the North Atlantic Blockading Squadron as a pilot
tug. She remained at Beaufort carrying
pilots to and from ships in the harbor until returning to Norfolk for repairs
in November 1864. She later spent a
brief period as patrol point on the James River in March 1865 and in April
assisted in towing the hulk of former C.S.S. d Albemarle, the formidable ram
sunk in Albemarle Sound 27 October 1864 by Lt. W. B. Cushing, to Norfolk Navy
Yard, where she arrived 27 April. Harcourt performed various tug duties in
Hampton Roads until placed in ordinary 20 November 1865. She was sold at Norfolk 16 April 1867.
Transcribed by: Bill