From: Dictionary of American Fighting Ships
Former name retained.
Earnest, a Coast and Geodetic Survey vessel, was transferred to the Navy by Executive order, 28 February 1898, and fitted out as a lighter for use by Puget Sound Navy Yard. In 1902 she was towed to the Naval Training Station, Yerba Buena, San Francisco, serving thereafter in training apprentices. Damaged when grounded in a storm in March 1904, Earnest was stricken from the Navy List, and sold 10 May 1905 to the California Academy of Science.
Transcribed by Yves HUBERT (firstname.lastname@example.org)