From: Dictionary of American Fighting Ships
A familiar flowering herb.
(Tug: t. 111; l. 90'; b. 19'; dph. 7'6"; s. 19 k.; cpl. 21; a. 2 12-pdr. how.)
Dandelion, a steam tug, was built as Antietam in 1862 by Winson and Co., Philadelphia, Pa.; purchased by the Navy 21 November 1862; renamed Dandelion; and outfitted at Philadelphia Navy Yard. Commanded by Acting Master C. Folsom, Dandelion sailed from Philadelphia 12 December 1862 for duty with the South Atlantic Blockading Squadron, arriving at Port Royal, S.C., 4 days later. She served as a tug in the coastal and inland waters of South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida until the end of hostilities. On 3 March 1863 she took part in an engagement between Union ships and Fort McAllister, and on 8 April she rescued the crew of Keokuk which sank off Morris Island near Charleston, S.C. During 9 and 10 July 1863 she towed into Folly River, S.C., the boats of an expedition which captured Morris Island. She participated in the attacks on Fort Wagner, S.C., on 24 July and 17 August, and from 7 to 21 February 1864 accompanied an expedition up St. John's River, Fla.
Dandelion sailed from Charleston 2 July 1865 and arrived at New York a week later. She was decommissioned there 14 July 1865, and sold 15 August 1865.
Transcribed by Yves HUBERT