From: Dictionary of
American Naval Fighting Ships
SwTug: t. 133; l. 117'; b. 36'; dph. 6'2"; cpl. 25; a.
2 20-pdr. r.
The first Columbine,
a side wheel tug, was built in New York during 1850 as A. H. Schultz; purchased
by the Navy 12 December 1862, outfitted by Howe &s Copeland, New York, and
placed under the command of Acting Master J. S. Dennis.
patrolled with the South Atlantic Blockading Squadron off Port Royal, S.C.,
from 6 January 1863 until 14 February 1864 when she arrived at Jacksonville,
Fla. From 9 to 12 March she
participated in an expedition up the St. John's and Ocklawaha Rivers during
which she took one prize. On 22 May she
again ascended the St. John's River bound for the relief of besieged Army posts
but the following day she was captured and burned by the Confederates.
Transcribed by: Bill