Buckeye is a tree.
(YN-8: dp. 560: l. 163'2"; b. 30'6"; dr. 11'8"; s. 12.6 k; cpl. 43; a. 1 3"; cl. Aloe)
Cottonwood (YN-8) was renamed Buckeye 16 October 1940 launched 26 July 1941 by Commercial Iron Works, Portland, Oreg.; sponsored by Miss Sara Ann Telfer; and placed in service 5 September 1941, Lieutenant E. Johnson, USNR, in charg e.
Buckeye tended nets near Seattle Wash. as part of the Inshore Patrol, 13th Naval District, until transferred to Dutch Harbor, Alaska, in the fall of 1942. She was commissioned 26 December 1942 and reclassified AN-13, 20 January 1944. Buckeye tended nets, conducted diving and salvage operations, and laid out moorings at Dutch Harbor and Attu until returning to Seattle in June 1944.
Following repairs at Seattle (24 July-11 September 1944), she made a voyage to Pearl Harbor and then returned to Naval Net Depot, Tiburon, Calif., 12 October. The net tender returned to Pearl Harbor 6 February 1945 and proceeded westward to serve at Fu nafuti, Ellice Islands; Manus, Admiralty Islands; Hollandia, New Guinea; and Leyte, Manila Bay, and Subic Bay, Philippine Islands. After repairs at Subic Bay during late 1945 Buckeye returned to Manila Bay to serve as a harbor entrance control vess el. She returned to Subic Bay 14 April 1946 to assist in the inactivation of vessels there. On 17 July 1946 she ran aground in Subic Bay but was freed 12 days later by Elder (AN-20) and towed to Alava Dock for repairs. Buckeye went into rese rve at Subic Bay in March 1947.
Buckingham is a county in Virginia.
(APA-141: dp. 6873: l. 466'; b. 62'; dr. 24'; s. 17.7 k.; cpl. 536; a. 1 5"; cl. Haskell)
Buckingham (APA-141) was launched 13 November 1944 by California Shipbuilding Corp., Wilmington, Calif., under a Maritime Commission contract; sponsored by Mrs. S. J. Dickey; transferred to the Navy 23 January 1945; and commissioned the same day , Captain H. G. Moran in command.
On 3 April 1945 Buckingham departed the United States for the Pacific where she operated among the Hawaiian, Marshall, Marianas, Caroline, and Philippine Islands transporting troops and cargo. Between 26 September and 19 December 1945 she made t wo voyages between San Francisco and Japan with men and supplies for the occupation forces.
Buckingham was decommissioned 1 March 1946 and returned to the Maritime Commission four days later.
Buckingham, Governor see Governor Buckingham
Born in North Providence, R. I., 28 July 1920, John Daniel Buckley enlisted in the Navy in 1940. He was killed in action during the Japanese attack on the Hawaiian Islands 7 December 1941. Aviation Ordnanceman Buckley was commended by the Commander -in-Chief, Pacific Fleet, for prompt and efficient action and utter disregard for personal danger in the effort to repel the Japanese attack on the Naval Air Station, Kaneohe Bay, Oahu, Hawaii.
(DE-51: dp. 1400; l. 306'; b. 36'10"; dr. 13'6"; s. 24 k.; cpl. 186; a. 3 3", 3 21" TT.; cl. Buckley)
Buckley (DE-61) was launched 9 January 1943 by Bethlehem-Hingham Shipyard, Inc., Hingham, Mass.; sponsored by Mrs. James Buckley, mother of Aviation Ordnanceman Buckley; and commissioned 30 April 1943 Lieutenant Commander A. W. Slayden in comma nd.
Between July 1943 and 22 April 1944 Buckley operated along the eastern seaboard as training ship for prospective officers and nucleus crews of other destroyer escorts.
On 22 April 1944 she joined hunter-killer TG 21.11 for a sweep of the North Atlantic and Mediterranean convoy routes. On the morning of 6 May aircraft from Block Island (CVE-21) reported an enemy submarine near Buckley. She steamed toward the surfaced submarine evading her torpedoes and gunfire, and commenced firing. At 0328 Buckley rammed the German submarine U-66 and then backed off. Shortly thereafter, the submarine struck Buckley, opening a hole in t he escort vessel's starboard side. The U-66 drew astern of Buckley and sank at 0341 in 17°17' N., 32°24' W. Buckley picked up 36 German survivors and then retired to New York where she underwent repairs until 14 June 1944.
After completing refresher training at Casco Bay, Maine, in July 1944, Buckley escorted two convoys to North Africa (14 July-7 November 1944). She then operated on anti-submarine and convoy escort duty along the eastern seaboard and in the North Atlantic until June 1945. During this period Buckley and Reuben James (DE-153) sank the German submarine U-879 on 19 April 1945 in 42°19' N., 61°45' W.
Buckley escorted one more convoy to Algeria during June-July 1945 and upon her return to the east coast commenced conversion to a picket ship. In October 1945 she participated in the Navy Day ceremonies at Jacksonville, Fla., and then on the 31s t reported to the 16th Fleet at St. John's River, Fla. Buckley was placed out of commission in reserve 3 July 1946. On 26 April 1949 her classification was changed to DER-51 and on 29 September 1954 she was reclassified DE-51.
Buckley received the Navy Unit Commendation for sinking U-66 and three battle stars for her World War II service.
Buckley, Dennis J. (DD-808) see Dennis J. Buckley (DD 808)
Buckner, General Simon B. (AP-123) see Admiral E. W. Eberle (AP-123)
Buckthorn is a tree of the southern United States.
(ScStr: T. 128: l. 87'; b. 22'; dph. 7'7"; s. 8.5 k.; a. 1 30-pdr. R., 2 12-pdr. S. B.)
Buckthorn, a screw steamer, was built in 1863 at East Haddam, Conn., as Signal purchased by the Navy 22 December 1863; and commissioned at New York 7 April 1864, Acting Volunteer Lieutenant W. Godfrey in command.
Buckthorn served with the West Gulf Blockading Squadron during the Civil War and participated in the Battle of Mobile Bay (5 August 1864). She acted as a tender for the fleet and was also used as a dispatch vessel throughout her career. After th e Civil War she served at Pensacola Navy Yard until laid up in 1868. Buckthorn was sold at Pensacola, Fla., 7 September 1869.
(YN-9: dp. 560; l. 163'2"; b. 30'6"; dr. 11'8"; s. 12.5 k. cpl. 40; a. 1 3"; cl. Aloe)
Dogwoood (YN-9) was renamed Buckthorn 16 October 1940; launched 27 March 1941 by General Engineering and Dry Dock Co., Alameda, Calif., sponsored by Mrs. Rosalie B. Day; and placed in service 16 September 1941, Lieutenant L. Williams. USN R. in charge.
Buckthorn tended nets near San Pedro as a part of the Inshore Patrol, 11th Naval District, until June 1943 when she was reassigned to the 13th Naval District for Alaskan service. Placed in commission 9 December 1942, Buckthorn was reclass ified AN-14, 15 May 1944. She operated out of Dutch Harbor, Attu, and Adak tending nets, installing magnetic loops, and laying moorings until arriving at Seattle, Wash., 14 March 1946 After repairs which lasted until 16 July she returned to Alaska arrivin g at Kodiak 27 July. Buckthorn returned to Seattle 31 July 1947 and reached San Diego 6 August. She went out of commission in reserve there 20 August 1947.
Bucyrus is a city in Ohio.
(AR-234: dp. 4480: l. 455'; b. 62', dr. 29'2"; s. 15.5 k.; cpl. 99; a. 1 5", 1 3"; cl. Boulder Victory)
Bucyrus Victory (AR-234) was launched 31 October 1944 by Permanente Metals Corp., Yard No. 1, Richmond, Calif., under a Maritime Commission contract; sponsored by Sergeant Eleanor Fegley, USMC; transferred to the Navy 29 November 1944; and commi ssioned the same day, Lieutenant Commander F. A. Geissert in command.
Bucyrus Victory arrived at Pearl Harbor 3 January 1945. She returned to San Francisco on the 20th, having rescued three survivors of an airplane crash enroute. Heading westward again in February, she steamed to Eniwetok and Ulithi, before procee ding to Okinawa. Between 3 April and 30 June 1945 Bucyrus Victory carried supplies to the assault troops on Okinawa and to the 3d and 5th Fleet units supporting them.
With the cessation of hostilities she served on Far Eastern occupation duty until departing for the United States 16 November 1945. Upon arrival she underwent pre-inactivation overhaul and was decommissioned 24 February 1946. She was returned to the Ma ritime Commission 24 April 1946.
Bucyrus Victory received one battle star for her World War II service.
Former merchant name retained.
(AR: T. 4881: l. 405'; b. 52'5"; dr. 25'; s. 10.5 k.; cpl. 93; a. 1 5")
Buena Ventura (No. 1335), a cargo vessel, was launched in 1913 by Northumberland Shipbuilding Co., Ltd., Howden-on-Tyne, England; requisitioned by the Shipping Board for Army use; transferred to the Navy 25 July 1918; commissioned 26 July 1918, Lieutenant Commander H. Fitzsimons, USNRF, in command; and reported to the Naval Overseas Transportation Service.
On 9 August 1918 she sailed for New York to join a convoy departing on the 13th. On 14 September, after unloading her cargo at LaPallice, Royan, and Bordeaux, France, she sailed in a convoy bound for Philadelphia. Two days out of port the convoy was attacked by the German submarine U-46 and Buena Ventura was hit by two torpedoes at 2045. She was abandoned and sank a few minutes later with the loss of 19 men.
Buenaventura, Mission (AO-111) see Mission Buenaventura (AO-111)
The buffalo is both the North American bison and a city in New York.
(Sip: a. 2 18-pdr. S. B., 1 6-pdr. S. B.)
Buffalo, a three-gun sloop, was purchased in April 1813 armed at Philadelphia and attached to the Delaware Flotilla.
She served as a patrol vessel and transport in the Delaware River during the War of 1812. Under the command of Lieutenant Samuel Angus, and while serving as his flagship, Buffalo took part in the attack of the Delaware Flotilla on the British fr igate Junon and sloop-of-war Martin 29 July 1813.
She was sold at Philadelphia 12 August 1816.
(ScStr: dp. 6530: l. 406'1"; b. 48'3"; dr. 20'9"; s. 14.5 k.; cpl. 350; a. 2 5", 4 4"; cl. Buffalo)
The second Buffalo, an auxiliary cruiser, was built in 1892 by Newport News Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Co. Newport News, Va., as El Cid. Six months later she was sold to Brazil and renamed Nicheroy. Purchased by the Na vy from the Brazilian Government 11 July 1898, she was renamed Buffalo, commissioned in ordinary a week later; fitted out as an auxiliary cruiser at New York Navy Yard; and placed in full commission 22 September 1898, Commander J. W. Hamphil l in command.
Her first cruise, from 7 December 1898 to 7 May 1899 was from New York to Manila and return, sailing east. Upon her return she was placed out of commission 3 July 1899. On 2 April 1900 she was recommissioned and served as a training vessel. As a traini ng vessel Buffalo traveled widely. She made four voyages to the Philippines with replacement crews for the Asiatic Fleet (24 April-20 October 1900, 24 December 1900-13 May 1901, 5 June-13 October 1902, and 17 December 1903-14 July 1904). All except the last, which terminated at Mare Island, began and ended at east coast ports. On her last voyage Buffalo convoyed the 1st Torpedo Flotilla to Manila. Between 12 September and 23 November 1904 she cruised in the Pacific, returning to Mare Island.
Out of commission at Mare Island from April 1905 to 17 November 1906, she then served as a transport until 1915 in the Pacific. During 17-20 December 1909 she carried Marines to Nicaragua and remained there in support until 16 March 1910. In 1911-12 sh e served briefly with the Asiatic Fleet in Chinese waters and during 14 November-4 December 1914 operated off Mexico. She spent 27 January-29 November 1915 out of commission at Mare Island and then rejoined the Pacific Fleet. In 1916 she again served in M exican waters and between May and August 1917 Buffalo transported the Special Diplomatic Mission of the United States to Russia. Upon her return she was ordered into Philadelphia Navy Yard for conversion to a destroyer tender and reclassified AD-8. Conversion was completed in June 1918 and, after loading torpedo equipment at Newport, she departed for Brest, France, via Bermuda. She then proceeded to Gibraltar, where she operated as station and repair ship to destroyers and subchasers. From February until September 1919 she had similar duty with the Azores Detachment at Ponta Delgada and then returned to New York.
On 31 December 1919 Buffalo arrived at San Diego to commence her duties as repair ship and tender to Destroyer Squadrons 11 and 5, Pacific Fleet. In November 1921 she was ordered to the Asiatic Station as tender to Destroyer Squadron, Asiatic Fl eet, and arrived at Manila in December. During the summer of 1922 she cruised with the fleet in China waters and in September arrived at Yokohama, Japan. She returned to the west coast 8 October and was decommissioned 15 November 1922 at San Diego. She wa s used as a barracks ship until
stricken from the Navy List 27 May 1927. She was sold four months later.
Buffalo (CL-99) was reclassified CV-29 and renamed Bataan (q. v.) 2 June 1942.
Buffalo (CL-110) was laid down 3 April 1944 by New York Shipbuilding Corp., Camden, N. J., but canceled 12 August 1945 prior to launching.
John Buford was born in Kentucky and graduated from the Military Academy in 1848. During the Civil War he conducted a reconnaissance along the Rappahannock in June and July 1862; commanded a cavalry brigade during the operations of the Army of Virginia in 1862; engaged in Stoneman's expedition; Pleasanton's expedition, and in various cavalry operations along the Blue Ridge Mountains. General Buford was wounded near the Rappahannock River early in August 1862. He died in Washington 16 December 1863, aft er a protracted illness.
(AP: dp. 8583: l. 371'; b. 44'2"; dr. 26'; s. 10 k.; cpl. 202; a. 2 3")
Buford, a transport, was launched in 1890 by Harland and Wollf, Ltd., Belfast, Ireland, as Mississippi; purchased by the Army in 1898, becoming U. S. A. T. Buford; rebuilt in 1900 by the Newport News Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Co., Newport News, Va.; transferred to the Navy at New York 14 January 1919; and commissioned the next day, Lieutenant Commander C. A. Olson, USNRF, in command.
While serving as a unit of the Cruiser and Transport Force, Newport News Division, Buford made four round trips to France carrying cargo and returning 4717 American troops. In August 1919 she made one trip from New York to Colon and Cristobal, C . Z., to bring back passengers, cargo, and troops. Reporting to the Army Base, South Brooklyn, N. Y., 22 August 1919, she was decommissioned 2 September 1919 and returned to the Army Transport Service.
The bugara is a multicolored fish found along the coast of California.
(SS-331: dp. 1526: l. 311'9"; b. 27'3"; dr. 16'10"; s. 20.3 k.; cpl. 66; a. 1 5", 10 21" TT.; cl. Balao)
Bugara (SS-331) was launched 2 July 1944 by Electric Boat Co., Groton, Conn.; sponsored by Mrs. Lyman S. Perry, wife of Captain Perry; and commissioned 15 November 1944, Commander A. F. Schade in command.
Bugara's war operations extended from 21 February to 17 August 1945 during which she completed three war patrols in the Flores, Java, and South China Seas and the Gulf of Siam.
While the first two patrols of Bugara proved uneventful, her third war patrol might be classified as one of the most colorful to be made during the war. This patrol in the Gulf of Siam was highlighted by a series of excellently conducted gun att acks which disposed of 57 small ships totaling 5284 tons. All except two of these vessels were boarded and their native crews put safely ashore with their personal belongings. One of the many interesting incidents of this patrol was an encounter with a Ja panese ship manned by a Chinese crew being attacked by Malay pirates. Bugara rescued the Chinese, sank the Japanese ship, and then disposed of the pirates.
On 17 August 1945 Bugara arrived at Fremantle, Australia, from her last war patrol. After a few days Bugara sailed to Subic Bay, Philippine Islands, and joined the other units of her squadron. For the remainder of 1945 she operated out of Subic Bay. In January 1946 she returned to San Diego via Pearl Harbor. After a rehabilitation period on the west coast she returned to Pearl Harbor in May 1946.
She was overhauled at Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard in 1946 and during the fall of that year made a training cruise in the Bering Sea and then returned to Pearl Harbor via Seattle and Portland. In late October 1947 Bugara departed Pearl Harbor for California. She underwent a yard period between 20 November 1947 and 19 March 1948, returning to Pearl Harbor 27 March. In July she proceeded to Yokosuka, Japan, via Guam, Melbourne, Buckner Bay, and Tsingtao. She returned to Pearl Harbor 24 August 1948.
On 13 August 1949 she departed Pearl Harbor for overhaul at San Francisco, returning 3 January 1950. She then continued operations out of Pearl Harbor until 7 December 1954. Twice during this period she served in the Far East supporting the Korean oper ations.
On 7 December 1954 she departed Pearl Harbor for San Diego, where she arrived 15 December. Since that time Bugara has operated along the Pacific coast participating in type training and fleet exercises.
Bugara received three battle stars for her World War II service.
Buitenzorg is a city in western Java.
(AK: dp. 14,538: l. 464'; b. 44'2"; dr. 27'7"; s. 12.5 k.; cpl. 70; a. 1 6", 1 3")
Buitenzorg (No. 2793), a freighter, was launched in 1916 by Kon. Maats. de Schelde, Vlissengen, Holland, for Dutch owners; seized 20 March 1918 at New York by customs officials and turned over to the Shipping Board; transferred to the Navy the f ollowing day, and commissioned 29 March 1918, Lieutenant (junior grade) H. R. Epeland, USNRF in command.
Assigned to the Naval Overseas Transportation Service, Buitenzorg delivered general cargo to various French ports, making three round trips before the war ended. On her fourth voyage in November 1918 she was used as an animal transport, discharg ing her cargo at Quiberon and St. Nazaire, France. She made two more crossings in 1919 while operated by the Navy. On her sixth and last trip she was ordered to proceed to Rotterdam, Holland, and was returned to her Dutch owners 17 July 1919.
Born in New York City, 14 July 1914, Richard Bull enlisted in the Naval Reserve in 1938 and was designated a Naval Aviator in 1939. Lieutenant (junior grade) Bull was lost 5 February 1942 during action in the Netherlands East Indies. He was posthumousl y awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross.
Bull (DE-52) was built by Bethlehem-Hingham Shipyard, Inc., Hingham, Mass.; commissioned 19 May 1943; and transferred under Lend-Lease to the United Kingdom as HMS Bentinck the same day. She was returned to United States' custody 5 Januar y 1946 and sold 26 May 1946.
(DE-693: dp. 1400: l. 306'; b. 36'10"; dr. 13'6"; s. 24 k.; cpl. 186; a. 3 3", 3 21" TT.; cl. Buckley)
Bull (DE-693) was launched 25 March 1943 by Defoe Shipbuilding Co., Bay City, Mich.; sponsored by Mrs. Ruth P. Bull, widow of Lieutenant (Junior grade) Bull; and commissioned 12 August 1943, Lieutenant D. W. Farnham, USNR, in command.
Between 29 October 1943 and 27 July 1944 Bull made six round trip voyages as a convoy escort between New
York, Boston, and Londonderry, Ireland. Late in July 1944 she entered Todd Shipyards Corp., Brooklyn, and underwent conversion to a high speed transport (reclassified APD-78, 31 July 1944). Conversion was completed 26 October 1944 and Bull, after a short period of refresher training, departed for the Pacific. Arrivin g at Pearl Harbor 2 December, she embarked an underwater demolition team and proceeded to the Palaus which served as the staging area for the invasion of Luzon.
During 1945 Bull carried underwater demolition teams and furnished fire support and screening during the Lingayen Gulf landings (2-19 January 1945); invasion of Iwo Jima (14 February-5 March); and seizure of Okinawa (21 March-22 April, 2-8 May, and 29 May-1 July).
On 1 July Bull departed Okinawa and sailed to San Pedro, Calif., where she arrived on the 26th. After repairs, she returned to the Western Pacific, arriving at Manila, Philippine Islands, 19 October 1945. Bull remained on occupation duty in the Far East until 9 March 1946 when she departed for the west coast. Upon arrival, she conducted local operations for a short period and then reported to the San Diego Group, Pacific Reserve Fleet, for inactivation. Bull went out of commission in reserve 5 June 1947.
Bull received three battle stars for her World War II service.
Bull, Richard S. (DE-402) see Richard S. Bull (DE-402)
Bull dog is a breed of short-haired dogs.
(Felucca: cpl. 15; a. 2 guns)
Bull Dog, a felucca, was purchased at New Orleans, La., in 1813. She was employed in the suppression of piracy on that station and in the West Indies until sold in 1822.
Born in Media, Pa., 6 December 1866, William Hannum Grubb Bullard graduated from the Academy in 1886. He served in Columbia (C-12) during the Spanish-American War and commanded Arkansas (BB-33), serving with the British Grand Fleet, d uring World War I. He was the author of a textbook for naval electricians and a member of the Inter-Allied Conference on Radio in 1919. He later served as Director of Communications, Navy Department. Rear Admiral Bullard retired in 1922 and died in Washin gton, D. C., 24 November 1927.
(DD-660: dp. 2050: l. 376'5"; b. 39'7"; dr. 17'9"; s. 35.2 k.; cpl. 329; a. 5 5", 10 21" TT.; cl. Fletcher)
Bullard (DD-660) was launched 28 February 1943 by Federal Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Co., Kearny, N. J.; sponsored by Mrs. H. G. Bullard, widow of Rear Admiral Bullard; and commissioned 9 April 1943, Commander G. R. Hartwig in command.
After conducting brief operations along the eastern seaboard and in the Caribbean, Bullard proceeded to the Pacific, arriving at Pearl Harbor 29 August 1943. With the exception of one voyage to California (10 September 1944-18 February 1946) she operated constantly in forward areas of the Pacific rendering fire support, plane guard, patrol, and radar picket services. She participated in the Wake Island raid (5-6 October 1943); Rabaul strike (11 November); the invasion of Tarawa (19 November-1 De cember); the occupation of Kwajalein and Majuro Atolls (22 January-March 1944), Admiralty Islands landings (30 March-13 April); Hollandia operation (16 April 4 May); seizure of Saipan and Guam (10 June-17 August); and the Okinawa operation (15 March-31 Ma y 1945).
On 11 April 1945 during the Okinawa operation Bullard was slightly damaged by a Japanese suicide plane. Repairs completed at Okinawa, she departed 31 May and steamed to Leyte. Departing Leyte Gulf, 1 July, Bullard next participated in the 3d Fleet raids against Japan (10 July-15 August).
After the cessation of hostilities Bullard remained in the Far East engaged in occupation duties until 10 November 1945 when she departed for San Pedro, Calif., arriving 3 December. She operated along the west coast during most of 1946 and then reported to San Diego for inactivation. Bullard was placed out of commission in reserve 20 December 1946.
Bullard received nine battle stars for her World War II service.
Bullfinch is a European and American grosbeak.
(AM-66: dp. 425: l. 136'4"; b. 24'; dr. 11'; s. 10 k.; a. 1 3"; cl. Bullfinch)
Bullfinch (AM-66), ex-Villanova, was launched 27 October 1937 by Bath Iron Works Corp., Bath, Maine; acquired by the Navy 6 July 1940; commissioned in ordinary 16 August 1940; overhauled and fitted out at Norfolk Navy Yard, and placed in full commission 22 October 1940, Lieutenant J. A. Webster in command.
Throughout her entire naval career Bullfinch was assigned to the 5th Naval District. She operated as a unit of TU 90.5.3 in Chesapeake Bay sweeping the entrances to Norfolk and Yorktown, Va. Bullfinch was decommissioned 15 September 1944 and transferred to the Maritime Commission 28 July 1940.
The keel of Bullfinch (AM-392) was laid 24 August 1945 by Defoe Shipbuilding Co., Bay City, Mich., but construction was canceled 1 November 1946.
A bullhead is any large-headed fish, especially the catfish, miller's thumb, and sculpin.
(SS 332: dp. 1526: l. 311'9"; b. 27'3''; dr. 16'10"; s. 20.3 k.; cpl. 66; a. 1 5", 10 21" TT.; cl. Balao)
Bullhead (SS-332) was launched 16 July 1944 by Electric Bout Co., Groton, Conn.; sponsored by Mrs. Howard P. Doyle; and commissioned 4 December 1944, Commander W. T. Griffith in command.
The war operations of Bullhead extended from 21 March to August 1945 during which time she completed two war patrols. Her area of operations included the Java and South China Seas and the Gulf of Siam.
During the greater portion of her first war patrol Bullhead performed lifeguard services and on two occasions bombarded Pratas Island, China, damaging enemy radio installations. On her second patrol she sunk four small enemy vessels totaling 180 0 tons by gunfire and damaged three others.
On the last day of July 1945 Bullhead left Fremantle to commence her third war patrol. Her orders were to patrol in the Java Sea until 5 September and then head for Subic Bay in the Philippines. Her report on 6 August that she had passed through Lombak Strait was the last word received from Bullhead. Other U. S. and British submarines operating in the vicinity were unable to contact her and it was presumed that she was sunk during Japanese antisubmarine attacks made in that area between t he 6th and 15th of August.
Bullhead received two battle stars for her World War II service.
Bulloch County (LST-509) see LST-509
Bullock is a county in Alabama.
(AK-165: dp. 2382: l. 338'6"; b. 50'; dr. 21'1"; s. 11.5 k.; cpl. 85; a. 1 3"; cl. Alamosa)
Bullock (AK-165) was launched 2 December 1844 by Kaiser Cargo, Inc., Richmond, Calif., under a Maritime Commission contract; sponsored by Mrs. J. L. Barker; acquired by the Navy 2 March 1945; and commissioned the same day, Lieutenant H. N. Barkh auser in command.
From 20 April to 14 December 1945 Bullock transported cargo and military personnel between the Philippine Islands, New Guinea, Netherlands East Indies, and the Admiralty Islands.
Bullock arrived at New York in late December 1945 and was decommissioned 13 March 1946. She was returned to the Maritime Commission 19 March 1946.
Born in Virginia City, Nev., 4 November 1874 Roscoe Carlyle Bulmer graduated from the Academy in 1894. He was United States naval representative at a conference which met at the British Admiralty to consider clearing the seas of mines after World War I and on 5 January 1919 he assumed command of that operation. His zeal and courage, combined with a sound knowledge of his profession, contributed greatly to the success of the mine force. Captain Bulmer died 5 August 1919 at Kirkwall, Scotland.
(DD-222; dp. 1215; l. 314'4"; b. 31'9"; dr. 9'10"; s. 35 k.; cpl. 122; a. 4 4", 1 3", 12 21" TT.; cl. Clemson)
Bulmer (DD-222) was launched 22 January 1920 by William Cramp and Sons Ship and Engine Building Co., Philadelphia, Pa.; sponsored by Miss Anita Paor Bulmer daughter of Captain Bulmer; and commissioned 16 August 1920, Lieutenant Commander J. C. J ennings in command.
In 1920 Bulmer joined the Pacific Fleet, based at San Diego. In 1923 she joined the U. S. Naval Forces, Europe, and later the U. S. Naval Detachment in Turkish Waters. Early in 1925 she was assigned to the Asiatic Fleet. She operated as a unit o f Destroyer Division 14 Squadron 5, alternately based in the winter at Manila and Cavite, Philippine Islands, and in the summer at Chefoo, China. Early in 1939 Bulmer was assigned to the South China Patrol and was later reassigned to Destroyer Divi sion 58, Squadron 29; on Neutrality Patrol under the Commandant, 16th Naval District. In January 1941 she participated in the Asiatic Fleet Problem and then continued patrolling in the Philippines.
When the United States entered World War II Bulmer was still assigned to the Asiatic Fleet and stationed in the Philippines. During the early months of the war she engaged in patrol, escort, and antisubmarine duties throughout the southwest Paci fic.
As a unit of TF 5, Destroyer Squadron 29, Bulmer took part in the action off Madoera Strait 4 February 1842. She also took part in the Allied attempt to intercept Japanese invasion convoys off Palembang, Sumatra. On 19 February 1942, along with Barker (DD-213) and Black Hawk (AD-9), she departed Tjilatjap, Java, for Exmouth Gulf, Australia, and an overhaul.
Bulmer served on patrol duty at various Australian ports until May 1942. She arrived at Pearl Harbor 16 June 1942 and reported to Commander, Service Force, Pacific Fleet, for duty. Between June 1942 and May 1843 she operated as an escort vessel for convoys sailing between Pearl Harbor and San Francisco and return.
Bulmer was assigned to the Atlantic Fleet in May 1943 and arrived at New York 14 June. Her first Atlantic assignment was as a unit of the hunter-killer TG 21.12 (14 June-22 September). During this sweep of the North Atlantic, aircraft from the group's flagship Core (CVE-13) sank the German submarine U-487 on 13 July 1943.
Bulmer next made a trans-Atlantic voyage to Swansea Wales, and then commenced convoy escort duty between northeastern Atlantic ports and North Africa (4 October 1943-31 July 1944). On 13-14 January 1944 during one of these voyages, Bulmer and other escorts made several attacks against a German wolf pack of submarines in the eastern Atlantic. Bulmer conducted her attacks very aggressively and although not officially credited she probably sank or severely damaged the German submarine U-377. On the morning of 14 January she rescued 17 German survivors, including the captain, of a sunken German submarine believed to have been U-231 which was sunk 13 January by a British flying boat.
From 1 August until 4 October 1944 she conducted operations in Narragansett Bay. Bulmer's designation was changed to AG-86, 1 December 1944. She reported to the Canal Zone 27 December 1944 for training duty with newly commissioned submarines. In July 1945 she returned to the United States and was assigned to the operational control of Commander, Air Force, Atlantic Fleet, and operated out of Port Everglades, Fla. Bulmer was decommissioned 16 August 1946 and sold 19 February 1947.
She received two battle stars for her World War II service.
Bulwark is a solid wall-like structure; a rampart.
Bulwark (AMc-6) was renamed Avenge (AMc-66) (q. v.) 23 May 1941.
Bulwark (AMc-68) was placed in service 5 February 1942 and served in the 1st Naval District during World War II. She was sold to the City of Boston on 12 September 1946.
(MSO-425: dp. 620: l. 172'; b. 36'; dr. 10'; s. 15 k.; cpl. 74; a. 1 40 mm.; cl. Aggressive)
Bulwark (AM-425) was launched 14 March 1953 by Norfolk Naval Shipyard; sponsored by Mrs. J. L. Maloney, wife of Captain Maloney, and commissioned 12 November 1953, Lieutenant J. A. Paulick in command.
Bulwark conducted shakedown off Florida. During her first year of service she was engaged in a limited amount of duty due to her relatively new design which in the course of operations brought about numerous alterations.
In May 1955 Bulwark was ordered to join the 6th Fleet in the Mediterranean and on 18 May, with other members Or her division, she sailed into Lisbon, Portugal. Bulwark returned to Charleston, S. C., 4 October 1955. Since that time she has operated out of Charleston conducting type training and exercises along the eastern seaboard and in the Caribbean.
The bumper is a fish of the West Indian Ocean.
(SS 333: dp. 1526: l. 311'9"; b. 27'3"; dr. 16'10"; s. 20.3 k.; cpl. 66; a. 1 5", 10 21" TT.; cl. Balao)
Bumper (SS-333) was launched 6 August 1944 by Electric Boat Co., Groton, Conn.; sponsored by Mrs. Joseph W. Williams, Jr., wife of the prospective commanding officer; and commissioned 9 December 1944, Commander J. W. Williams, Jr., in command. < /P>
Between 22 April and 15 August 1945 Bumper completed two war patrols in the Java and South China Seas and the Gulf of Siam. During this time she sank a 1189-ton tanker, destroyed another small tanker at anchor, and sank four miscellaneous small craft by gunfire.
Bumper arrived at Fremantle, Australia, from her last war patrol 15 August 1945. On 31 August 1943 she departed Fremantle for Subic Bay, Philippine Islands where she arrived 9 September. She served as a unit of Submarines, Philippine Sea Frontie r, until February 1946 when she returned to California for repairs. Repairs completed, she reported for duty with Submarine Squadron 5 at Pearl Harbor and operated in the vicinity of the Hawaiian Islands until December.
On 16 December 1946 she departed Pearl Harbor to conduct a simulated war patrol. She called at Truk, Caroline Islands; Subic Bay, Philippine Islands; Yokosuka, Japan; and Midway. She also spent six weeks with Northern Training Group, Western Pacific, a t Tsingtao, China, and in the Yellow Sea. She returned to Pearl Harbor 29 March 1947.
Early in January 1948 Bumper proceeded to California and underwent yard overhaul until 1 June 1948. She arrived back at Pearl Harbor 12 June and shortly thereafter commenced her second simulated war patrol in the Western Pacific, returning to Pe arl Harbor 29 September 1949.
Bumper operated out of Pearl Harbor until 7 February 1950 when she returned to the United States. She transited the Panama Canal 22 February 1950 and operated along the eastern seaboard until 16 September 1930 when she was decommissioned. She wa s transferred to Turkey 16 November 1930.
Bumper received one battle star for her World War II service.
Born in Norman County, Minn., 21 January 1919, Kenneth Cecil Bunch enlisted in the Navy in 1937. He served with Scouting Squadrons 42 and 8. He was killed in action 6 June 1942 during the Battle of Midway.
(DE-694: dp. 1400: l. 306'; b. 36'10"; dr. 13'6"; s. 24 k.; cpl. 186; a. 3 3", 3 21" TT.; cl. Buckley)
Bunch (DE-694) was launched 29 May 1943 by Defoe Shipbuilding Co., Bay City, Mich.; sponsored by Mrs. Kenneth C. Bunch, widow of Aviation Radioman Bunch; and commissioned 21 August 1943, Lieutenant Commander A. A. Campbell, USNR, in command.
Between November 1943 and July 1944 Bunch operated as a convoy escort and completed six trans-Atlantic voyages to the United Kingdom. From 12 October through 20 December 1944 she underwent conversion to a high speed transport, having been reclas sified APD-79, 31 July 1944.
Conversion completed, Bunch transited the Panama Canal 26 December 1944 and arrived at Pearl Harbor 15 January 1945. She proceeded across the Pacific, via Eniwetok, Ulithi, and Leyte, to Okinawa where after arrival in March she acted as parent s hip for an underwater demolition team and participated in fire-support and patrol activities. On 4 April she rescued 61 survivors from Dickerson (APD-21) which had been sunk by a Japanese suicide plane. During May Bunch escorted a convoy to Ulithi and Guam and then returned to Okinawa. She remained in this area until 1 July 1945 when she departed for the west coast, arriving on the 24th. She underwent overhaul in California until 6 September and then returned to Okinawa via Pearl Harbor and Eniwetok.
Between 1 October 1945 and 21 February 1946 she operated off Okinawa, China, and Formosa in support of the occupation. Bunch participated in minesweeping operations during November and December 1945. Upon her return to the United States in March 1946 she was assigned to the 19th Fleet to await inactivation. She was placed out of commission in reserve 31 May 1946 at San Diego.
Bunch received two battle stars for her World War II service.
Buncombe County (LST-510) see LST-510
Bundy, General Omar (AP-152) see General Omar Bundy (AP-152)
Bunker Hill is a height in Charlestown, Mass. The battle, which bears this name, was fought 17 June 1775 on adjacent Breed's Hill.
(CV-17: dp. 27,100: l. 872'; b. 93'; dr. 28'7"; s. 32.7 k.; cpl. 3448; a. 12 5"; cl. Essex)
Bunker Hill (CV-17) was launched 7 December 1942 by Bethlehem Steel Co., Quincy, Mass.; sponsored by Mrs. Donald Boynton; and commissioned 24 May 1943, Captain J. J. Ballentine in command.
Reporting to the Pacific in the fall of 1943 Bunker Hill participated in carrier operations during the Rabaul strike (11 November 1943); Gilbert Islands operation, including support of the landings on Tarawa (13 November-8 December); the Kavieng strikes in support of the Bismarck Archipelago operation (25 December 1943, 1 and 4 January 1944); Marshall Islands operation (29 January-8 February); strikes against Truk (17-18 February), during which eight Japanese combatant vessels were sunk;
Marinas raid (23 February); Palau-Yap-Ulithi-Woleai raids (30 March-1 April); Truk-Satawan-Ponape raids (29 April-1 May); Hollandia operation (21-28 April); and Marianas operation (12 June-10 August), including the Battle of the Philippine Sea. On 19 J une 1944, during the opening phases of the battle, Bunker Hill was damaged when an enemy near miss scattered shrapnel fragments across the ship. Two men were killed and over 80 were wounded Bunker Hill continued to do battle and her planes a ided in sinking one Japanese carrier and destroying a part of the 476 Japanese aircraft that were downed. During September she participated in the Western Caroline Islands operation and then launched strikes at Okinawa, Luzon, and Formosa until November.
On 6 November Bunker Hill retired from the forward area and steamed to Bremerton, Wash., for a period of yard availability. Repairs completed, she departed the west coast 24 January 1945 and returned to the war front. During the remaining months of World War II Bunker Hill participated in the Iwo Jima operation and the 5th Fleet raids against Honshu and the Nansei Shoto (15 February 4 March); and the 5th and 3d Fleet raids in support of the Okinawa operation. On 7 April 1945 Bunker Hil l's planes took part in a fast carrier task force attack on a Japanese naval force in the East China Sea. The enemy battleship Yamato, one cruiser, and four destroyers were sunk.
On the morning of 11 May 1945, while supporting the Okinawa invasion, Bunker Hill was hit and severely damaged by two suicide planes. Gasoline fires flamed up and several explosions took place. The ship suffered the loss of 346 men killed, 43 mi ssing, and 264 wounded. Although badly crippled she managed to return to Bremerton via Pearl Harbor.
In September Bunker Hill reported for duty with the "Magic Carpet" fleet. She remained on this duty as a unit of TG 16.12 returning veterans from the Pacific until January 1946 when she was ordered to Bremerton for inactivation. She was placed o ut of commission in reserve there 9 January 1947.
Bunker Hill received the Presidential Unit Citation for the period 11 November 1943 to 11 May 1945. In addition, she received 11 battle stars for her World War II service.
Bunting (AMS-3) see YMS-170
Buoyant means having or manifesting the quality of being able to float.
(AM-153: dp. 630; l. 184'6"; b. 33'; dr. 9'9"; s. 14.8 k.; cpl. 104; a. 1 3"; cl. Admirable)
On 21 February 1942 Buoyant (AMc-130) was reclassified AM-153. She was launched 24 November 1942 by Willamette Iron and Steel Corp., Portland, Oreg., and commissioned 30 September 1943, Lieutenant W. L. Savell, Jr., in command.
Buoyant arrived at Adak, Alaska, 30 December 1943 and engaged in escort duty along the Aleutian chain, making frequent stops at Kodiak, Dutch Harbor, Sand Bay, Amchitka, Adak, and Attu until 1 July 1944. In July she sailed to San Francisco for a three-week availability at Treasure Island. On 1 August 1944 she escorted a convoy to Eniwetok via Pearl Harbor. On 4 September, at Saipan, she was assigned to the Forward Area Escort and Patrol Group. The ensuing six months were spent on the sea lanes b etween Saipan and Eniwetok providing escort protection for friendly submarines, transports, and merchant ships.
Buoyant arrived off Kiese Shima, Okinawa, 31 March 1945 and assisted in the assault and occupation of Okinawa (31 March-31 May). During this period she took part in several dangerous sweeping operations. The ship returned to the United States 7 July. On 17 September she sailed for Pearl Harbor, the first leg of a voyage back to the Far East.
Buoyant arrived at Yokohama, Japan, 15 December 1945 and later moved to Sasebo, Japan, where she operated in support of the occupation until 8 March 1946. Arriving 13 March at Subic Bay, Philippine Islands, she reported to Commander, Philippine Sea Frontier; was demilitarized; and sailed for Shanghai, China, in April 1946. Buoyant was decommissioned 29 May 1946 at Shanghai and sold by the Office of Foreign Liquidation Commission the same day.
Buoyant received one battle star for her World War II service.
Burden R. Hastings
Born in Washington, D. C., 1 August 1910, Burden Robert Hastings was appointed Midshipman in 1929 and later designated a Naval Aviator. He was killed in action 27 December 1941 at Jolo, Philippine Islands.
(DE-19: dp. 1140: l. 289'5"; b. 35'1"; dr. 11'; s. 21 k.; cpl. 156; a. 3 3"; cl. Evarts)
Burden R. Hastings (DE-19) was launched as HMS Duckworth (BDE-19) 20 November 1942 by Mare Island Navy Yard; taken over by the United States and reclassified DE-19, 25 January 1943; renamed Burden R. Hastings 19 Febru ary 1943; and commissioned 1 May 1943, Lieutenant Commander P. A. Walker, USNR, in command.
During July 1943 Burden R. Hastings made a quick voyage between California and Pearl Harbor and return. In August she returned to Pearl Harbor and then proceeded to Baker Island where she carried out patrol and escort duties. On 12 Novemb er she arrived off Tarawa, Gilbert Islands, and carried out pre-invasion bombardments of Japanese positions until the 20th, when landings were made. She remained in support of the occupation until 23 November and then departed for the newly established Ad vanced Naval Base at Funafuti, Ellice Islands. During the remainder of 1943 Burden R. Hastings escorted two convoys to Tarawa and one to Noumea, New Caledonia, and then returned to Pearl Harbor, arriving 8 January 1944.
Burden R. Hastings departed Pearl Harbor 28 January 1944 and proceeded to the Marshall Islands where she supported the occupation of Kwajalein (5-6 February). Returning to Pearl Harbor 13 February, she remained in the vicinity of the Hawa iian Islands until the 29th. Once again she returned to the Marshalls and then participated in the Palau-Yap-Ulithi-Woleai raids (30 March-1 April). During the remainder of World War II Burden R. Hastings operated as a convoy escort, plane g uard, and unit of various hunter-killer groups in the area of the Marshall, Gilbert, and western Caroline Islands.
On 15 June 1944 while operating in the vicinity of the Marshall Islands she came upon a surface contact which upon investigation proved to be a Japanese submarine. She pressed home a vigorous attack and sank the submarine RO-44 in 11°13' N., 164 °15' E.
With the cessation of hostilities she continued to operate in the Central Pacific until September 1945. She departed Pearl Harbor 20 September and reported to the Commander, 11th Naval District, for inactivation 29 September. She was placed out of comm ission in reserve 25 October 1945 and sold 1 February 1947.
Burden R. Hastings received four battle stars for her World War II service.
Born in Cheboygan, Mich., 24 July 1920, Ronald Allen Burdo enlisted in the Marine Corps 20 September 1940. He was killed in action 7 August 1942 at Gavutu, Solomon Islands.
(APD-133: dp. 1450: l. 306'; b. 37'; dr. 12'7"; s. 23.6 k.; cpl. 204; a. 1 5": cl. Crosley)
Burdo (APD-133), ex-DE-717, was launched 25 November 1944 by Defoe Shipbuilding Co., Bay City, Mich.; sponsored by Mrs. Ida J. Botts, mother of Private Burdo; and commissioned 2 June 1945, Lieutenant Commander H. A. Hull, USNR, in command.
Burdo joined the Pacific Fleet in August 1945 and was assigned to serve with the Pacific Underwater Demolition Flotilla. With Underwater Demolition Team 13 embarked she sailed for Pearl Harbor 16 August, where she was assigned to an amphibious g roup. On 1 September she departed for Sasebo, Japan. At Sasebo UDT-13 assisted in clearing channels prior to landing the occupation forces 21 September 1945. Shortly afterwards Burdo departed for San Diego via Okinawa, Guam, and Pearl Harbor. At Sa n Diego UDT-13 was disembarked and after one shuttle trip to Pearl Harbor Burdo sailed to Norfolk, transiting the Panama Canal on Thanksgiving Day 1945.
Burdo operated along the Atlantic coast carrying out training exercises and mock landings during December 1945-October 1948, with the exception of three trips to the Caribbean. On 1 November 1948, in company with other units of the Atlantic Flee t, Burdo departed Norfolk enroute Argentia, Newfoundland, for cold weather operations. On 20 November she returned to Norfolk and continued with her Atlantic and Caribbean operations until May 1951.
In May she became a unit of the Midshipmen Practice Squadron and participated in the midshipmen summer cruise to northern Europe and the Caribbean, returning to Norfolk at the end of July. After overhaul she resumed training exercises in cooperation wi th the Marine Corps. Early in January 1953 Burdo was assigned to the 6th Fleet and operated as a unit of the Amphibious Group until May 1953. During this assignment she participated in one of the first NATO exercises.
Since that time Burdo has engaged in amphibious operational training along the eastern seaboard, conducted six Caribbean training cruises, and another tour with the 6th Fleet.
Burias is an island south of Luzon, Philippine Islands.
(AG-9: dp. 5390: l. 441'6"; b. 58'11"; dr. 23'; s. 12.5 k.; cpl. 181; a. 1 5"; cl. Basilan)
Burias (ARG-13) was reclassified AG-89, 14 March 1944; launched 27 March 1944 by Delta Shipbuilding Co.,
New Orleans La., under a Maritime Commission contract as Mollie Moore Davis; sponsored by Mrs. Paul F. Jahncke, Sr.; acquired 24 April 1944; and commissioned the same day, Lieutenant W. M. Aye, USNR, in command.
Burias arrived at Pearl Harbor 7 January 1945 and underwent conversion to a repair ship. Between 18 March and 30 October she carried out repair operations at Saipan, Marianas Islands. She served briefly (5-10 November) in Japan before returning to San Francisco 28 November 1940. She proceeded to Bremerton, Wash., and reported for overhaul 3 December. On 11 February she departed for Pearl Harbor where she arrived 21 February 1946 for inactivation. She was decommissioned 9 April 1946 and transferr ed to the Maritime Commission 15 August 1947.
Born in Bismarck, N. Dak., 24 January 1905, John Edward Burke graduated from the Academy in 1928. In 1941 he was attached to the Office of the Judge Advocate General of the Navy Department. Lieutenant Commander Burke was killed in action 15 Nove mber 1942 in the Pacific.
(DE-215: dp. 1400; l. 306'; b. 36'10"; dr. 13'6"; s. 24 k.; cpl. 186; a. 3 3", 3 21" TT.; cl. Buckley)
Burke (DE-215) was launched 3 April 1943 by Philadelphia Navy Yard; sponsored by Mrs. John E. Burke widow of Lieutenant Commander Burke; and commissioned 20 August 1943, Lieutenant Commander E. K. Winn, USNR, in command.
Between 11 November 1943 and 25 January 1945 Burke served with the Atlantic Fleet and completed nine round trip voyages escorting Atlantic convoys to North Africa and Europe. On 25 January 1945 she reported to Sullivan's Dry Dock and Repair Corp ., Brooklyn, N. Y., and commenced conversion to a high speed transport. Her classification was changed to APD-65, 24 January 1945.
On 1 May 1945 Burke having completed her conversion reported to the Pacific Fleet. After exercising with underwater demolition teams in the vicinity of the Hawaiian Islands, the ship proceeded to Okinawa, arriving 27 June. She served on picket d uty off Ie Shima during her brief stay (27-30 June).
On 30 June Burke departed for Legaspi, Luzon, Philippine Islands, where she trained with amphibious units. After the cessation of hostilities the ship acted as an escort for the occupation forces. On 26 October she left Tokyo Bay, Japan, for the Philippine Islands, where she performed various transport operations until 27 November. Burke returned to Norfolk 30 December 1945.
Serving as a unit of Transport Division 121, Burke operated out of Norfolk between January 1946 and April 1949, serving as Division flagship at intervals. The vessel accompanied the Division on periodic voyages to the Caribbean for tactical exer cises with Marine units and operated off the Virginia coast with task units holding anti-submarine warfare and underwater demolition exercises.
On 3 May 1948 Burke assisted in extinguishing hold fires In the SS Shellbar off the Virginia coast. From June through October 1948 she made several cruises with reserve personnel on board, steaming along the New England coast and in the C aribbean. She then participated in fleet exercises from Norfolk to Argentia, Newfoundland, and return (1-20 November 1948).
Burke arrived 16 April 1949 at Charleston, S. C., reporting to the Charleston Group, Atlantic Reserve Fleet, for inactivation. She was placed out of commission in reserve 22 June 1949.
Burke received one battle star for her World War II service.
Burleigh is a county In North Dakota.
APR-3 was assigned the name Burleigh, but her contract was canceled 12 March 1943 prior to keel laying.
(APA-95: dp. 8392; l. 492'; b. 69'6"; dr. 26'6"; s. 18.4 k.; cpl. 384; a. 2 5"; cl. Bayfield)
Burleigh (APA-95) was launched 3 December 1943 by Ingalls Shipbuilding Co., Pascagoula, Miss., under a Maritime Commission contract; sponsored by Mrs. Dallas H. Smith; and placed in reduced commission 1 April 1944. She was taken to New York and placed out of commission 13 April 1944 for conversion by Bethlehem Steel Co., 56th St. Yard, Brooklyn, N. Y. The ship was placed in full commission 30 October 1944, Commander D. G. Greenlee in command.
On 3 December 1944 Burleigh departed Hampton Roads Va., and proceeded to the Pacific arriving at Pearl Harbor 23 December. She became flagship of Transport Squadron 18 at San Francisco 3 January 1945. During January and February 1945 Burleigh transported passengers and supplies to Pearl Harbor, Guadalcanal, and the Russell Islands. March 1945 was spent at Ulithi, Caroline Islands, in preparation for the assault on Okinawa. Burleigh departed Ulithi, in company with Transport Squadro n 18, 27 March 1945 and arrived off Okinawa 1 April. She remained in the area disembarking Marines and supplies until 10 April when she got underway for Pearl Harbor. She arrived at Pearl Harbor 27 April, after stopping at Guam to embark casualties.
Returning to San Francisco 4 June 1945, Burleigh embarked troops and supplies and steamed to Guam via Pearl Harbor, Eniwetok, and Saipan. She returned to San Francisco 2 August. With the cessation of hostilities Burleigh was assigned to t he "Magic Carpet" fleet returning veterans from the Pacific until March 1946. On 15 March 1946 she departed the west coast for Norfolk, where she arrived 3 April. She was decommissioned 11 June 1946 and returned to the Maritime Commission the following da y.
Burleigh received one battle star for her World War II service.
Burleson is a county in Texas.
(APA-67: dp. 4247: l. 426'; b. 58'; dr. 16'; s. 16.9 k.; cpl. 320; a. 1 5"; cl. Gilliam)
Burleson (APA-67) was launched 11 July 1944 by Consolidated Steel Corp., Ltd., Wilmington, Calif., under a Maritime Commission contract; sponsored by Mrs. Darryl F. Zanuck; acquired 8 November 1944; and commissioned on the same day, Lieutenant C ommander B. Hartley, USNR, in command.
Burleson sailed to the Pacific 17 January 1945. She arrived at Guadalcanal 11 February and participated in amphibious practice maneuvers. On 15 March she arrived at Ulithi, Caroline Islands, which was a staging area for the coming assault on Oki nawa.
On 27 March Burleson got underway with TG 51.11 to take part in the assault and occupation of Okinawa (1-7 April). During this period she unloaded cargo and disembarked troops while anchored off Okinawa. She departed for Guam enroute to Pearl Ha rbor 7 April. Burleson operated in the vicinity of the Hawaiian Islands until 25-June when she departed for Okinawa via Eniwetok and Ulithi. The ship remained in the Far East transporting troops and supplies to Korea and China
until November 1945. At that time she was assigned to duty with the "Magic Carpet" fleet returning Pacific veterans to the west coast. During the early part of 1946 Burleson underwent conversion to an animal transport after being assigned to JTF 1 for Operation Crossroads.
She transported thousands of animals to Bikini and distributed them to assigned areas. Upon completion of the tests the animals were gathered up and returned to Burleson. The ship was detached 14 September 1946 and proceeded to Washington , D. C., via San Francisco. At Washington 2500 animals, which survived the experiments, were sent to the Naval Medical Research Center, Bethesda, Md., for special study.
Burleson was placed out of commission in reserve 9 November 1946. Her classification was changed to IX-67, 5 October 1956.
Burleson received one battle star for her World War II service.
Burlington is the name of cities in Iowa, Vermont, New Jersey, and North Carolina.
(PF-51: dp. 1430; l. 303'11"; b. 37'6"; dr. 13'8"; s. 20.3 k.; cpl. 190; a. 3 3"; cl. Tacoma)
Burlington (PF-51) was launched 7 December 1943 by Consolidated Steel Corp., Ltd., Wilmington, Calif., under a Maritime Commission contract, sponsored by Mrs. Max A. Conrad, wife of the Mayor of Burlington, Iowa; acquired 31 March 1944; and comm issioned 3 April 1944, Lieutenant Commander E. B. Carlson, USCG, in command.
The Coast Guard manned Burlington got underway from San Pedro, Calif., 1 August 1944. After a brief stop at Espiritu Santo, she steamed to New Guinea and was assigned on 21 August to escort and patrol duty in support of the western New Guinea op erations. From 16 October until 18 November Burlington escorted convoys between New Guinea and the Philippine Islands in support of the Leyte operation. She departed the area 3 December and returned to California, arriving on the 25th. On 18 Februa ry 1945, after undergoing a brief period of availability, she departed California and steamed to Alaska.
Upon arrival in Dutch Harbor 26 February she was assigned to Escort Division 43 and operated on patrol and escort duty around the Aleutian Islands. Between 18 July and 2 August she underwent repairs and alterations at Tacoma, Wash. On 8 August Burli ngton departed Seattle for Cold Bay, Alaska, where she engaged in training a prospective Russian crew until the 26th when she was placed out of commission. She was leased to Russia on the following day.
Burlington was returned to United States' custody 14 November 1949. She was placed in commission 5 January 1951 at Yokosuka, Japan, and assigned to Escort Squadron 7, Pacific Fleet. After shakedown and training exercises off Yokosuka, Burling ton proceeded to Korean waters where from 14 March to 24 April she operated in Wonsan Harbor and off Songjin, bombarding shore targets, performing escort and patrol duty, and serving as harbor entrance control vessel and guard ship at Wonsan. On 11 Ma y, after a brief period at Sasebo, Japan, she returned to the combat zone and performed patrol duty and bombarded designated targets in the Wonsan-Chongjin-Songjin area until 8 June.
During the summer of 1951 the ship carried out escort duty with TF's 92 and 77 in the replenishment area off the east coast of Korea. Between 5 December 1951 and July 1952 Burlington continued combat operations in Korean waters. Her principal du ty was acting as escort for TG 92.11 in the replenishment area off the east coast of Korea. She also patrolled, transported casualties, bombarded shore targets, and furnished fire support for mining operations in the Wonsan and Hungnam areas.
On 3 July 1952 Burlington departed Sasebo for the Philippine Islands where she engaged in training exercises off the west coast of Luzon and cruised as far south as Davao, Mindanao. She departed Manila Bay 3 September for Yokosuka, Japan. On 15 September 1952 she was placed out of commission in reserve at Yokosuka.
Burlington received two battle stars for her World War II service and five battle stars for service in Korean waters.
Burnes, John Francis (DD-299) see John Francis Burnes (DD-299)
Burnett, P. H. (IX-104) see P. H. Burnett (IX-104)
Burnett County (LST-512) see LST-512
Otway Burns was born at Queen's Creek, near Swansboro, N. C.; in 1775. During the War of 1812 he acquired letters of marque for the privateer Snap Dragon and commanded the fast little schooner on three cruises, having several encounters with British men-of-war, also taking numerous prizes. After the war he engaged in shipbuilding at Beaufort, N. C., and spent 13 years in the General Assembly of North Carolina. In 1835 President Jackson appointed him keeper of the Brant Island Shoal Light, a position he held until his death 25 August 1850.
(DD-171: dp. 1191: l. 314'5"; b. 31'8"; dr. 9'2"; s. 33.8 k.; cpl. 107; a. 4 4", 2 3", 12 21" TT.; cl. Little)
The first Burns (DD-171) was launched 4 July 1918 by Union Iron Works, San Francisco, Calif.; sponsored by Miss Alice H. Palmer; and commissioned 7 August 1919 Commander W. H. Lee in command.
Burns was attached to Destroyer Force, Pacific, until March 1920 when she was ordered to special duty as a tender for NC Seaplane Division. On 15 March 1921 she was reclassified DM-11 and on 5 May she was assigned to the Mine Force, Pacific. She was at Mare Island Navy Yard 11 July undergoing conversion and overhaul when her home yard was changed and she departed for the Naval Station, Pearl Harbor, where she completed the yard period. Thereafter, attached to Mine Squadron 2 Pacific Fleet, she s erved throughout her active service in the vicinity of the Hawaiian Islands except for periodic concentrations of the Fleet in other areas for maneuvers and Fleet problems.
In 1925 she joined the Fleet for a tour of Australia and New Zealand. In the summers of 1926, 1927, and 1928 she conducted training cruises for Naval Reservists. In 1927 Burns returned to San Diego with her squadron for inspection, training, and recreation. Returning to Pearl Harbor, she participated in mining and gunnery practice and acted as high-speed target for submarines in Hawaiian waters until November 1929. Arriving at San Diego 26 November, Burns was decommissioned 2 June 1930. O n 11 June she was towed to Mare Island Navy Yard where she was used as a barracks-ship. She was later scrapped and her material sold 22 April 1932.
(DD-588: dp. 2050: l. 376'5"; b. 39'7"; dr. 17'9"; s. 35 k.; cpl. 329; a. 5 5", 10 21" TT.; cl. Fletcher)
The second Burns (DD-588) was launched 8 August 1942 by Charleston Navy Yard, sponsored by Mrs. Harry L. Smith, great-granddaughter of Captain Burns, and commissioned 3 April 1943, Commander D. T. Eller in command.
Burns arrived at Pearl Harbor 17 September 1943 and after a few weeks of training, embarked upon an out-
standing World War II career. Between October 1943 and July 1945, with the exception of a stateside yard period (February-April 1945), Burns participated in the following operations, acting as anti-submarine escort picket ship, fighter director ship, and aircraft rescue vessel: Wake Island raid (5-6 October 1943); Gilbert Islands operation (20 November 8 December); occupation of Kwajalein and Majuro Atolls (29 January 8 February 1944); Asiatic-Pacific raids on Truk (16-17 February), Palau-Yap-Ul ithi-Wolesi (30 March-1 April), and Truk-Satawan-Ponape (29 April-1 May); Hollandia operation (21-24 April); Marianas operation (15 June-6 August) which included the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Bonins raids, the Battle of the Philippine Sea, the capture and oc cupation of Saipan and Guam, and the Palau-Yap-Ulithi raid; western Caroline Islands operation which included the capture of the southern Palau Islands and the assaults on the Philippine Islands (6 September-14 October); Leyte operations including the 3d Fleet supporting operations against Okinawa, Luzon, and Formosa (10 October-14 November); Lingayen Gulf landings (4-18 January 1945); and the Borneo operations, including the Brunei Bay operation and the Balikpapan operation (7 June-7 July).
On 30 January 1944, after picking up three downed American aviators, Burns was off Ujae Atoll enroute to rejoin her task group when she came upon a small Japanese convoy. During the ensuing 34-minute battle she succeeded in sinking all four Japa nese vessels, a small cargo ship, a medium tanker, and two small, either cargo or escort, ships.
Shortly thereafter Burns, as a unit of TG 50.9, took part in a surface action off Truk, Caroline Islands (17 February 1944). She assisted in sinking the Japanese light cruiser Katori in 07°45' N., 151°20' E., and a trawler before b eing ordered to track down and dispose of the Japanese Submarine Chaser No. 34, which was accomplished at 1655 in 07°24' N., 150°30' E. Six Japanese survivors were rescued.
After the cessation of hostilities Burns remained in the Far East on occupation duty until December 1945. During this period she operated in the Yellow Sea supporting the occupation of Korea and China. She departed the Western Pacific 29 Decembe r 1945 and arrived at San Francisco 8 January 1946. She then reported to the 19th Fleet for inactivation and was placed out of commission in reserve 25 June 1946 at San Diego.
Burns received 11 battle stars for her World War II service.
Burnsides, General see General Burnsides
The burrfish is a swellfish of the Atlantic coast.
(SS-312: dp. 1526: l. 311'8"; b. 27'3"; dr. 16'10"; s. 20.3 k.; cpl. 66; a. 1 5", 10 21" TT.; cl. Balao)
Burrfish (SS-312) was launched 18 June 1943 by Portsmouth Navy Yard, sponsored by Miss Jane Elizabeth Davis, daughter of the Senator from Pennsylvania, and commissioned 14 September 1943, Commander W. B. Perkins in command.
Burrfish's war operations extended from 2 February 1944 to 13 May 1945 during which period she completed six war patrols, sinking one 5894-ton Japanese tanker. Her operating area extended from the Western Caroline Islands to Formosa and the wate rs south of Japan. Burrfish also participated with Ronquill (SS-396) in the destruction of a 200-ton patrol vessel. During her third war patrol the ship accomplished several special missions, conducting reconnaissance of the beaches of Palau and Yap where landings were planned.
Burrfish arrived at Pearl Harbor from her last war patrol 13 May 1945. On 16 May she was ordered to return to the United States for major overhaul and arrived at Portsmouth Navy Yard 19 June. On 12 October 1945 she reported to New London, Conn., for inactivation and was placed out of commission in reserve 10 October 1946.
On 2 November 1948 Burrfish was recommissioned and assigned to Portsmouth Naval Shipyard for conversion to a radar picket submarine. Her designation was changed to SSR-312 on 27 January 1949 and her conversion was completed in November 1949.
Burrfish returned to duty with the active fleet 7 February 1950 and was assigned to Submarine Squadron 6 at Norfolk. Between February 1950 and June 1956 she completed three tours with the 6th Fleet in the Mediterranean; participated in several m ajor type and inter-type exercises; and operated along the eastern seaboard as a radar picket ship.
On 5 June 1956 Burrfish sailed from Norfolk to New London where she reported for inactivation. She was placed out of commission in reserve 17 December 1956.
Burrfish received five battle stars for her World War II service.
William Burrows was appointed a Midshipman in 1799. He distinguished himself at Tripoli. Lieutenant Burrows died on board the brig Enterprise as a result of wounds received during the engagement with the British brig Boxer 13 September 18 13.
(Galley: l. 75'; b. 15'; dph. 4'; cpl. 40; a. 1 24-pdr. S. B., 1 18-pdr. S. B.)
The first Burrows, a galley, was launched about June 1814 at Vergennes, Vt., by Adam and Noah Brown of New York and placed under the command of Sailing Master S. Kuteltas.
Burrows, as part of Commodore Thomas Macdonough's squadron on Lake Champlain, took part in the capture of the British squadron 11 September 1814. Not used after the war, she was sold at Whitehall, N. Y., in 1825.
(DD-29: dp. 742: l. 293'11"; b. 26'5"; dr. 8'4"; s. 30.6 k.; cpl. 88; a. 5 3", 6 18" TT.; cl. Paulding)
The second Burrows (DD-29) was launched 23 June 1910 by New York Shipbuilding Co., Camden, N. J.; sponsored by Miss Lorna Dorthea Burrows, a relative of Lieutenant Burrows, and commissioned 21 February 1911 Lieutenant J. F. Hellweg in command. < /P>
Prior to World War I Burrows was attached to the Torpedo Flotilla, Atlantic Fleet, and operated with the Fleet along the east coast and in Cuban waters according to the established schedules of tactical maneuvers, war games, torpedo practice, an d gunnery. Early in 1916 Burrows was assigned to the Neutrality Patrol in the Staten Island-Long Island area of New York. When the United States entered World War I Burrows patrolled the Lower Harbor, New York. On 7 April 1917 she reported t o Commander, Squadron 2, Patrol Force, and carried out an unfruitful search for a German raider reported in the vicinity of Nantucket, Mass. On 10 April she was detached from Squadron 2 and reported to Philadelphia Navy Yard where she was fitted out for d istant service.
In June she sailed from New York with Group 2, Cruiser and Transport Force, to escort the Atlantic Fleet convoy which carried the first American Expeditionary Force to reach France. She arrived in the Loire River, France, 27 June 1917 and was then assi gned to patrol on the south coast of Ireland, operating out of Queenstown, Ireland. Burrows patrolled; escorted incoming and homewardbound convoys; answered distress calls from Allied ships that had been attacked; landed survivors; and fought enemy submarines that preyed on the Channel traffic. On one occasion she was in trouble with a broken oil line which caused a fire on board. She was assisted by four
destroyers in putting out the fire promptly but two of her crew members lost their lives in the attempt. With the cessation of hostilities she performed various duties at Brest, France, and was present at the reception in honor of President Wilson 13 D ecember 1918 when George Washington (No. 3018) and escort arrived at Brest.
Burrows arrived at Philadelphia 2 January 1919. She operated along the eastern seaboard for several months and in June reported to Philadelphia Navy Yard. Burrows was decommissioned 12 December 1919. In June 1924 she was transferred to th e Treasury Department for use by the Coast Guard and was returned to the Navy 2 May 1931. Burrows was later scrapped and materials sold in accordance with the London Treaty for the limitation and reduction of naval armament.
(DE-105: dp. 1240: l. 306'; b. 36'8"; dr. 11'8"; s. 21 k.; cpl. 186; a. 3 3", 3 21" TT.; cl. Cannon)
The third Burrows (DE-105) was launched 2 October 1943 by Dravo Corp., Wilmington, Del.; sponsored by Miss Ruth C. Tech, and commissioned 19 December 1943, Lieutenant Commander R. W. Graham, USNR, in command.
Between February 1944 and May 1945 Burrows served as convoy escort for seven round-trip convoys to England and one to Bizerte, Tunisia. During intervals between voyages she conducted refresher training at Casco Bay, Maine, and Block Island, R. I .
On 28 June 1945 Burrows transited the Panama Canal and reported to the Pacific Fleet. After a brief period of yard availability at San Diego she arrived at Pearl Harbor 19 July and engaged in a strenuous training program until August. She arrive d at Eniwetok Atoll, Marshall Islands, 13 August and was ordered to carry out an anti-submarine sweep of the area around Truk, Caroline Islands. This sweep was made between 16 and 23 August. On 25 August she proceeded to Leyte, Philippine Islands, arrivin g 31 August.
Between September 1945 and January 1946 Burrows operated in the Far East between the Philippine Islands, Okinawa, and Japan in support of the occupation. She arrived at San Francisco 23 February 1946 and was then ordered to the east coast for in activation. She proceeded to Norfolk in March and then steamed to Green Cove Springs, Fla., where she commenced the final phases of inactivation 13 April. She was placed out of commission in reserve 14 June 1946. In 1950 she was towed to Boston, arriving 7 February, and commenced overhaul preparatory to transfer under the Mutual Defense Assistance Program. Burrows was transferred to the Netherlands 1 June 1950.
Burrows, William Ward (AP-6) see William Ward Burrows (AP-6)
Back to the DANFS Online Main Page
Questions, Comments and Feedback
This section of the HG&UW site coordinated and maintained by Andrew Toppan.
Copyright © 1996-2003, Andrew Toppan. All Rights Reserved.
Reproduction, reuse, or distribution without permission is prohibited.