Broadbill is any of certain ducks related to the canvasback and the redhead.
SP 823, a 66-foot motor boat of 1918-19, was also known as Broadbill.
(AM-58: dp. 890; l. 221'2"; b. 32'2"; dr. 10'9"; s. 18.1 k.; cpl. 105; a. 1 3"; cl. Auk)
Broadbill (AM-58) was launched 21 May 1942 by Defoe Shipbuilding Co., Bay City, Mich.; sponsored by Mrs. A. Loring Swasey wife of Captain Swasey; commissioned 13 October i942, Lieutenant Commander J. B. Cleland, Jr., in command; and reported at Boston to Commander, Service Force, Atlantic Fleet.
Until April 1944 Broadbill escorted convoys between east and Gulf coast ports and made two voyages to the Caribbean. On 11 April 1944 she got underway for England where she conducted numerous practice sweeps in preparation for the Normandy invas ion.
On 5 June Broadbill, as a unit of Mine Squadron 7, in company with 10 other AM's cleared the approach channel to Utah Beach for fire support ships and on 6 June commenced sweeping the actual support area. On 25 June she helped clear fire support areas off Cherbourg. Operations were continued off England and France until August. She then proceeded to Naples, via Oran, Algeria, and conducted sweeping operations in the Ligurian Sea, Bonifacio Straits, and around Sardinia and Corsica. Completing thi s assignment, Mine Squadron 7 arrived at Cavalaire Bay in southern France 23 August 1944 to clear French harbors and approaches during the invasion of southern France. On 28 May 1945 Broadbill, in company with Mine Division 21, departed for Norfolk where she underwent repairs until 30 August 1945.
On 17 September 1945, in company with Service Squadron 5, Broadbill got underway for San Pedro, Calif. She was subsequently ordered to Astoria, Oreg., arriving 7 December for pre-inactivation overhaul. Broadbill went out of commission in reserve at San Diego 3 June 1946.
Recommissioned 19 March 1952, Broadbill operated off the California coast until 27 June 1952. She then sailed to Charleston, S. C., arriving 15 July. During the remainder of 1952 she operated out of Charleston and conducted one Caribbean trainin g cruise.
In January 1953 she proceeded to the Mediterranean for a cruise with the 6th Fleet, returning to Charleston 21 May 1953. She conducted routine operations off the Atlantic coast until August when she reported for inactivation overhaul. Broadbill was placed out of commission in reserve 25 January 1954, berthed at Orange, Tex. She was reclassified MSF-58 on 7 February 1955.
Broadbill received two battle stars for her World War II operations.
Broadkill River (LSMR-405) see LSMR-405
Broadwater is a county in Montana.
(APA-139: dp. 6873; l. 455'; b. 82'; dr. 24'; s. 17.7 k.; cpl. 536; a. 1 5"; cl. Haskell)
Broadwater (APA-139) was launched 5 November 1944 by California Shipbuilding Corp., Wilmington, Calif., under a Maritime Commission contract; sponsored by Mrs. A. E. Florer; acquired 1 January 1945, and commissioned 2 January 1945, Captain G. G. Herring, Jr., in command.
Broadwater transported troops and cargo in the Marshalls and Philippines from 2 March 1945 until 4 October 1945. Arriving at Tokyo Bay, Japan, 13 October 1945, she operated in Japanese waters as a unit of the naval occupation force until returni ng to San Diego 11 November 1945.
Broadwater was decommissioned 28 February 1946 and returned to the Maritime Commission 1 March 1946.
Born in New Brockton, Ala., 15 August 1914, John Wiley Brock enlisted in the Navy in 1936 and was later designated a Naval Aviator. On 20 April 1942 he was assigned to Torpedo Squadron 6 aboard Enterprise (CV-6). He died in action 5 June 1942 du ring the Battle of Midway.
(APD-93: dp. 1390; l. 306'; b. 37'; dr. 12'7"; s. 23.6 k.; cpl. 204; a. 1 5"; cl. Crosley)
Brock (DE-234) was launched 20 January 1944 by Charleston Navy Yard; sponsored by Mrs. James W. Brock, mother of Ensign Brock; reclassified APD-93, 17 July 1944; converted to a high speed transport; and commissioned 9 February 1945, Lieutenant C ommander H. H. Holton in command.
Reporting to the Pacific Fleet 15 April 1945, Brock arrived at Pearl Harbor 2 May. Between May and September she performed escort and patrol duties in the Southwest Pacific, chiefly in the Marshalls and Philippines. Between 12 June and 1 July 19 45 she participated in the Okinawa operation. In September she expanded her area of service to include Japan. Brock remained in the Far East until 17 December 1945.
Departing Pearl Harbor 3 January 1946 Brock arrived in California 9 January 1946; transited the Panama Canal 24 February 1946; and dropped anchor at Boston 4 March. On 13 April she reported to Green Cove Springs, Fla., for inactivation. Brock went out of commission in reserve 5 May 1946.
Brock received one battle star for her World War II service.
Bronson, Clarence K. (DD-668) see Clarence K. Bronson (DD-668)
Born in Manchester, N. H., 14 April 1915, Ben Richard Bronstein was appointed Assistant Surgeon in the Naval Reserve in 1941. He was killed in action 28 February 1942 when Jacob Jones (DD-130) was sunk by an enemy submarine off Cape May, N J.
(DE-189: dp. 1240; l. 306'; b. 36'8"; dr. 11'8"; s. 21 k.; cpl. 186; a. 3 3", 3 21" TT.; cl. Cannon)
Bronstein (DE-189) was launched 14 November 1943 by Federal Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Co., Newark, N J.; sponsored by Mrs. Dina Bronstein Kurtz, mother of Lieutenant (junior grade) Bronstein; and commissioned 13 December 1943, Lieutenant S. H. K inney in command.
Bronstein reported to Norfolk and was assigned to TG 21.16, a hunter-killer group. On 16 February 1944 the Task Group left Norfolk on an anti-submarine sweep of the North Atlantic. On the night of 29 February numerous attacks were made by the gr oup on a pack of German submarines. Early in the morning of 1 March Bronstein attacked U-709 on the surface with gun fire and, after it submerged, with depth charges. Bronstein was assisted by Thomas (DE-102) and Bostwick (DE-
103) and the attack resulted in the sinking of U-709 in 49°10' N., 26°00' W. Later in the day Bronstein sank U-709 in 48°55' N., 26°10' W.
After this battle the Task Group went to Casablanca to refuel. On 11 March they departed in search of a fueling submarine that was reported operating with several other enemy submarines in the Atlantic off the Cape Verde Islands. On 16 March aircraft f rom Block Island (CVE-21) attacked a surfaced German submarine which promptly submerged. Corry (DD-463) was dispatched to the scene and at daybreak Bronstein was ordered to assist Corry. The two vessels attacked continuo usly for about three hours and when the submarine broke surface she was subjected to heavy gunfire. The U-8O1 sank quickly in 16°42' N., 30°26' W., and 39 men including the commanding officer were taken prisoner.
On 22 March Bronstein and Breeman were ordered to Dakar, French West Africa, arriving 25 March. Each ship received 15 tons of gold and delivered it to New York, arriving 3 April. On 13 April Bronstein joined TF 60 and escorted a co nvoy from New York to Bizerte, Tunisia, and return
On 10 June Bronstein and Escort Division 48 departed New York Navy Yard and joined Card (CVE-111) as TG 21.10. The first assignment took them south of Newfoundland to track down a U-boat. The U-233 was sunk on 5 July 1944 by Tho mas (DE-102) and Baker (DE-190) and the Task Group returned to New York.
Between July 1944 and May 1945 Bronstein operated with TG 21.10 searching for enemy submarines in the Caribbean and Casco Bay areas. On 9 May 1945 she reported to Commander, Fleet Air, Quonset Point, R. I., as screen and plane guard ship for car riers during the qualification of pilots in carrier landings. Bronstein was overhauled at Boston in early October 1945 and steamed to Green Cove Springs, Fla., where she went out of commission in reserve 5 November 1945. She was transferred to Urug uay 3 May 1952 under the Mutual Defense Assistance Program.
Bronstein received four battle stars for her World War II service.
Brontes was one of the Cyclopes.
(AGP-17: dp. 2179: l. 328'; b. 50'; dr. 11'2"; s. 11.6 k.; cpl. 119; a. 8 40 mm.; cl. Portunus)
Brontes, although reclassified AGP-17 14 August 1944, was launched 6 February 1945 as LST-1125 by Chicago Bridge and Iron Co., Seneca, III.; sponsored by Mrs. June Elizabeth Reimer; and placed in reduced commission 17 February 1945 ; placed out of commission 10 March 1945; underwent conversion to a motor torpedo boat tender; and recommissioned as Brontes (AGP-17) 14 August 1945, Lieutenant W. B. Reanden, Jr., in command.
On 26 September 1945 Brontes got underway for New Orleans, where she arrived 3 October. At New Orleans she participated in the Navy Day activities and then remained to service torpedo boats. In December 1945 she sailed to Washington, D. C., to p articipate in the "parade of torpedo boats" held in conjunction with a Victory Bond drive.
On 20 December 1945 she departed Washington for New York and pre-inactivation overhaul. Brontes was decommissioned 14 March 1946 and sold 1 April 1946.
Bronx is a county in New York and a borough of New York City.
(APA-236: dp. 6720: l. 455'; b. 62'; dr. 24'; s. 17.7 k.; cpl. 536; a. 1 5" ; cl. Haskell)
Brontes (APA-236) was launched 14 July 1945 by Oregon Shipbuilding Corp., Portland, Oreg., under a Maritime Commission contract; sponsored by Mrs. John W. Greenslade, wife of Admiral Greenslade; acquired by the Navy 27 August 1945; and commissio ned the same day Captain E. J. Anderson, USNR, in command.
Bronx got underway from San Pedro, Calif., for Manila, Philippine Islands, 30 October 1945. At Manila she embarked Army personnel for the return trip to San Francisco. She returned to the Philippines in January and brought Naval personnel back t o the west coast. On 4 April 1946 she stood out for Shanghai, China. From here she steamed to Tsingtao and Taku, China, where she embarked Marine and Naval personnel for transportation to San Francisco. Bronx sailed to Buckner Bay Okinawa, 7 June a nd received on board military personnel enroute to San Francisco. During August she took part in training maneuvers near San Diego. On 28 September and again on 24 October, she departed carrying troops to Olympia, Wash.
She continued these coastwise operations until 9 January 1947 when she got underway for Pearl Harbor with troops. From there she proceeded to Okinawa, China, and Guam carrying passengers and cargo. The ship weighed anchor for San Francisco 22 May 1947. She then operated at various ports in California until January 1948. On 5 January 1948 she set sail for Tsingtao, China, via Pearl Harbor, transporting cargo. After stopping at Shanghai, she proceeded to Guam and then back to Tsingtao.
Bronx got underway for San Francisco 4 May laden with cargo. She operated along the west coast transporting men and supplies until 18 January 1949 when she steamed to Kodiak Island, Alaska, for landing exercises. On 18 February she departed for San Francisco with personnel and equipment. Upon arrival at San Francisco she commenced her pre-inactivation overhaul. Bronx was placed out of commission in reserve 30 June 1949.
Brookings is a county in South Dakota.
(APA-140: dp. 6720: l. 455'; b. 62'; dr. 24'; s. 17.7 k.; cpl. 692; a. 1 5"; cl. Haskell)
Brookings (APA-140) was launched 20 November 1944 by California Shipbuilding Corp., Wilmington, Calif., under a Maritime Commission contract, sponsored by Mrs. I. C. Johnson; acquired 5 January 1945; and commissioned 6 January 1945, Captain H. E . Berger in command.
Brookings was assigned to the Pacific Fleet and served with Transport Divisions 57 and 71 as flagship. She transported military personnel and cargo to various Pacific islands during the final months of war and to Japan, Korea, and China followin g the war's end.
Brookings arrived 25 April 1946 at Yorktown, Va., where she went out of commission in reserve 26 July 1946.
Brooklyn is a borough of New York City.
(ScSlp: dp. 2532: l. 233'; b. 43'; dr. 16'3"; s. 11 5 k.; cpl. 335; a. 1 10" S. B., 20 9" S. B.; cl. Brooklyn)
The first Brooklyn was a wooden screw sloop launched in 1858 by Jacob A. Westervelt and Son, New York, N. Y., and commissioned 26 January 1859, Captain D. G. Farragut in command.
Brooklyn served with the West Gulf Blockading Squadron from 1861 until 1864, participating in action at Head of Passes, Mississippi River (15 February 1862); attacks on Forts Jackson and St. Philip, and in the capture of New Orleans (24 April); bombardment of Grand Gulf Miss. (26 May); attacks on the Vicksburg, Miss., batteries (28 June and 22 July); and the bombardment of Galveston, Tex. (24 February 1863). In August 1863 she departed for New York to receive needed repairs, arriving 26 August.
With repairs completed, she was recommissioned 14 April 1864 and rejoined the West Gulf Blockading Squadron. She took part in the capture of Mobile, Ala., and the combined attack on Fort Morgan, Mobile Bay (9-23 August 1864). At the Battle of Mobile Ba y (5 August 1864) she led the fleet toward the entrance of Mobile Bay, but her flinching at the crucial moment caused Farragut in Hartford to "Damn the torpedoes" and sail around her, himself taking the lead. Brooklyn was struck 40 times by enemy fire and suffered 11 men killed and 43 wounded during the battle. While Brooklyn was attached to the West Gulf Blockading Squadron she captured four prizes and assisted in the capture of eight others.
She served with the North Atlantic Blockading Squadron from October 1864 until January 1865. During this time she participated in the attacks on Fort Fisher, N. C. (23-24 December 1864 and 13-15 January 1865).
Between 1865 and 1889 Brooklyn made four cruises in South American waters (1865-67, 1875, 1881-84, and 1885-86). She also made a cruise in European waters (1871-73); cruised on the North Atlantic Station (1874): and visited the coast of Africa ( 1884). Her last service was an extensive cruise to Asiatic waters during 1886-89.
Brooklyn was decommissioned at New York Navy Yard 14 May 1889 and sold 25 March 1891.
(CA-3: dp. 9215; l. 402'7"; b. 64'8"; dr. 28'; s. 20 k.; cpl. 561; a. 8 8", 12 5", 5 18" TT.)
The second Brooklyn (CA-3) was launched 2 October 1895 by William Cramp and Sons Ship and Engine Build-
ing Co., Philadelphia, Pa.; sponsored by Miss Ida May Schieren; and commissioned 1 December 1896, Captain F. A. Cook in command.
Brooklyn's first assignment was a special cruise to Great Britain with representatives of the United States for the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria. The cruiser returned to the east coast in July 1897 and cruised there and in the West Indies u ntil becoming flagship of the Flying Squadron under Commodore W. S. Schley, 28 March 1898.
The Flying Squadron arrived at Cienfuegos, Cuba 21 May 1898 and established the blockade of that port. On 26 May the Squadron arrived at Santiago, Cuba, where the Spanish Fleet was being held behind the protection of the forts. Brooklyn was a ke y vessel in the Battle of Santiago (3 July 1898) in which the Spanish Fleet was destroyed. Although she was struck 20 times by whole shot, Brooklyn suffered only one man wounded (J. Bevins) and one man killed (George E Ellis).
Brooklyn returned to Tompkinsville, N. Y., 20 August 1898; cruised along the Atlantic coast and in Caribbean waters; participated in the Spanish-American War Victory Celebration at New York 5 October 1898; and in the Dewey Celebration at New Yor k in September 1899. She left Hampton Roads, Va., 16 October 1899 and sailed via the Suez Canal to Manila, Philippine Islands, where she arrived 16 December 1899. She became flagship of the Asiatic Squadron and participated in the North China Relief Exped ition (8 July-11 October 1900) and made a cruise to Australia and the Dutch East Indies (10 April-7 August 1901). She remained with the Asiatic Squadron until 1 March 1902, when she sailed for the United States via the Suez Canal and arrived at New York N avy Yard 1 May.
On 20 May 1902 Brooklyn was at Havana, Cuba for the ceremonies to transfer the authority on that Island from the United States Government to the Cuban Government. During June and July she was on special duty in connection with the obsequies of t he late British Ambassador to the United States, Lord Pauncefote. During the next four years she cruised with the North Atlantic Fleet and the European Squadron, returning to New York 26 May 1905. On 7 June 1905, as flagship of Rear Admiral C. D. Sigsbee, she sailed for Cherbourg, France, where the remains of the late John Paul Jones were received aboard and brought to America. Upon arrival at Annapolis, Commodore Jones' remains were transferred ashore to a receiving vault at the Naval Academy with approp riate ceremonies 23 July 1905.
On 16 May 1906, following a naval militia cruise (3-23 August 1905) and a tour in the Mediterranean (28 December 1905-8 May 1906), Brooklyn went into reserve at League Island Navy Yard. Except for a short period (30 June-2 August 1906) in commis sion for special service at Havana, Cuba, she remained in reserve until the spring of 1907. During 12 April-4 December 1907 Brooklyn served as part of the permanent display at the Jamestown Exposition, Jamestown, Va. Following her return to Philade lphia, Brooklyn went into reserve 21 December 1907.
Placed out of commission 23 June 1908, she was commissioned in ordinary 2 March 1914. She was assigned to the Atlantic Reserve Fleet and served as receiving ship at Boston Navy Yard (24 July 1914-13 March 1916). She was placed in full commission at Phi ladelphia 9 May 1915 and served on Neutrality Patrol around Boston Harbor until November, when she sailed to the Asiatic Station where she served as flagship for the Commander-in-Chief. She attended to regular military and diplomatic duties in China, Japa n, and Russia until September 1919 when she became the flagship of Commander, Division 1, Asiatic Fleet. In January 1920 she was assigned to the Pacific Fleet as flagship of Commander, Destroyer Squadrons, and remained there until 15 January 1921. Broo klyn was placed out of commission at Mare Island Navy Yard 9 March 1921 and sold 20 December 1921.
(CL-40: dp. 9700: l. 608'4"; b. 61'9"; dr. 24'; s. 33.6 k.; cpl. 868; a 15 6", 8 5"; cl. Brooklyn)
The third Brooklyn (CL-40) was launched 30 November 1936 by New York Navy Yard; sponsored by Miss Kathryn Jane Lackey, daughter of Rear Admiral F. R. Lackey; and commissioned 30 September 1937, Captain W. D. Brereton, Jr., in command.
Brooklyn joined the fleet in the Panama Canal Zone during the latter part of 1938. She was assigned to Cruiser Division 8 and attended to routine duties with the fleet until April 1939. In mid-April she returned to the United States where she pa rticipated in the opening of the New York World's Fair (30 April 1939). On 23 May Brooklyn was ordered to the scene of the Squalus (SB-192) disaster, six miles south of the Isles of Shoals N. H. Until 3 June she acted as a base ship during t he salvage and rescue operations. Brooklyn then steamed to the west coast where she joined the Pacific Fleet and participated in the opening of the Golden Gate Exposition (18 February 1940). She served on the went coast until March 1941, when she d eparted on a good-will and training tour of the South Pacific. In May she left Pearl Harbor for the east coast where she joined the Atlantic Squadron. During 1-7 July 1941 she escorted the convoy carrying Marines to Reykjavik, Iceland. During the remainde r of 1941 Brooklyn engaged in convoy escort and Neutrality Patrol.
With the entry of the United States into World War II Brooklyn got underway from Bermuda to patrol the Caribbean Sea. In April 1942 she was assigned convoy escort duty between the United States and the United Kingdom. On 3 September during one o f the trans-Atlantic crossings, Wakefield (AP-21), a member of the convoy caught fire and was abandoned. Brooklyn rescued 1173 troops which had been embarked on board Wakefield. Although severely damaged by the fire Wakefiel d was towed to safety and repaired.
On 24 October 1942 Brooklyn departed Norfolk for North Africa. On 8 November she bombarded shore installations to cover the Fedhala landing. While thus engaged she was hit by a dud projectile from a coastal defense gun which damaged two of the c ruiser's guns and wounded five of her crew. She departed Casablanca for the east coast 17 November 1942. Between January and July 1943 she made three convoy escort voyages between the east coast and Casablanca and then steamed to the Mediterranean where s he carried out screening and fire support duties during the invasion of Sicily (10-14 July).
Remaining in the Mediterranean, Brooklyn next covered the Anzio-Nettuno landings (22 January-9 February 1944). Between 13 and 23 May 1944 she participated in the bombardment of the Formia-Anzio area and then carried out exercises in preparation for the invasion of southern France. On 15 August 1944 Brooklyn furnished part of the heavy naval gunfire which preceded the landing of Allied troops on the coast of southern France. She remained on duty in the Mediterranean until 21 Novembe r 1944 when she departed Sicily for New York, arriving 30 November.
Between December 1944 and May 1945 Brooklyn underwent extensive overhaul and alteration at New York Navy Yard. From May through September 1945 she exercised along the eastern seaboard and then reported to Philadelphia Navy Yard for her pre-inact ivation overhaul. She went in commission in reserve 30 January 1946 and out of commission in reserve 3 January 1947. On 9 January 1951 Brooklyn was transferred under the Mutual Defense Assistance Program to Chile.
Brooklyn received four battle stars for her World War II service.
Born in Brookfield, Mass., in 1783, John Brooks, Jr. was appointed a 2d Lieutenant, USMC, 1 October 1807. He commanded the detachment of Marines on Commodore Perry's flagship, Lawrence, and was killed in action during the Battle of Lake E rie 10 September 1813.
(DD-232: dp. 1215; l. 314'4"; b. 31'8"; dr. 9'10"; s. 33.2 k.; cpl. 130; a. 4 6", 1 3", 12 21" TT., cl. Clemson)
Brooks (DD-232) was launched 24 April 1919 by New York Shipbuilding Co., Camden, N. J.; sponsored by Mrs. George S. Keyes, grandniece of Lieutenant Brooks; and commissioned 18 June 1920, Lieutenant D. M. Dalton in command.
Brooks left Philadelphia for European waters 26 August 1920. She was first assigned to the Baltic Patrol for a short time and then the Naval Forces in the Adriatic. She joined the United States Naval Forces in Turkish Waters in June 1921. Bro oks departed for the United States 26 September 1921 and arrived at New York City 19 October. She was then assigned to the Scouting Fleet, U. S. Fleet, and participated in Fleet maneuvers in the Caribbean, Atlantic, and Pacific until placed out of com mission in reserve at Philadelphia Navy Yard 20 January 1931.
Brooks was recommissioned at Philadelphia Navy Yard 18 June 1932 and assigned to the Scouting Force, participating in fleet operations on both coasts until going out of commission in reserve at Philadelphia 2 September 1938. She was recommission ed 25 April 1939 and assigned to the Neutrality Patrol on the Atlantic coast where she remained until she joined the Local Defense Force, 13th Naval District, in November 1940. Brooks was operating with this force when the United States entered Wor ld War II.
As a patrol and escort ship, Brooks operated between California, Washington, and Alaska during the first year of World War II. On 20 September 1942 she arrived at
Seattle, Wash., to commence conversion to a high speed transport. On 1 December 1942 her classification was changed to APD-10 and she was assigned to the South Pacific.
She served as a transport and minesweeper during the Lae, New Guinea, landings (4-14 September 1943); Finschhafen, New Guinea, landings (22 and 29-30 September); Cape Gloucester, New Britain, assault (26 and 28-29 December); Saidor, New Guinea, landing s (2 January-17 February 1944); Admiralty Islands landings (29 February-5 March and 19 March); Hollandia, New Guinea, assault (22-28 April); capture of Saipan (14-22 June); Leyte occupation (18 November-4 December); Mindoro invasion (12-18 December); and the Lingayen Gulf, Luzon, landings (3-6 January 1945).
On 6 January 1945 a Japanese suicide plane crashed into Brooks' port side starting a fire amidships. The main and auxiliary steam lines were severed; the fire main broken; and the sea valve to the condenser was pierced, causing the forward engin e room to flood. Three of Brooks' crew were killed and 11 wounded. She was towed to San Pedro, Calif., by SS Watch Hill and decommissioned there 2 August 1945. Brooks was sold 30 January 1946.
Brooks received the Navy Unit Commendation and six battle stars for her World War II service.
Born in 1824 in New York City, John Lloyd Broome was commissioned a Second Lieutenant in the Marine Corps in 1848. His 40 years of service included action at Veracruz, Alvarado, and Laguna del Carmen, Mexico, (1848); as senior Marine officer of the West Gulf Blockading Squadron during which he played a prominent part in the capture of New Orleans and all engagements of the Squadron on the Mississippi River. He was twice wounded; severely, at the second Battle of Vicksburg. Lieutenant Colonel Broome retired 8 March 1888 and died in 1898 at Binghamton, N. Y., where he was buried.
(DD-210: dp. 1215: l. 314'4"; b. 31'9"; dr. 9'10"; s. 35 k.; cpl. 122; a. 4 5", 1 3", 12 21" TT.; cl. Clemson)
Broome (DD-210) was launched 14 May 1919 by William Cramp and Sons Ship and Engine Building Co., Philadelphia, Pa., sponsored by Miss Mary Josephine Keyworth Broome, granddaughter of Lieutenant Colonel Broome; and commissioned 31 October 1919, C ommander C. G. Davy in command.
Broome left New York Navy Yard in May 1920 for duty in European waters. She cruised between English and French ports, as well as in the Baltic and Mediterranean. At the end of the year she reported to the Asiatic Fleet. After two years she retur ned to the United States and went out of commission at San Diego 30 December 1922.
Broome was recommissioned 5 February 1930 and thereafter served actively with the fleet in the Pacific until 1939, except for a period in reduced commission during 1934. In May 1939 Broome arrived at Norfolk Navy Yard for duty in the Atla ntic. In 1941 she was attached to Destroyer Division 63, Patrol Force, and operated with the Neutrality Patrol on the Atlantic coast. Later that year, she served as a convoy escort between Iceland and the United States.
From January 1942 until May 1945 Broome engaged in convoy escort, patrol, and training operations in east coast Icelandic, Canadian, and Caribbean waters. In addition, she escorted several trans-Atlantic convoys to North Africa and the United Ki ngdom.
On 4 May 1945 Broome arrived at Charleston Navy Yard for overhaul and on 23 May her designation was changed to AG-96. On 10 June 1945, as a unit of the Atlantic Fleet attached to the Operational Training Command, she reported for duty at Guantan amo Bay, Cuba, where she served until December 1945. On 10 December she proceeded to Philadelphia and commenced her pre-inactivation overhaul. Broome was decommissioned 20 May 1946 and sold 20 November 1946.
Born in Pueblo, Colo., 15 June 1914, David Aitkens Brough enlisted in the Naval Reserve in 1930. He was
appointed a Naval Aviator 30 July 1940. Lieutenant (junior grade) Brough died 30 July 1942 as a result of an airplane crash while on active duty with Patrol Squadron 42 in the Aleutian Islands.
(DE-148: dp. 1200: l. 308'; b. 38'7"; dr. 12'3" a. 21 k.; cpl. 188; a. 3 3", 3 21" TT., cl. Edsall)
Brough (DE-148) was launched 10 April 1943 by Consolidated Steel Corp., Ltd., Orange, Tex.; sponsored by Mrs. Jack Bell, sister of Lieutenant (junior grade) Brough; and commissioned 18 September 1943, Lieutenant Commander K. J. Hartley in comman d.
After intensive shakedown exercises Brough was assigned to duty escorting Allied shipping to European ports. She engaged in this duty for two years during which time she made 24 Atlantic crossings. Brough was placed out of commission in r eserve 22 March 1948 at Green Cove Springs, Fla.
She was recommissioned 7 September 1951 and reported to the Atlantic Fleet. Between 1 December 1951 and March 1952 Brough made three cruises to the Caribbean and then conducted local operations out of Newport, R. I., and Key West, Fla., until th e fall of 1952.
Between November 1952 and September 1958 Brough alternated duty between the Fleet Sonar School, Key West and Newport. In addition, she participated in Operation Springboard in the Caribbean (November-December 1958) and in a midshipmen cruise to northern Europe and the Caribbean (9 July-8 September 1956). In September 1956 she commenced operations as a unit of Operation Deep Freeze II. She served as an aircraft picket and weather ship on the approaches to Antarctica during the fly-in of aircraft from New Zealand. On 5 April 1957 Brough returned to Newport.
George Brown entered the Navy on board the schooner Enterprise as a Seaman, at Malta, 8 July 1803. He took part in the expedition under Lieutenant Stephen Decatur, Jr., which entered the harbor of Tripoli in the ketch Intrepid 18 February 1804 and destroyed the frigate Philadelphia. Quartermaster Brown was detached from the Navy 2 March 1806.
(DD-546: dp. 2050: l. 378'5"; b. 39'7"; dr. 17'9"; s. 35.2 k.; cpl. 329; a. 5 5", 10 21" TT.; cl. Fletcher)
Brown (DD-548) was launched 21 February 1943 by Bethlehem Steel Co., San Pedro, Calif.; sponsored by Mrs. Claude O. Kell, wife of Captain Kell, and commissioned 10 July 1943, Lieutenant Commander T. H. Copeman in command.
On 10 November 1943 Brown departed Pearl Harbor in company with TF 50 enroute to the forward area. During Brown's very active service in the Pacific she screened carriers during the Gilbert Islands invasion (21 November-8 December 1943); Kavieng, New Ireland, raids (25 December 1943-4 January 1944); Marshall Islands raids (29 January-7 February); Truk raid (16-17 February); Palau-Yap-Woleai raids (30 March-2 April); assault and capture of Hollandia, New Guinea (21-28 April); Truk raid (29 April); bombardment of Satawan (30 April); Ponape raids (1 May); Marcus Island raid (19-20 May); Wake Island raid (23 May); strikes in support of the assault on Saipan (1-28 June); Battle of the Philippine Sea, during which she rescued four American pilo ts (19-20 June); bombardment of Iwo Jima (4 July); assault on Guam and Tinian (12 July-8 August); Yap raids (26-28 July); Chichi Jima raids (4-5 August); raids on Palau, Mindanao, Talaud, and Morotai, supporting the capture of the southern Palaus and Ulit hi (6-15 September); raids against Luzon and the Visayas (21-24 September); raids on Okinawa, Formosa, and Luzon (10-19 October) Battle for Leyte Gulf (25 October); raids on Manila and the Visayas (5 November); and raids against northern and central Phili ppines in support of the seizing of Mindoro Island (15-18 December).
Task Force 38 wan caught in a typhoon (17-18 December) and strikes against Luzon were canceled in order to search for survivors of three missing destroyers. On 21 December Brown recovered 13 survivors of Hull (DD-350) and six survivors of Monaghan (DD-354). Brown then proceeded to Ulithi and received orders to return to Seattle, Wash., for overhaul. Repairs completed on 1 March 1945, she was ready for sea. After a brief stop at Pearl Harbor, Brown headed westward to t ake part in the Okinawa operation (1 April-30 June 1945), during which she was awarded the Navy Unit Commendation for her service as a radar picket ship; 3d Fleet operations against Japan (30 June-15 July); and the minesweeping operations southwest of Oki nawa.
With the cessation of hostilities Brown served with the occupation forces in Japan until 28 October 1945. She then departed for San Diego, arriving 17 November 1946. Ordered to duty with the 19th Fleet, she went out of commission in reserve 1 Au gust 1946 at San Diego.
Brown was recommissioned 27 October 1950. She conducted intensive shakedown operations off the west coast and then reported to Commander, Naval Forces, Far East, in March 1951. From March until September she operated with TFs 77 and 95 an d participated in the siege of Wonsan Harbor on two occasions. Brown returned to California in October 1951. Her next Western Pacific tour was between July 1952 and January 1953 during which time she operated on the Formosan Patrol. Since that time she has made four Far Eastern tours and has operated along the west coast.
Brown received the Navy Unit Commendation, for services rendered during the Okinawa operation, in addition to 13 battle stars for her World War II service. She was awarded two battle stars for her Korean service.
Brown, Walter S. (DE-258) see Walter S. Brown (DE-268)
Brown, William H. see William H. Brown
Born in Lyons, N. Y., 8 July 1845, Willard Herbert Brownson graduated from the Academy In 1865. He commanded the protected cruiser Detroit at Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, during the revolution of 1893-94 and Yankee during the Spanish-American War. From 1900 until 1902 he was Superintendent of the Naval Academy. He became Commander-in-Chief of the Asiatic Fleet 15 October 1906. After his retirement in July 1907 he continued on active duty as Chief of the Bureau of Navigation by order of Preside nt Theodore Roosevelt. Rear Admiral Brownson died at Washington, D. C., 16 March 1935.
(DD-518; dp. 2050; l. 376'5"; b. 39'7"; dr. 17'9"; s. 35.5 k.; cpl. 329; a. 5 5", 10 21" TT.; cl. Fletcher)
The first Brownson (DD-518) was launched 24 September 1942 by Bethlehem Steel Co., Staten Island, N. Y.; sponsored by Mrs. Cleland S. Baxter, granddaughter of Admiral Brownson; and commissioned 3 February 1948, Lieutenant Commander J. B. Maher i n command.
Brownson operated in both the Atlantic and Pacific. From her commissioning until 11 June 1943, she operated along the northeastern seaboard of the United States and in the North Atlantic as a convoy escort and anti-submarine patrol ship. She mad e one voyage to North Africa (12-31 May 1943).
On 18 June 1943 she transited the Panama Canal arriving in California on the 28th. She operated briefly along the California coast before getting underway for Alaska in July. Upon arrival she performed patrol and convoy escort duty until 29 November 19 48. She then steamed via Pearl Harbor to the Southwest Pacific, where
she supported operations in the Bismarck Archipelago that overwhelmed the Japanese.
At approximately 1442, 26 December 1943 Brownson was hit by two bombs from a Japanese dive bomber while screening the landings on Cape Gloucester, New Britain. The bombs struck to starboard of the centerline, near number two stack. A tremendous explosion followed and the entire structure above the main deck, as well as the deck plating, was gone. The ship listed 10 to 15 degrees to starboard and settled rapidly amidships with the bow and stern canted upward.
The wounded were placed in rafts and at 1450 the order to abandon ship was given. The amidships section was entirely underwater at that time. There was a single ripple like a depth charge explosion and the ship sank at 1459. Brownson suffered th e loss of 108 of her crew. The remainder were rescued by Daly (DD-519) and Lamson (DD-367).
Brownson received one battle star for her World War II service.
(DD-868: dp. 2425: l. 390'6"; b. 40'10"; dr. 18'6"; s. 34.6 k.; cpl. 345; a. 6 5", 10 21" TT.; cl. Gearing)
The second Brownson (DD-868) was launched 17 November 1945 by Bethlehem Steel Co., Staten Island, N. Y.; sponsored by Miss Caroline Brownson Hart, granddaughter of Admiral Brownson; and commissioned 17 November 1945, Commander W. R. Cox in comma nd.
Brownson conducted shakedown in the Atlantic and Caribbean and was then placed in a reduced operational status at Bath, Maine for six months. Resuming active operations in October 1946, she participated in Operation High Jump between November 19 46 and April 1947.
Brownson spent the summer and fall of 1947 operating out of Newport. In February 1948 she took part in the 2nd Fleet exercises in the Caribbean and then joined the 6th Fleet in the Mediterranean. She returned to Newport in June 1948 and spent Ju ne 1948 to May 1949 conducting reserve cruises.
In May 1949 she entered Boston Naval Shipyard for an extensive modernization which lasted until March 1950. She conducted refresher training in the Caribbean and in the summer of 1950 made a Midshipmen cruise in the Caribbean. She then participated in fleet exercises, operating out of Newport.
During night operations of Bermuda on 8 November 1950 Brownson collided with Charles H. Roan (DD-853). She returned to Boston for repairs and further modernization. Leaving the yard in February 1951 she joined the 6th Fleet in the Mediterranean. The period between October 1951 and August 1952 was spent in the vicinity of Newport. In August 1952 she went to the North Atlantic with the 2nd Fleet for NATO's Operation Mainbrace. In October 1952 she rejoined the 6th Fleet in the Mediter ranean. Returning to Newport in February 1953, she operated along the Atlantic seaboard and in the Caribbean until August 1954, with the exception of one Midshipmen cruise and participation in Operation Springboard.
She departed Newport 2 August for an extended tour in the Far East with the 7th Fleet. In the Far East Brownson cruised in Japanese, Philippine, and Korean waters until January 1955. Departing the Far East she returned to the east coast, via the Suez Canal, arriving at Newport 14 March 1955.
Since March 1955 Brownson has operated along the eastern seaboard, in the Caribbean, and in the Mediterranean.
Brownsville is a city in Texas.
(PF-10: dp. 1430: l. 303'11"; b. 37'6"; dr. 13'8"; s. 20.3 k.; cpl. 190; a. 3 3"; cl. Tacoma)
Brownsville (PF-10) was launched 14 November 1943 by Kaiser Cargo, Inc., Richmond, Calif.; sponsored by Mrs. J. H. Burney; and commissioned 6 May 1944, Commander H. M. Warner, USCG, in command.
Between September 1944 and April 1946 the Coast Guard manned Brownsville was attached to the Western Sea Frontier. She operated with the Southern California Sector in the San Diego area, conducting amphibious training and anti-submarine warfare exercises, barrier patrol, and escorted convoys until April 1945 when she joined the Northern California Sector. After a brief period of patrolling off the entrance to San Francisco Bay, Brownsville began patrol on weather and plane guard stations. She performed this service until 15 April 1946 when she was placed out of commission and loaned to the Coast Guard. She was returned from the Coast Guard 28 June 1946 and sold 30 September 1947.
Born in Grand Island, Nebr., 20 August 1870, Frank Bruce entered the Navy as a Boatswain 6 February 1911 and was commissioned a Lieutenant (temporary) 1 July 1918. He commanded Bobolink (AM-20) during the North Sea Mine Barrage Sweep and was kil led when a mine exploded 17 May 1919.
(DD-329: dp. 1215: l. 314'4"; b. 31'8"; dr. 9'10"; s. 33 k.; cpl. 122; a. 4 4", 1 3", 12 21" TT.; cl. Clemson)
Bruce (DD-329) was launched 20 May 1920 by Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corp., San Francisco, Calif., sponsored by Mrs. Annie Bruce, widow of Lieutenant Bruce, and commissioned 29 September 1920, Lieutenant Commander G. N. Reeves, Jr., in command.
Bruce operated out of San Diego during her first year of service on engineering, gunnery, and torpedo exercises, and maneuvered with Squadron 5, Pacific Fleet. In November 1921 her home yard was changed to Boston and she reported to Division 27, Scouting Fleet. Her schedule of employment during succeeding years was the established routine of practice and fleet maneuvers. In December 1924 her commanding officer also assumed command of Destroyer Division 27. Her home yard was changed from Boston t o Norfolk Navy Yard in June 1925. On 17 June, with her division, she sailed for duty with U. S. Naval Forces, Europe. During the next year, naval forces operating in European waters cooperated with the State Department as a stabilizing influence in troubl ed regions and as security for American citizens living in these areas.
Upon her return to Norfolk Navy Yard she operated along the eastern seaboard and in Cuban and Haitian waters until March 1927. In March she participated in the Fleet Tactical Problem held at Colon, C. Z., followed by the Fleet concentration along the A tlantic coast. During that summer she made training cruises with Naval Reservists along the northeastern seaboard. During 1928 and 1929 she continued to participate in fleet maneuvers and exercises along the east coast. In September 1929 Bruce put in at Philadelphia Navy Yard, where on 1 May 1930, she was decommissioned. She was later towed to Norfolk Navy Yard where she was used for experimental strength tests, before scrapping. Her salvage metal was sold in August 1932.
Bruen, Sarah see Sarah Bruen
Brule is a county in South Dakota.
(APA-66: dp. 4247: l. 426'; b. 58'; dr. 16'; s. 16.9 k.; cpl. 320; a. 1 5"; cl. Gilliam)
The first Brule (APA-66) was launched 30 June 1944 by Consolidated Steel Corp., Ltd., Wilmington, Calif.,
under a Maritime Commission contract; sponsored by Miss Patricia Moreell, daughter of Vice Admiral Ben Moreell; acquired 31 October 1944; and commissioned the same day, Commander E. Fluhr, USNR, in command.
Brule joined Transport Squadron 16 and departed San Pedro 26 November 1944 for Pearl Harbor. Between December 1944 and March 1945 she conducted training exercises in the vicinity of the Hawaiian Islands. From April 1945 until the cessation of ho stilities Brule carried troops and supplies between various bases in the Bonins, Marianas, Marshalls, Philippines, and Solomons. After the war's end she operated with the 7th Fleet during the occupation of Korea and China.
In November 1945 Brule became a unit of the "Magic Carpet" fleet. While at Yokosuka, during one of her voyages, Brule was ordered to prepare for assignment to the target fleet at Bikini for Operation Crossroads. She completed her run from Yokosuka to Pearl Harbor and then commenced preparation for the operation.
Brule survived the atomic bomb tests at Bikini and following the test period was decommissioned and maintained for radiological and structural studies. She was destroyed by sinking 11 May 1948.
(AKL-28: dp. 550: l. 177'; b. 33'; dr. 10'; s. 12 k.; cpl. 42; cl. Camano)
The second Brule was built in 1944 by Sturgeon Bay Shipbuilding Co., Sturgeon Bay, Wis., as the small freighter FS-370 for the Army. In 1950 FS-370 was turned over to the Military Sea Transportation Service and redesignated USNS AKL-28 (T-AKL-28). On 31 October 1952 she was accepted by the Navy at Pearl Harbor and placed in commission as Brule (AKL-28) the same day, Lieutenant J. H. Kolbert in command.
After completion of training Brule proceeded to Guam where on 31 January 1953 she reported to Commander, Service Division 51. Between February 1953 and December 1955 she transported cargo throughout the Pacific, visiting the Marshalls, Carolines , Marianas, Philippines, Bonins, and Okinawa and Japan. On 31 December 1955 the Division was decommissioned and Brule reported to Commander, Naval Forces, Marianas.
On 25 November 1956 Brule proceeded to Subic Bay, Philippine Islands, and reported to Commander, Naval Forces, Philippines, 2 December 1956. She was decommissioned and placed in service 6 December 1956.
Brunswick is a city in Georgia.
Brunswick a lighthouse service lightship, served with the Navy 1918-19.
(PF-68: dp. 1430; l. 303'11"; b. 37'6"; dr. 13'8"; s. 20.3 k.; cpl. 190; a. 2 3"; cl. Tacoma)
Brunswick (PF-68) was launched 6 November 1943 by Leathem D. Smith Shipbuilding Co., Sturgeon Bay, Wis.; sponsored by Mrs. K. G. Berrie, wife of the Mayor of Brunswick, Gal; and commissioned 3 October 1944, Lieutenant Commander B. B. Sherry, USC G, in command.
Between 11 December 1944 and 7 June 1945 the Coast Guard manned Brunswick served as a convoy escort vessel on three voyages between the east coast and Oran, Algeria, and return.
On 7 June 1945 she entered Philadelphia Navy Yard for conversion to a weather ship and then served on weather patrol in the North Atlantic from 9 July 1945 until 24 March 1946. She then commenced her pre-inactivation overhaul at Boston and was decommis sioned May 1946 Brunswick was sold 9 April 1947.
Charles Francis Brush, a physicist, inventor, and manufacturer, was born in Euclid, Ohio, 17 March 1849. In 1878, after successful experimentation with electric lighting, he produced the electric arc light which bears his name. In 1880 he founded the B rush Electric Co., which became the owner of his numerous patents in the field of electric lighting. He died at Cleveland, Ohio, 15 June 1929.
(DD-745: dp. 2200: l. 376'6"; b. 40'10"; dr. 19'; s. 34.2 k.; cpl. 345; a. 6 5", 10 21" TT.; cl. Allen M. Sumner)
Brush (DD-745) was launched 28 December 1943 by Bethlehem Steel Co., Staten Island, N. Y.; sponsored by Miss Virginia Perkins, great-granddaughter of Charles Brush; and commissioned 17 April 1944, Commander J. E. Edwards in command.
On 30 August 1944 Brush arrived at Pearl Harbor and after training got underway for Eniwetok, Marshall Islands, 28 September. From Eniwetok she escorted convoys to Ulithi and the Palau Islands.
Serving with the 5th and 3d Fleets she took part in the Leyte operation (5 November-16 December 1944); Luzon-Formosa-China coast-Nansei Shoto strikes (3-22 January 1945); invasion of Iwo Jima and the supporting 5th Fleet raids (15 February-5 March); an d Okinawa operation (17 March-27 April), including the 21 April bombardment of Minami Daito Shima. She retired to Ulithi, Caroline Islands, where she lay 30 April-10 May before joining the 5th Fleet for the projected invasion of Kyushu Japan. Brush lay at anchor in Leyte Gulf from 13 June to 1 July 1945 and then departed for a raid on the Japanese island of Hokkaido. On 22 July Brush and other destroyers of her squadron conducted an anti-shipping sweep near the entrance of Tokyo Bay. She rem ained in this area on air-sea rescue duty until 14 September when she steamed into Tokyo Bay. On 24 September 1945 she left the Far East for the United States.
She arrived at Seattle, Wash., 15 October 1945 and operated along the west coast until early 1946 when she departed for Guam. She remained at Guam until 9 March and then steamed to Tsingtao, China, arriving on the 19th. With the exception of two voyage s to the Philippine Islands, she operated in the East China Sea between Tsingtao and Shanghai until January 1947. Brush returned to Guam 18 January 1947 for repairs.
Repairs completed 16 February 1947, she sailed to San Diego, via Saipan, Kwajalein, and Pearl Harbor, arriving 24 March. Until May 1950 Brush remained on the west coast participating in local operations, plane guard duties, and type training. In May 1950 she was ordered to the Far East and entered Formosan waters as a unit of TF 77 on 29 June 1950. She screened the carrier units during the United Nations air strikes against North Korea and participated in shore bombardment. On 26 September 1950 while shelling the shore off Tanchon, Korea, Brush struck a mine, ripping her midships section and breaking her keel. Thirteen men were killed and 31 injured. Brush received temporary repairs at Japan and returned under her own power to Puge t Sound Naval Shipyard, arriving 22 December 1950.
Almost a year later Brush departed on her second Korean cruise. She stopped at Pearl Harbor for one month and then joined TF 77 for anti-submarine and antiaircraft duties off Korea until 25 February 1952. In March Brush was assigned to th e Formosan patrol and then participated in hunter-killer exercises off Okinawa. She returned to Japan 12 April and joined the blockade of Korea's west coast with TF's 95 and 77. She returned to San Diego 26 June 1952.
Brush operated off the California coast until February 1953 when she commenced her third Korean cruise. She returned to the United States 30 August. Since September 1953 Brush has operated along the west coast and has completed three more Far Eastern cruises.
Brush received five battle stars for World War II service and four battle stars for her Korean operations.
Marcus Junius Brutus (85?-42 B. C.) was a Roman politician and one of Caesar's assassins.
(AC-15: dp. 2000; l. 332'6"; b. 41'6"; dr. 22'11"; s. 10 k.; cpl. 80; a. 4 6-pdr.)
Brutus (AC-15) was built in 1894 by J. Readhead and Sons, South Shields-on-Tyne, England, as Peter Jebsen; purchased by the Navy at San Francisco 21 April 1898; and commissioned 27 May 1898, Lieutenant V. L. Cottman in command.
Having towing equipment, Brutus took the monitor Monterey in tow and departed San Diego 11 June 1898. Having towed that vessel more than 3700 miles, Brutus arrived at Manila 4 August after brief stops enroute. On 9 March 1899 she r eturned to Mare Island Navy Yard and was assigned to the Pacific Station. Leaving Mare Island 2 April 1899 she made her way across the Pacific, via Samoa and Honolulu, to Guam where she served at times as station ship (13 August 1899-28 March 1901). Retur ning to the Atlantic, via the Orient and Mediterranean, Brutus reached New York 6 August 1901 and went out of commission there 29 August 1901.
Commencing 1 November 1901 she operated under contract as a fleet auxiliary fuel ship for special service having a merchant complement (Naval Auxiliary Service). Her services were assigned to the Asiatic Fleet, 1903-07, and during 28 December 1905-9 Ju ly 1906 she towed the Dewey Drydock to the Philippines. She was attached to the Atlantic Fleet between 1907 and 1916. In 1913-14 she supplied vessels patrolling in Mexican waters. In 1915 she loaded cargo and stores to service the vessels of the Navy in t he Mediterranean and Near East and served as a towing vessel for target practice while there.
In April 1916 Brutus was transferred to the Pacific Station, based at Mare Island Navy Yard. At the beginning of World War I her officers and crew were taken into the Naval Reserve. On 24 April 1917, bound for Mexican waters, she was stranded on Cerros Island during a fog. She was floated after ten days; towed to San Diego for temporary repair, and was later towed to Mare Island Navy Yard for permanent repairs. When ready for service, in addition to her special duties, she convoyed a subchaser f lotilla in Mexican waters and patrolled there. Late in 1918 Brutus participated in the Alaska Red Cross Influenza Relief Expedition, returning with passengers and cargo in January 1919. Thereafter, she served with the Train, Pacific Fleet, until di spatched a year later with coal and supplies to the Naval Station, Tutuila, Samoa. In March 1920 she departed Samoa enroute to Honolulu with MS Oregon in tow. Returning to base, she continued her duties during another year, making several calls at Puget Sound Navy Yard to load ammunition for delivery to the Fleet. She was decommissioned 17 August 1921 and sold 29 July 1922.
Born in Washington, Pa., 24 May 1877, Samuel Wood Bryant graduated from the Academy in 1900. During World War I he won the Navy Cross as commanding officer of Allen (DD-66) on convoy duty. He became Chief of Staff to Commander, Scouting Forc e, U. S. Fleet, in 1931. Rear Admiral Bryant retired 1 March 1937 and died at Asheville, N. C., 4 November 1938.
(DD-665: dp. 2050; l. 376'5"; b. 39'7"; dr. 17'9"; s. 35.2 k.; cpl. 329; a. 5 5", 10 21" TT.; cl. Fletcher)
Bryant (DD-665) was launched 29 May 1943 by Charleston Navy Yard; sponsored by Mrs. Samuel W. Bryant, widow of Rear Admiral Bryant; and commissioned 4 December 1943, Commander P. L. High in command.
On 28 March 1944 Bryant arrived in the Pacific and during the next 14 months took part in the seizure at Saipan and Tinian (15 June-2 August 1944); Battle of the Philippine Sea (19-20 June); capture of the southern Palaus and Ulithi (6-29 Septem ber); support of minesweeping operations and amphibious assault on Dinagat and Leyte Islands (14 October 1944-2 January 1945), during which she suffered slight material damage and one man wounded when, on 22 December, a Japanese suicide plane crashed abou t 25 yards off her port twice; Battle of Surigao Strait (24-25 October), during which Bryant in company with Robinson (DD-562) and Halford (DD-480), executed a well coordinated torpedo attack ; Lingayen Gulf landings (2-21 January 194 5); Iwo Jima invasion (14 February-9 March); and the Okinawa operation (21 March-28 April). On 13 April 1945, while patrolling on radar picket station, Bryant was attacked by six enemy planes, one of which succeeded in crashing into the port side o f the bridge. The plane was carrying a bomb which exploded upon impact, causing extreme damage to the bridge structure. Twenty-eight men were killed, eight men were missing, and 33 were wounded.
The ship returned to the United States in June and underwent repair at United Engineering Co., Ltd., Alameda, Calif., until September 1945. Arriving at San Diego 27 September, she was inactivated and placed in reserve commission 9 July 1946. She was pl aced out of commission in reserve 15 January 1947.
Bryant received the Navy Unit Commendation and seven battle stars during her World War II career.
Bryce Canyon is a national park in Utah.
(AD-36: dp. 8091: l. 492'; b. 70'; dr. 28"; s. 18 k.; cpl. 859; a. 2 5"; cl. Shenandoah)
Bryce Canyon (AD-36) was launched 7 March 1946 by Charleston Navy Yard and sponsored by Mrs. William J. Carter, wife of Rear Admiral Carter. Little additional work was done on her until after the outbreak of hostilities in Korea. Charleston Nava l Shipyard then completed the tender and she was commissioned 15 September 1950, Captain M. H. Gerin in command.
Bryce Canyon transited the Panama Canal 5 December and reported to the Pacific Fleet. On 26 March 1951 she got underway from San Diego for the Far East. Arriving at Yokosuka, Japan, 12 April 1951, she spent the next seven months in Japanese wate rs repairing and servicing vessels based at Yokosuka and Sasebo. Bryce Canyon left Japan 4 November 1951 and arrived at San Diego 18 November 1951.
She got underway, via Pearl Harbor, for her second Western Pacific cruise 27 June 1952. This cruise was completed 16 February 1953 when she arrived at Long Beach, Calif. On 26 September 1953 she again sailed for Sasebo where she arrived 16 October. Bryce Canyon provided tender service in Sasebo, Yokosuka, Nagoya, and Kobe during this tour. She returned to the United States 17 June 1954.
Her fourth Western Pacific tour commenced 25 February 1955. She serviced vessels at Subic Bay, Luzon, between 16 March and 28 April and then proceeded to Yokosuka, arriving 11 May 1955. Bryce Canyon returned to Long Beach 11 August 1955. On 9 De cember 1955 she departed California on her fifth Western Pacific tour which ended at Long Beach 26 October 1956. Between Far Eastern cruises Bryce Canyon has operated along the west coast.
Bryce Canyon received one battle star for her services to the forces afloat in the Korean combat area.
Bucareli Bay (CVE-61) see Manila Bay (CVE-61)
Bucareli Bay (CVE-98) see Kwajalein (CVE-98)
A buccaneer is a pirate; especially one of the freebooters preying upon early Spanish-American vessels and settlements.
(PY: T. 160: l. 138'; b. 20'; dr. 9'3"; cpl. 31; a. 2 6-pdr., 4 2-pdr., 1 1-pdr.)
Buccaneer, a converted yacht, was built in 1888 by Atlantic Iron Works, Boston, Mass., as Unquowa (later renamed Buccaneer, Privateer, Carola III, Columbine II and Buccaneer); loaned to the Navy in 1898; commissioned 14 May 1898, Lieutenant H. W. Hines in command; and moved to Port Tampa, Fla., for conversion and repair.
During 6-18 August 1898 she patrolled near Key West. On 22 August she arrived at Hampton Roads, Va., and on 5 September at New York Navy Yard where her naval equipment and stores were removed. On 12 September 1898 she was decommissioned and subsequentl y returned to her owner.
Born in Baltimore, Md., 17 September 1800, Franklin Buchanan entered the Navy as a Midshipman on board Java in 1815. He organized the Naval Academy and served as its first superintendent (1845-47). He commanded the sloop Germantown in the Mexican War, the steam sloop Susquehanna, flagship of Perry's Squadron, in the expedition to Japan in 1852; and in 1859, became Commandant of the Washington Navy Yard. In 1861 he joined Confederate forces at Richmond, Va., and for gallant a nd meritorious conduct he was promoted to Admiral, the ranking officer in the Confederate States Navy. He was twice wounded severely and was taken prisoner of war, 5 August 1864. Admiral Buchanan died at his home "The Rest" in Talbot County, Md., 11 May 1 874.
(DD-131: dp. 1154: l. 314'5"; b. 31'8"; dr. 9'; s. 35.4 k.; cpl. 122; a. 4 4", 1 3", 12 21" TT.; cl. Wickes)
The first Buchanan (DD-131) was launched 2 January 1919 by Bath Iron Works, Bath, Maine; sponsored by Mrs. Charles P. Wetherbee; and commissioned 20 January 1919, Lieutenant H. H. J. Bensen in command.
Buchanan reported to Commander, Destroyer Force, at Guantanamo, Cuba, and was temporarily attached to Destroyer Squadron 2 until ordered to the Pacific Fleet in July 1919 for duty with Destroyer Flotilla 4. From 7 June 1922 until 10 April 1930 < I>Buchanan was out of commission at San Diego. She then joined Destroyer Division 10, Destroyer Squadrons, Battle Force, and operated on the west coast in routine division, force, and fleet activities and problems. In the summer of 1934 after making a cruise to Alaska with ROTC units aboard, she was placed in reduced commission attached to Rotating Reserve Destroyer Squadron 20 at San Diego.
Again placed in full commission in December 1934, she resumed operations with Division 5, Destroyers, Battle Force. Buchanan was again out of commission at San Diego from 9 April 1937 until 30 September 1939. She was then refitted for action wit h Division 65, Destroyer Squadron 32, Atlantic Squadron, and from December 1939 until 22 February 1940 operated with the Neutrality Patrol and Antilles Detachment. She was then assigned to patrol in the Gulf of Mexico, operating out of Galveston, Tex., an d later off Key West and around the Florida Straits. She arrived at Boston Navy Yard 2 September and then proceeded to Halifax, Nova Scotia, where on 9 September 1940 she was decommissioned and transferred In the destroyer-land bases exchange to the Unite d Kingdom.
Commissioned in the Royal Navy on the day of transfer she was renamed HMS Campbeltown. Upon her arrival at Devonport, England, 29 September 1940, Campbeltown was allocated to the 7th Escort Group, Liverpool, in the Western Approach es Command. In January 1941 she was provisionally allocated to the Royal Netherlands Navy, but reverted to the Royal Navy in September 1941. Between September 1941 and March 1942 she served with Atlantic convoys and was attacked on several occasions by en emy U-boats and aircraft, but escaped without damage. On 15 September 1941 she picked up the survivors of the Norwegian motor tanker Vinga, damaged by an enemy air attack.
Her end came as a fitting conclusion to her fine career for she acted as blockship in the lock entrance at St. Nazaire during the raid of 28 March 1942. Early that morning she was driven straight at her objective under withering fire. Her commandos scr ambled ashore and commenced their demolition work. After scuttling her, her crew escaped in motor boats. Eleven hours later, her five tons of delayed action high explosives blew up, inflicting heavy casualties among the German members of an inspection par ty who had gone on board and wrought great havoc in the port. Campbeltown's captain, Lieutenant Commander S. H. Beattie, R. N., who was taken prisoner of war, was awarded the Victoria Cross for gallantry.
(DD-484: dp. 1630: l. 348'3"; b. 36'1"; dr. 17'5"; s. 37.4 k.; cpl. 276; a. 4 5", 5 21" TT.; cl. Gleaves)
The second Buchanan (DD-484) was launched 22 November 1941 by Federal Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Co. Kearny, N. J.; sponsored by Miss Hildreth Meiere, great-granddaughter of Admiral Buchanan; and commissioned 21 March 1942, Lt. Cdr. R. E. Wilson in command.
Buchanan got underway for the Pacific 28 May 1942. She played an effective role in the landings at Guadalcanal and Tulagi (7-9 August) and on 9 August she was present during the Battle of Savo Island and rescued many survivors of Astoria (CA-34), Quincy (CA-39), Vincennes (CA-44), and HMAS Canberra, sunk during the battle. In September she escorted Wasp (CV-7) and other units to Noumea, New Caledonia. Shortly thereafter, as part of TF 64.2, Buchanan assisted in the occupation of Funafuti Island in the Ellice Islands.
On the night of 11-12 October, as a unit of TG 64.2 Buchanan took part in the Battle of Cape Esperance. On 12 November the destroyer was damaged during the initial stages of the Naval Battle of Guadalcanal when she was accidentally hit by U. S. naval gunfire. She suffered the lost of five of her crew and had to withdraw from the action. After undergoing repairs she was assigned to convoy escort duty until February 1943.
After leave in Sydney, Australia, Buchanan joined the screen of TF 15. On 30 April 1943, while screening in convoy, the ship ran aground off the southern coast of Guadalcanal and, after jettisoning heavy gear and ammunition, she was eased off th e reef by three tugs. She proceeded to Espiritu Santo, New Hebrides, for repairs. Repairs completed, she participated in the New Georgia Group operations (30 June-13 July) and while under heavy attack she effectively bombarded the enemy shore batteries du ring the invasion of Rendova. She participated in the bombardment of Munda (12 July) and the Battle of Kolombangara (13 July). Buchanan was damaged when she collided with Woodworth (DD-460) during the latter engagement and retired to Noumea for repairs. During the ensuing months, Buchanan convoyed ships to Noumea, Espiritu Santo, and Guadalcanal. She participated in the Treasury-Bougainville operation (1-11 November), taking part in the Rabaul and Buka-Bonis strikes. Next, as a unit o f TF 38, she bombarded Shortland Island and Bougainville (8 and 13 January 1944). On 22 January, while going to the rescue of the torpedoed oiler Cache (AO-67), Buchanan hunted down and sank the Japanese submarine RO-37 in 11°47' S., 164°17' E.
During February the destroyer participated in various phases of the Bismarck Archipelago operation (15 February-1 March). She covered the Green Island landings
and took an active part in the bombardment of Kavieng, Rabaul, and New Ireland before steaming to the United States to undergo a yard overhaul at Mare Island.
Upon completion of overhaul and refresher training Buchanan returned to the Pacific and served with the transport screen during the assault and capture of the southern Palaus (6 September-14 October 1944). She next participated in the strikes ag ainst Luzon between 14 and 16 December. On 18 December she was damaged by a typhoon in the Philippine Sea. Upon completion of repairs she engaged in attacks on Luzon, Formosa, and the China coast (6-16 January 1945) in support of the Luzon operation. Duri ng the remainder of World War II she participated in the Iwo Jima invasion (15 February-5 March), Okinawa operation and supporting 3d and 5th Fleet raids (16 March-30 June), as well as the 3d Fleet operations against Japan (10 July-15 August 1945).
On 29 August she entered Tokyo Bay escorting South Dakota (BB-57). On 1 September she carried Fleet Admirals Nimitz and Halsey from their respective flagships to Yokohama where they met with General MacArthur and then returned them to the fleet. The following day she carried General MacArthur to Missouri (BB-63) where he accepted the Japanese surrender and then returned him to Yokohama. She remained on occupation duty in the Far East until 8 October and then departed for San Francisco whe re she arrived 20 October. Buchanan steamed to Charleston, S. C. for pre-inactivation overhaul and went out of commission in reserve there 21 May 1946.
Buchanan was recommissioned 11 December 1948 at Charleston and underwent shakedown and refresher training with a nucleus Turkish crew aboard. On 29 March 1949 she got underway for Golcuk, Turkey, where she was turned over to the Turkish Navy 28 April 1949.
Buchanan received the Presidential Unit Citation and 16 battle stars for her World War II service.
Buchanan County (LST-504) see LST-504
James Buck was born at Baltimore, Md., in 1808 and enlisted in the Navy in 1852. He was awarded a Medal of Honor for his heroic service during the Civil War on board the steamer Brooklyn where, though severely wounded, he stood at the wheel for eight hours and steered the vessel during the engagement with Forts Jackson and St. Philip on the Mississippi River. He died in Baltimore 1 November 1865.
SP-1355, a 33-toot motor boat of 1917-18, was also known as Buck.
(DD-420: dp. 1570: l. 348'3"; b. 36'1"; dr. 17'4"; s. 37 k.; cpl. 257; a. 4 5", 8 21" TT.; cl. Sims)
Buck (DD-420) was launched 22 May 1939 by Philadelphia Navy Yard sponsored by Mrs. Julius C. Townsend, wife of Rear Admiral Townsend, and commissioned 15 May 1940, Lieutenant Commander H. O. Robison in command.
Buck joined the Atlantic Squadron after a brief period of trial runs. From February until June 1941 she was with the Pacific Fleet and then rejoined the Atlantic Fleet serving on convoy escort duty between the United States and Iceland and along the eastern seaboard.
With the entry of the United States into World War II Buck continued to serve as a convoy escort, steaming from the seaports of the eastern United States to ports in Newfoundland, Iceland, Northern Ireland, North Africa, and the Caribbean.
On 22 August 1942 during one of these crossings, Buck was hit starboard side aft by SS Atwatea while trying to escort another vessel of the convoy to her correct position during a dense fog. The impact cut about two-thirds through Buck 's fantail and broke her keel. Seven of her personnel were lost. The starboard propeller was inoperative and within a few hours the port propeller dropped off. The fantail section, which had been secured by lines and wires, had to be allowed to sink w hen it became apparent that it would damage the hull by banging and chafing. On 26 August Buck, in tow of Cherokee (AT-66), reached Boston where she underwent repair until November. Upon completion of repairs she returned to Atlantic convoy escort duty until June.
Arriving in North Africa 21 June 1943, she was assigned to patrol duty off Tunisia and Algeria and then participated in the invasion of Sicily (10 July-2 August 1943) carrying out bombardment, screening, and patrol duties. On 3 August, while escorting a convoy of six liberty ships from Sicily to Algeria, Buck attacked and sunk the Italian submarine Argento in 36°52' N., 12°08' E., and took 45 of her crew as prisoners.
Returning to the Mediterranean in late September 1943, after escorting a convoy to the United States, Buck supported the invasion and occupation of Italy. On 9 October 1948 while on patrol off Salerno, Italy, Buck was hit forward by at le ast one and possibly two torpedoes. The damage sustained was so complete that the ship had to be abandoned within three minutes after she was hit and she sank a minute later. The loss of life was very heavy. Only 97 of her personnel survived. They were re scued by Gleaves (DD-423) and the British LCT-170.
Buck received three battle stars for her World War II service.
(DD-761: dp. 2200; l. 376'6"; b. 40'10"; dr. 19'; s. 34.2 k.; cpl. 846; a. 6 5", 10 21" TT.; cl. Allen w. Sumner)
The second Buck (DD-761) was launched 11 March 1945 by Bethlehem Steel Co., San Francisco, Calif., sponsored by Miss Mary Nimitz, daughter of Fleet Admiral Chester W. Nimitz; and commissioned 28 June 1946, Commander H. H. Nielsen in command.
After completion of shakedown in September 1946, Buck operated with the Pacific Fleet along the west coast from Acapulco, Mexico, to Ketchikan, Alaska. Between December 1948 and the summer of 1949 Buck made a cruise to the Far East. Upon her return to San Diego she participated in reserve cruises along the west coast and in Operation Miki off the Hawaiian Islands. Buck departed the United States on 11 January 1950 for her second Western Pacific tour and returned to California 25 Ap ril 1950. Shortly thereafter, she entered San Francisco Naval Shipyard for overhaul.
Late in 1950, as a unit of Destroyer Division 71, Buck joined the United Nations Forces in Korea. While there she suffered considerable damage in a collision with John W. Thomason (DD-760). Buck was ordered back to the west coast a fter temporary repairs at Sasebo, Japan. Between January and March 1951 she underwent repairs at Bremerton, Wash., and then returned to Korean waters, arriving 30 April 1951. She operated with United Nations Forces until July when she returned to the west coast. In January 1952 Buck, with Destroyer Division 71, departed for another tour in the Western Pacific. She operated with the shore bombardment forces and with the fast carrier task force until returning to San Diego 11 July t952. On her sixth Far Eastern tour, between 21 February and 22 September 1953, she operated with TF's 72, 77, 95, 96, and 97 off Korea until the Armistice was declared.
Since that time Buck has continued operations along the western seaboard and has completed three more Far Eastern cruises.
Buck received six battle stars for her Korean service.
Buck, Frank H. (No. 1613) see Frank H. Buck (No. 1613)
Back to the DANFS Online Main Page
Questions, Comments and Feedback
This section of the HG&UW site coordinated and maintained by Andrew Toppan.
Copyright © 1996-2003, Andrew Toppan. All Rights Reserved.
Reproduction, reuse, or distribution without permission is prohibited.