Born in New York City 18 May 1829, Daniel Lawrence Braine was appointed Midshipman in 1847. He served in Mississippi and John Adams during the Mexican War. During the Civil War he commanded Monticello and took part in an engagement with the rebel battery at Sewell's Point, in the first naval engagement of the war. He also took part in the attack and capture of Forts Hatteras and Clarke and engaged the enemy at Kimmekerk Woods above Cape Hatteras. Between 1873 and 1875 he commanded Juniata on its cruise to Greenland in search of the ill-fated Polaris Expedition. Rear Admiral Braine retired in May 1891 and died at Brooklyn 30 January 1898.
(DD-630: dp. 2050; l. 376'5"; b. 39'7"; dr. 17'9"; s. 35.2 k.; cpl. 329; a. 5 5", 10 21" TT.; cl. Fletcher)
Braine (DD-630) was launched 7 March 1943 by Bath Iron Works Corp., Bath, Maine; sponsored by Mrs. Daniel L. Braine, wife of a grandson of Rear Admiral Braine; and commissioned 11 May 1943, Commander J. F. Newman, Jr., in command.
Departing the east coast in the summer of 1943 Braine sailed via San Francisco to Pearl Harbor as an escort for troop transports. She then proceeded directly to Wake Island where she participated in its bombing and bombardment (5-6 October 1943) . Between 1 and 3 November Braine took part in the initial landings in Empress Augusta Bay, Bougainville. During the following two months she escorted resupply echelons to the Bougainville beachhead.
On 15 February 1944 Braine participated in the Green Island landing. She steamed into Rabaul Harbor under enemy fire for night shore bombardment of enemy installations (24-25 February). On 20 March she supported landings on Emirau Island, Bismar ck Archipelago. Braine spent the ensuing months in escort work and training for the Marianas invasion.
On 14 June she took part in the bombardment of Tinian Island and received minor damage from a small caliber shell but continued operations in the Marianas until 23 June. After spending almost a month in the United States she sailed for the Philippines, via Pearl Harbor. Braine rendered fire support during the Leyte landings (20 October) and repelled an enemy air attack on 18 November. From 4 to 15 January 1945 she participated in the Lingayen Gulf landings.
Braine then proceeded to Manila Bay to support landings on the Bataan Peninsula and Corregidor (14-28 February 1945). She served as a radar picket and support ship for the landing forces at Zamboanga and subsequently at Pollack Harbor, Mindanao (17 March-23 April). She took part in the Okinawa operations as a radar picket ship (16-25 May). On 27 May the destroyer was hit in quick succession by two suicide planes. The first hit forward seriously damaging the bridge and the second hit amidships bl owing number two funnel overboard and demolishing the amidships superstructure. Braine retired to Kerama Retto, Ryukyu Islands, for emergency repairs; departed 19 June; and arrived in the United States 19 July 1945.
On 21 July Braine steamed to Boston for repairs and then proceeded to Charleston Navy Yard for inactivation. She was placed out of commission in reserve 26 July 1946 at Charleston.
Recommissioned 6 April 1951, Braine conducted training in the Atlantic and Caribbean and in the spring of 1952 sailed to the Mediterranean for duty with the 6th Fleet. In October she returned to duty in coastal waters. She joined the 6th Fleet a gain in May 1953 and remained until October. Between October 1953 and 2 November 1954 she underwent a yard period, conducted refresher training in the Caribbean, and local operations in the vicinity of Newport. On 30 November 1954 she departed for the Pac ific and became a unit of Cruisers-Destroyers, Pacific Fleet, in mid-December 1954.
Early in January 1955 she proceeded to Yokosuka Japan, and joined TF 77. Braine participated in the evacuation of the Tachen Islands in February and later operated on the Formosa patrol. She returned to the west coast 19 June 1955.
Braine's next departure from the west coast was on 13 February 1956 to conduct another Western Pacific cruise. She returned to California 22 July 1956 and has since operated in the San Diego and San Francisco areas.
Braine earned nine battle stars for her World War II service.
The brambling is a handsomely colored finch.
(AMc-39: dp. 205; l. 97'6"; b. 22'6"; dr. 8'11"; s. 10 k.; cpl. 17; a. 1 .50 cal. m. g.; cl. Accentor)
Brambling (AMc-39) was launched 7 August 1941 by W. A. Robinson, Inc., Ipswich, Mass.; sponsored by Mrs. J. McLemmon; and commissioned 15 October 1941, Ensign J. E. Johansen, USNR in command.
On 13 November 1941 Brambling reported to the Atlantic Fleet and was subsequently assigned to Submarine Squadron 1. She participated in patrol and minesweeping operations off New London, Conn., until 26 December 1941 when she reported to Command er, Inshore Patrol, Montauk Section Base, 3d Naval District. Brambling was decommissioned and placed in service 16 May 1942. She was placed out of service 12 February 1946 and transferred to the Maritime Commission 27 October 1947.
On 1 September 1947 YMS-109 (q. v.) was renamed Brambling and reclassified AMS-42.
John Branch was born in Halifax, N. C., 4 March 1782. He was elected governor of North Carolina in 1817 and United States Senator in 1823. In 1829 he resigned from the Senate to become Secretary of the Navy, which office he held until 1831. From 1844 t o 1845 he was governor of the Territory of Florida. He died at Enfield, N. C. 4 January 1863.
(DD-197: dp. 1215; l. 314'4"; b. 31'9"; dr. 9'10"; s. 35 k.; cpl. 122; a. 4 4", 1 3", 12 21" TT.; cl. Clemson)
Branch (DD-197) was launched 19 April 1919 by Newport News Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Co., Newport News, Va.; sponsored by Miss Laurie O'Brien Branch, grandniece of Secretary Branch; and commissioned 26 July 1920, Commander F. H. Roberts in comma nd.
Branch was fitted out at Norfolk Navy Yard and in October cruised to Annapolis for a test of her engineering performance. Before the end of 1920 she joined Destroyer Squadron 3, Atlantic Fleet. The next year she maneuvered with the Squadron and engaged in tactical exercises on the Atlantic coast, sometimes operating with 50-percent of complement in reduced commission. After 6 January 1922 she operated in the vicinity of Charleston S. C., and Hampton Roads, Va. Arriving at Philadelphia Navy Yard in June, she was placed out of commission 11 August 1922. Branch remained inactive at Philadelphia until recommissioned 4 December 1939 for service with the Scouting Force. As flagship of Destroyer Division 68 she participated in the Neutrality Pat rol. In the summer of 1940 she operated along the east coast and trained Reserves. Early in October 1940 she departed Newport for Halifax, Nova Scotia, where on 8 October 1940 Branch was decommissioned and transferred in the destroyer-land bases ex change to the British Navy and renamed HMS Beverley.
Beverley arrived at Belfast 24 October and was assigned to convoy escort duties in the Atlantic. In April 1942 she was an escort for Convoy PQ 14 enroute to North Russia. Enroute the convoy was attacked by a superior force of enemy destroyers wh ich approached unobserved during a snow storm; fired several torpedoes at a range of 9000 yards; and sank one merchant ship. The enemy returned four times and took part in short gunnery duels, but would not close the range below 8000 yards.
On 4 February 1943, while escorting Atlantic convoy SC 118, Beverley sighted the German submarine U-187, later sunk by HMS Vimy, southeast of Cape Farewell, Greenland. She also took part in attacks on other U-boats the next day.
On 9 April while escorting Convoy ON 176, she collided with the steamship Cairnvolona in thick weather and had her anti-submarine and degaussing gear put out of action. Two days later she was torpedoed by a U-boat in 52°19' N., 40°28' W., and sa nk with the loss of 139 members of her crew, including her commanding officer.
Branch (DD-310) was renamed S. P. Lee (q. v.) prior to launching.
Branch County (LST-482) see LST-482
An important battle of the Revolutionary War was fought on Brandywine Creek, Pa., 11 September 1777.
(Fr: T. 1708; l. 175'; b. 45'; dr. 22'; s. 13 k.; cpl. 467; a. 44 guns; cl. Potomac)
The frigate Susquehanna was renamed Brandywine prior to her launching by Washington Navy Yard, with President John Quincy Adams on board, 16 June 1825. She was christened by Sailing Master Marmaduke Dove.
Lieutenant F. H. Gregory commanded Brandywine from 1 July to 1 September while she was being prepared for sea, after which Commodore Charles Morris, at that time one of the Navy Commissioners, took command. On 8 September 1825 she sailed from Wa shington Navy Yard with the Marquis de Lafayette on board, returning to France after a visit to the United States. She joined the Mediterranean Squadron in November. From 1826 to 1851 the vessel made three cruises in the Mediterranean two in the Pacific a s flagship; one to the Gulf of Mexico, East Indies, and Brazil. She was in ordinary at New York Navy Yard, 1851-60.
In 1861 Brandywine was returned to service and converted to a storeship and took station in Hampton Roads Va. She was recommissioned 27 October 1861. On 9 March 1862 she was towed up the Bay to Baltimore by Mount Vernon. She was to wed back to Hampton Roads in June 1862 for service as a store and receiving ship for the North Atlantic Blockading Squadron. She then moved to Norfolk where she was destroyed by fire 3 September 1864. Her wreck was raised and sold 26 March 1867.
Brannon, Charles E. (DE-446) see Charles E. Brannon (DE-446)
Brant is a small wild goose of Europe and eastern North America.
(AM-24: dp. 950; l. 187'10"; b. 35'6"; dr. 10'4"; s. 14 k.; cpl. 78; a. 2 3"; cl. Lapwing)
Brant (AM-24) was launched 30 May 1918 by Sun Shipbuilding Co., Chester, Pa.; sponsored by Miss Lois Graham; commissioned 6 September 1918, Lieutenant J. W. Stoakley in command; and reported to the Minesweeping Force, 5th Naval District, to swee p convoy courses off the coast of Virginia.
She served as a lightship off the Virginia coast in December 1918. In May 1919 she was placed under Director of Tugs, 5th Naval District, for towing and harbor operations at Norfolk.
On 17 September 1919 Brant reported to Train, Pacific Fleet, at San Diego. She remained on the west coast with the fleet until June 1941, serving as a minesweeper target vessel, and fleet tug, except for short periodic moves to the east coast, t he Caribbean, Panama Canal area, and the Hawaiian Islands on fleet concentrations and exercises.
Assigned to the Atlantic Fleet, Brant arrived at New York Navy Yard 1 August 1941 and commenced operations between Washington, D. C., and Solomons Island, Md., testing mines.
On 26 November 1941 Brant arrived at the Naval Operating Base, Argentia, Newfoundland, where she carried out towing operations and picket and escort duty until June 1942. Between 10 and 13 February 1942 she aided the Norwegian steamer Anderso n, aground off Shots Cove, Newfoundland, and transported her crew to Argentia. On 16 February she assisted the British steamer Kitty's Brook off a shoal in Placentia Bay. Between 18 and 24 February she was on duty at Great St. Lawrence H arbor near the scene of the grounded Pollux (AKS-2) and Truxton (DD-229). On 6 May she rescued the crew from the SS Magnhild grounded on Virgin Rocks.
On 29 June 1942 she arrived at Boston for an extensive overhaul. Her designation was changed to AT-132 on 1 June 1942 and to ARS-32 on 1 September 1942. On 6 November 1942 Brant departed the United States for the Mediterranean where she remained between 25 November 1942 and 16 December 1943 conducting salvage operations. During this time she operated at various ports in Algeria, Morocco, Tunisia, Sicily, and Italy. She also participated in the Sicilian occupation (9-15 July 1943) and the Salerno landings (9-21 September 1943).
Brant was accidentally damaged 10 August 1943, off Sicily, when inadequate recognition signals caused friendly naval forces to shell her. Extensive fires occurred, but were immediately controlled. However, 10 Of her crew were killed and 20 wound ed. On the same day Brant steamed to Licata, Sicily, where she landed her wounded and underwent a repair period.
Returning to the United States in January 1944, Brant underwent a yard overhaul at Norfolk and then departed for Falmouth, England, where she arrived 8 March 1944. She carried out salvage and towing operations at various ports in England and Sco tland until June when she departed for the invasion of the European continent. Between 6 and 19 June 1944 she furnished logistic support to ships participating in the invasion of Normandy.
Brant continued with her salvage duties in English and French waters until June 1945 when she proceeded to Bremerhaven, Germany. Remaining at Bremerhaven until 26 July 1945, she then sailed for the United States, via Ireland. She arrived at New London, Conn., 25 August 1945 and then steamed to New York where she remained moored until 4 October. She was decommissioned 19 December 1945 at New York Navy Yard and transferred to the Maritime Commission 19 August 1946.
Brant received three battle stars for her service in World War II.
On 1 September 1947 YMS-113 (q. v.) was renamed Brant and reclassified AMS-43.
Brattleboro (PCE(R)-852) see PCE(R)-858
Brave means characterized by courage; ready to incur peril without flight or flinching.
Brave (PYc-34) was renamed and redesignated YP-125 15 June 1942 prior to commissioning.
(IX-78: dp. 110; l. 98'3"; b. 23'7"; dr. 10')
Brave (IX-78) was acquired by the Navy 10 August 1942 as A. Maitland Adams. She was placed in service 10 December 1942 and ordered to Key West, Fla., where she served as a training vessel for the Fleet Sound School throughou t her career. She was placed in commission 23 January 1943. The vessel was placed out of commission 14 December 1944 at the Naval Operating Base, Key West.
Brave was transferred to the Maritime Commission for disposal 19 September 1946.
Braxton is a county in West Virginia.
(APA-138: dp. 6873; l. 455'; b. 62'; dr. 24'; s. 17.7 k.; cpl. 692; a. 1 5"; cl. Haskell)
Braxton (APA-138) was launched 3 November 1944 by California Shipbuilding Corp., Wilmington, Calif., under a Maritime Commission contract; sponsored by Mrs. R. J. Defrees; acquired from the Maritime Commission 28 December 1944; and commissioned 29 December 1944, Commander W. L. Bray, USNR, in command.
Braxton operated as a unit of the 71st and 58th Transport Divisions transporting troops and supplies from the west coast to Pearl Harbor, the Marshall and Caroline Islands, and Okinawa until the end of the war. Following the end of hostilities s he transported personnel and supplies from the Philippines and Okinawa to Japan and later participated in "Magic Carpet" operations.
Braxton arrived 23 April 1946 at New York where she loaded personnel, made one trip to Bremerhaven, Germany, and brought back returnees in May. The vessel arrived at Norfolk 4 June 1946 and was placed out of commission 27 June 1946. She was retu rned to the Maritime Commission 29 June 1946.
Born in Greenville, Tex., 1 April 1918, Raymond Leon Bray enlisted in the Marine Corps in 1940. He was killed in action at Gavutu, Solomon Islands, 7 August 1942. Corporal Bray was posthumously awarded the Navy Cross for extraordinary herois m.
(DE-709: dp. 1450; l. 306'; b. 36'10"; dr. 13'9"; s. 24 k.; cpl. 186; a. 2 5", 3 21" TT.; cl. Rudderow)
Bray (DE-709) was launched 15 April 1944 by Defoe Shipbuilding Co., Bay City, Mich.; sponsored by Mrs. Mattie M. Bray, mother of Corporal Bray; and commissioned 4 September 1944, Commander J. A. Hetherington II, USNR, in command.
Bray was assigned to Escort Division 12, Atlantic Fleet, and during late 1944 participated in anti-submarine operations off Long Island and conducted exercises with American submarines. Following repairs at Boston Navy Yard as a result of a coll ision with Cuttlefish. (SS-171) 8 December, Bray reported to Norfolk early in 1945 and conducted training for prospective destroyer and destroyer escort crews. She later trained with submarine crews off New London until mid-July 1945. During this period she also participated in occasional anti-submarine duty along the east coast. On 19 March 1945 she steamed to the aid of Heroic (AMc-84), saving her from sinking.
Between 15 July and 18 September 1945 Bray was at Charleston Navy Yard where she underwent conversion to a high speed transport. She was reclassified APD-139, 16 July 1945. Bray later served as a training ship operating out of Miami. She arrived at Green Cove Springs, Fla., 7 December 1945 and was assigned to the 16th Fleet. She was placed out of commission in reserve 10 May 1946.
Brazier, Robert (DE-345) see Robert Brazier (DE-346)
(Bark: T. 541; l. 135'8"; b. 28'7"; dr. 10'; s. 10 k.; a. 6 32-pdr. S. B.)
Braziliera, a wooden bark, was built in 1856 by J. J. Abrahams, Baltimore, Md.; purchased at New York 30 July 1861; and commissioned 27 October 1861, Acting Volunteer Lieutenant C. F. W. Behm in command.
She joined the North Atlantic Blockading Squadron and served on the blockade of Beaufort, N. C. On 3 March 1862 Braziliera received considerable damage when the bark Amanda dragged anchor at Hampton Roads, Va., and collided with her.
On 27 June 1862 Braziliera reported to the South Atlantic Blockading Squadron. While with the Squadron she captured four vessels. She also took part in the destruction of saltworks on St. Simon's Sound, Ga., and lumberworks on St. Andrew Bay, Fl a. In May 1864 she assisted in defeating the attack of the CSS North Carolina at the mouth of the Cape Fear River, N. C.
Braziliera was sold 2 June 1865 at Philadelphia.
The Brazos is a river in Texas.
AO-4: dp. 5723; l. 475'7"; b. 56'2"; dr. 26'8"; s. 14.3 k.; cpl. 136; a. 4 5", 2 3"; cl. Brazos)
Brazos (AO-4) was launched 1 May 1919 by Boston Navy Yard; sponsored by Miss Catherine Rush; and commissioned 1 October 1919, Commander R. Werner, USNRF, in command.
As a tanker attached to the Train, Scouting Fleet, Brazos carried fuel oil and stores along the east coast of the United States and in the Caribbean. In 1922 she served temporarily with the U. S. Naval Detachment in Turkish Waters and transferre d personnel and remains of the war dead from Marseilles to the United States. In 1924 she joined Train, Squadron 1, Fleet Base Force, to carry fuel and supplies to support the fleet. In 1925 she cruised with the fleet in Hawaii, Samoa, and Australia. Exce pt for brief periods in reduced commission for overhaul and repair, the succeeding years saw no variation in the vital duties performed by Brazos.
On 7 December 1941 Brazos was carrying fuel from the west coast to the Aleutian Islands and Alaska. She continued servicing ships in this area until 27 June 1942. After operating briefly in the vicinity of the Hawaiian and Samoan Islands, she re turned to the Aleutians where she remained until 27 January 1945.
On 29 March 1945 she arrived at Okinawa to furnish logistics support for the invasion fleet, after having made several brief stops in the southwestern Pacific. She remained at Okinawa until the middle of October except for a brief period of availabilit y at Leyte, Philippine Islands. She then departed for Japan and supported the occupation forces until 9 November 1945.
On 26 November 1945 Brazos returned to San Francisco where she remained until decommissioned 8 February
1946. She was transferred to the Maritime Commission 1 July 1946.
Brazos received one battle star for her World War II service.
The bream is a European fresh-water fish of the carp family.
(SS-243: dp. 1526; l. 311'9"; b. 27'3"; dr. 17'; s. 20.3 k.; cpl. 60; a. 1 3"; 10 21" TT.; cl. Gato)
Bream (SS-243) was launched 17 October 1943 by Electric Boat Co., Groton, Conn.; sponsored by Mrs. Wreford G. Chapple, wife of the prospective commanding officer; and commissioned 24 January 1944, Commander Chapple in command.
Bream's war operations extend from 1 June 1944 to 15 June 1945. During this period she completed six war patrols operating in the Java, Celebes, Sulu, and South China Seas and the Gulf of Siam. She sank two Japanese vessels totaling 6934 tons. P>
In addition, Bream shared with Ray (SS-271) and Guitarro (SS-363) the destruction of a 6806-ton passenger-cargo vessel. On 23 October 1944, while patrolling off western Luzon, Bream made a daring surface attack on a Japanese formation, damaging the heavy cruiser Aoba.
Bream got underway from Saipan for Pearl Harbor 6 June 1945 enroute to the United States for navy yard overhaul. She arrived at San Francisco 24 June 1945 and underwent overhaul and was placed out of commission in reserve 31 January 1946.
Bream was recommissioned 5 June 1951 and reported to Submarine Squadron 3, Pacific Fleet. From June 1951 to August 1952 Bream engaged in type training and services to the Fleet Sonar School, San Diego. On 10 September 1952 she went out Of commission in reserve at San Francisco. Bream was converted to a killer submarine and reclassified SSK-243, 18 February 1953.
Following recommissioning 20 June 1953, Bream participated in all phases of peacetime submarine operations in the Pacific Ocean. She conducted an Alaskan training cruise in September 1954, returning to San Diego 5 November 1954 via Pearl Harbor. Bream carried out operations off California until she made another trip to Pearl Harbor during 7-24 May 1955. Her next departure from the west coast was on 6 March 1956 for a cruise in the Western Pacific, which terminated at San Francisco in earl y 1957.
Bream was awarded four battle stars for her World War II service.
Joseph Berry Breck was born in Maine in 1830. Appointed an Acting Ensign 27 February 1863, he commanded the screw steamer Niphon during the Civil War. He took a prominent part in the destruction of the saltworks in engagements at Masonboro Inlet , N. C., and other expeditions ashore. Although his health was much impaired by his service, Lieutenant Commander Breck remained in command of Niphon until sent home by medical survey. On 26 July 1865, a short time after arriving in San Francisco, Calif., he died. He was buried in Arlington National Cemetery.
(DD-283: dp. 1215; l. 314'4"; b. 31'8"; dr. 9'10"; s. 34.8 k.; cpl. 122; a. 4 4", 1 3", 12 21" TT.; cl. Clemson)
Breck (DD-283) was launched 5 September 1919 by Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corp., Squantum, Mass.; sponsored by Mrs. Forest machine, granddaughter of Lieutenant Commander Breck; and commissioned 1 December 1919, Lieutenant Commander C. E. Ian Hook i n command.
Breck served with the Atlantic Fleet, attached to Destroyer Squadron 1 and for six months operated in the Caribbean area. From 15 July 1920 until June 1921 she was at Newport, R. I., in reserve commission, having only limited duty training Naval Reserves on the Atlantic coast. In June 1921 she rejoined the Destroyer Force and continuously participated in scheduled drills and exercises along the Atlantic coast and for a time had special duty in connection with the calibration of coastal Radio Com pass Stations.
In June 1922 she joined Squadron 9, Scouting Fleet, and annually took part in squadron and fleet operations. In August 1925 her home yard was changed from Boston to Norfolk Navy Yard and Breck was attached to Destroyer Division 25. As a unit of that Division she served with U. S. Naval Forces, Europe, between June 1926 and June 1927 showing the flag along the European and North African coasts and engaging in target and engineering competition. Upon returning to the United States she put in at Ne w York Navy Yard and then proceeded to Newport where she embarked Naval Reserves for the training cruise with the Scouting Fleet. The succeeding years were similar in the established routine of gunnery practice war games, and maneuvers until the end of Se ptember 1929 when Breck arrived with other units of Destroyer Squadron 9 at Philadelphia Navy Yard, ending her active service. Breck was decommissioned 1 May 1930 and sold 17 January 1931.
Joseph Cabell Breckinridge was born in Fort Monroe Va., 6 March 1872 and graduated from the Academy in 1895. He served in the battleship Texas, where on several occasions he displayed remarkable coolness and ability in times of peril. While serving in Cushing, Ensign Breckinridge was washed overboard and drowned in Cuban waters 11 February 1898.
(DD-148: dp. 1154; l. 314'5", b. 31'8"; dr. 9'; s. 35.2 k.; cpl. 122; a. 4 4", 2 3", 12 21" TT.; cl. Wickes)
Breckinridge (DD-148) was launched 17 August 1918 by William Cramp and Sons Ship and Engine Building Co., Philadelphia, Pa.; sponsored by Miss Genevieve Dudley Breckinridge, a niece of Ensign Breckinridge; and commissioned 27 February 1919, Comm ander A. L. Bristol in command.
Breckinridge joined the Destroyer Force, Atlantic Fleet, operating in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. She was employed along the east coast principally in the development and tests of sonar devices until placed out of commission in reserve at Philadelphia 30 June 1922. Recommissioned in May 1930, Breckinridge served with the Scouting Force, U. S. Fleet, along the east coast until late in 1932. She sailed for the Pacific where she served with the Scouting Force from Alaska to Pearl Harbor. In May 19 36 she was assigned to Training Squadron 10 and operated along the east coast-and in Cuban waters until September 1936 when she was placed out of commission in reserve. After three years out of commission at Philadelphia, she was recommissioned in Septemb er 1939 and served with Division 66, Atlantic Squadron, on the Neutrality Patrol. In December 1940 she was assigned to the Inshore Patrol Station, C. Z. Subsequent to May 1941 Breckinridge was based at Key West, Fla., patrolling and conducting unde rwater experiments and scheduled exercises.
Breckinridge operated under Commander, Caribbean Sea Frontier, on patrol and escort duties until December 1943 when she was assigned to the Atlantic Fleet. She joined TG 21.13, a hunter-killer group, 14 January 1944 for mid-Atlantic anti-submari ne sweeps. Returning to Norfolk 27 February after an uneventful operation, TG 21.13 was dissolved and Breckinridge proceeded to Boston for overhaul. On 22 March 1944 she returned to Norfolk and reported to TF 65 to escort a convoy across the Atlant ic. Departing 24 March 1944, the convoy reached the Mediterranean with no interference. However, on the night of 11-12 April numerous German planes attacked the convoy inflicting damage to Holder (DE-401).
Breckinridge returned to Boston 11 May 1944. On 27 May she reported for duty to Commander, Caribbean Sea Frontier, and operated in the vicinity of Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, until 7 February 1945 when she returned to duty with the Atlantic Fleet. Aft er undergoing overhaul at Boston Navy Yard between 10 February and 31 March she commenced operations at New London, Conn., as flagship of Destroyer Division 54.
On 30 June 1945 Breckinridge was reclassified a miscellaneous auxiliary AG-112. After a short conversion period at the New York Navy Yard Annex, Bayonne, N. J., she sailed for the Pacific, reaching San Diego 21 August. On 24 August she reported to Commander, Carrier Division 12, for duty as plane guard and escort vessel. Breckinridge operated in that capacity until decommissioned 30 November 1945. She was sold 31 October 1946.
Breckinridge received one battle star for her World War II service.
Breckinridge, General J. C. (AP-176) see General J. C. Breckinridge (AP-176)
Born in Passaic, N. J., 15 September 1880, George Breeman enlisted in the Navy in 1902. He was awarded a Medal of Honor for extraordinary heroism during the turret explosion on Kearsarge (BB-5), 13 April 1908. Chief Turret Captain Breeman di ed at Passaic 10 April 1937.
(DE-104: dp. 1240; l. 308'; b. 36'8"; dr. 11'8"; s. 21 k.; cpl. 186; a. 3 3", 3 21" TT., cl. Cannon)
Breeman (DE-104) was launched 4 September 1943 by Dravo Corp., Wilmington, Del.; sponsored by Mrs. Marie Breeman Schellgell, niece of Chief Breeman; completed by Norfolk Navy Yard; and commissioned 12 December 1943, Lieutenant Commander N. W. Hu nter, USNR in command.
On 16 February 1944 Breeman, as part of hunter-killer TG 21.16, sailed for anti-submarine sweeps of the Atlantic convoy routes. During this trip the Group made numerous attacks on enemy submarines. On 12 March, they departed Casablanca to search for submarines in the vicinity of the Cape Verde Islands. On 16 March the Group sank the German submarine U-801 in 16°42' N, 30°26' W. Breeman, together with Bronstein (DE-189), was detached 24 March and sailed to Dakar, French West Africa, where they picked up a cargo of gold and transported it to New York, arriving 3 April. She departed New York for Bizerte, Tunisia, 12 April as part of hunter-killer TF 60.
Breeman returned to the United States in May and underwent overhaul and training before steaming to Bermuda where she joined TO 22.10. She remained at sea until 25 August, making a number of attacks on submarines. After availability in New York the ship carried out training exercises off Bermuda. During this trip she sustained propeller damage and returned to New York for repairs. On 23 October she proceeded to the New London Submarine Base for torpedo training and exercises. During November and December 1944 she operated with TG 22.2 on another hunter-killer operation. Between 16 February and 17 March 1945 she operated as part of TG 23.4 and carried out an unsuccessful search for enemy weather reporting submarines in the North Atlantic.
Between 9 May and 17 August she operated as a plane guard and escort vessel for carrier training operations off New London, Conn., and Quonset Point, R. I. From 11 August until 2 October she provided the same services to Mission Bay (CVE- 59) off Port Everglades, Fla. Breeman was detached from her duties 2 October 1945 and proceeded to New York Navy Yard where she commenced her pre-inactivation overhaul.
Breeman remained at New York until 13 November 1945 when she got underway for Green Cove Springs, Fla.
She arrived 16 November and was subsequently placed out of commission in reserve 26 April 1946. She was transferred to China 29 October 1948.
Breeman received one battle star for her World War II service.
Born in Philadelphia 14 April 1831, Kidder Randolph Breese was appointed a Midshipman 6 November 1846 and warranted 8 June 1852. He served in Mississippi, flagship of Commodore Perry, during the expedition to Japan (1854-55) and as captain of Black Hawk, flagship of Admiral Porter's Mississippi Squadron, during the Civil War. Retired in 1874, Captain Breese died at Newport, R. I., 13 September 1881.
(DD-122: dp. 1213; l. 314'5"; b. 31'8"; dr. 9'4"; s. 33.2 k.; cpl. 122; a. 4 4", 2 3", 12 21" TT.; cl. Lamberton)
Breese (DD-122) was launched 11 May 1918 by Newport News Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Co., Newport News, Va.; sponsored by Mrs. Gilbert McIlvaine, daughter of Captain Breese; and commissioned 23 October 1918, Lieutenant J. M. B. Smith in command. P>
She reported to Commander, Cruiser Force, Atlantic Fleet, and cruised for several days as a convoy escort at the close of World War I. Returning to Norfolk, she was assigned to Division 12, Destroyer Force, Atlantic Fleet and served in Cuban waters dur ing the spring of 1919. In July 1919, Division 12 was assigned to the Pacific Fleet, based at San Diego. For a year she served with Squadron 4 and from June 1920 was in Rotating Reserve. During October 1920 to June 1922 she participated in division maneuv ers and fleet maneuvers with the Battle Force in the Pacific, and went out of commission 17 June 1922.
Breese was redesignated a light minelayer (DM-18) on 5 January 1931. Recommissioned 1 June 1931, following overhaul and conversion at Mare Island Navy Yard, she returned to San Diego for trials and standardization tests before departing for Pear l Harbor. Assigned to Division 1, Minecraft, Battle Force, U S. Fleet, in Hawaiian waters, she engaged in training exercises, served with submarine divisions as target ship, and as station ship for airplane flights until her return to San Diego in June 19 37 She was out of commission in reserve from 12 November 1937 until 25 September 1939.
Upon recommissioning Breese joined Mine Division 5 Battle Force. On 2 November 1939 she arrived at Puget Sound Navy Yard for Neutrality Patrol off the Oregon and Washington coasts. The next year she made an inspection trip to Alaskan bases with Commander, Alaskan Sector, embarked. Upon returning she rejoined her Division in San Francisco and prepared for a cruise to Hawaii, where she arrived 10 December 1940. Attached to Mine Division 2, Minecraft, Battle Force, Pacific Fleet, through the succee ding year she took part in training exercises in the operating area and on the Maui range. On 7 December 1941 Breese was anchored at Pearl Harbor and by 0757 she opened fire with her machine guns at close range on the attacking Japanese planes. Although s he received no material damage from the Japanese attack, she aided in the sinking of one midget submarine and damaged numerous enemy planes.
Breese operated in the Central Pacific from 7 December 1941 until 10 October 1944. She then extended her sphere of duty westward to include various islands in the Marianas-Philippine area and continued to serve as a minelayer and patrol ship unt il 7 November 1945.
During her wartime career she carried out minesweeping duties during the consolidation of the Solomon Islands (6-13 May 1943); New Georgia-Rendova-Vangunu operation (29 June-25 August); occupation and defense of Cape Torokina (1-8 November); Leyte land ings (12-24 October 1944); Lingayen Gulf landings (4-18 January 1945); Iwo Jima operation (16 February-7 March); Okinawa seizure (25 March-30 June); and 3rd Fleet operations against Japan (5-31 July). In August and September
Breese swept mines in the East China Sea and Kyushu-Korean area.
On 7 November 1945 Breese steamed to the west coast, arriving 25 November. She transited the Panama Canal and put into New York 13 December. She was decommissioned 15 January 1946 and sold 16 May 1946.
Breese received ten battle stars for her World War II service.
Bremerton is a city in Washington.
(CA-130: dp. 13,600; l. 673'5"; b. 70'10"; dr. 26'10"; s. 33 k.; cpl. 1042; a. 9 8", 12 5"; cl. Baltimore)
Bremerton (CA-130) was launched 2 July 1944 by New York Shipbuilding Corp., Camden, N. J., sponsored by lilies Elizabeth K. McGowan, and commissioned 29 April 1945, Captain J. B. Mallard in command.
Bremerton left Norfolk for her shakedown cruise in the waters off Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, 29 May 1945. Toward the end of the shakedown period she served as flagship for Admiral Jonas Ingram, Commander-in-Chief of the Atlantic Fleet, during his Sou th American tour of inspection. She returned to the United States and engaged in experimental work at Casco Bay, Maine, from 22 July to 2 October 1945.
On 7 November 1945 she sailed to Guantanamo Bay for further training. She then proceeded to Pearl Harbor enroute for duty in the 7th Fleet. Bremerton arrived at Pearl Harbor 15 December 1945 and Inchon, Korea, 4 January 1946. She operated in the Far East until 20 November 1946-when she arrived at San Pedro, Calif. She participated in type training and made one reserve training cruise off the west coast before placed out of commission in reserve at San Francisco 9 April 1948.
Bremerton was recommissioned 23 November 1951. After refresher training she joined the 7th Fleet for her first cruise of the Korean war zone. Her guns blasted enemy lines at Wonsan, Kojo, Chongjin, and Changjon Hang, Korea. On 13 September 1952 she was relieved and returned to Long Beach.
Seven months were devoted to overhaul, drills, and gunnery exercises and then on 5 April 1953 Bremerton again departed Long Beach for a tour with the 7th Fleet. Upon joining TF 77 her guns pounded enemy installations troops, and railroads in Kor ea.
Completing this tour in November, Bremerton returned to Long Beach and commenced a shipyard overhaul. With overhaul completed, she conducted extensive training and then departed for another tour of the Western Pacific 14 May 1954. On 17 October 1954 Bremerton returned to Long Beach. On 12 July 1955 after a rigid training period, Bremerton again sailed for duties in the Far East. Since the completion of this cruise 12 February 1956, she has continued operations along the west coast and has made another tour of the Western Pacific.
Bremerton received two battle stars for service performed during the Korean action.
Born in Philadelphia, Pa., 14 June 1920, John Joseph Brennan enlisted in the Naval Reserve in 1940. He was appointed Midshipman 10 August 1940 and attended Naval Reserve Midshipmen School aboard Illinois (IX-15). Ensign Brennan was killed in action 3 April 1942, while serving as officer-in-charge of the armed guard on board SS Otho when she was torpedoed and sunk.
(DE-13: dp. 1140; l. 289'5"; b. 35'1"; dr. 10'6"; s. 21 k.; cpl. 156; a. 3 3"; cl. Evarts)
Brennan (DE-13) was launched 22 August 1942 by Mare Island Navy Yard as HMS Bentinck (BDE-13); completed for American use and reclassified DE-13, 25 January 1943; commissioned as Brennan 20 January 1943, Lieutenant Commander H. A. Adams, Jr., in temporary command. Lieutenant Commander M. E. Dennett assumed permanent command 21 January 1943 and four days later the ship's designation was officially changed from BDE to DE.
From 1 March 1943 until October 1945 Brennan operated in the Miami Straits and Caribbean as a training ship for prospective officers and nucleus crews of destroyer escorts under construction.
Brennan was decommissioned 9 October 1945 and scrapped 12 July 1946.
Breton is a sound in Louisiana.
Breton (CVE-10) was built by Ingalls Shipbuilding Corp., Pascagoula, Miss. She was commissioned 9 April 1943 and transferred the same day, under Lend-Lease to the United Kingdom as HMS Chaser. The carrier was returned to United States' cu stody 12 May 1946 and sold 20 December 1946.
(CVE-23: dp. 7800; l. 495'8", b. 111'6"; dr. 26'; s. 17.6 k.; cpl. 1205; a. 2 5"; cl. Bogue)
Breton was launched 27 June 1942 by Seattle-Tacoma Shipbuilding Corp., Tacoma, Wash. under a Maritime Commission contract; sponsored by Mrs. A. H. Rooks, widow of Captain Rooks; and commissioned 12 April 1943, Captain E. C. Ewen in command.
Throughout her World War II service Breton operated with the Carrier Transport Squadron, Pacific Fleet. Her sailings carried her throughout the Pacific supplying men, materiel, and aircraft to units of the fleet engaged in making strikes on the enemy. While engaged in these duties Breton took part in the capture and occupation of Saipan (11 June-10 August 1944); the Battle of the Philippine Sea (19-20 June); the 2nd Bonins raid (24 June); and the assault and occupation of Okinawa (6-7 Apr il 1945).
Upon her return to the west coast in January 1946 after serving as a unit of the Far Eastern occupation forces, Breton prepared for inactivation at Tacoma, Wash., and went out of commission in reserve there 30 August 1946. She was reclassified C VHE-23 on 12 June 1955.
Breton received four battle stars for her World War II service.
Brevard is a county in Florida.
(AK-164: dp. 2382; l. 338'6"; b. 50'; dr. 21'1"; s. 11.5 k.; cpl. 85; a. 1 3"; cl. Alamosa)
Brevard (AK-164) was launched 18 November 1944 by Kaiser Cargo, Inc., Richmond, Calif., under a Maritime Commission contract, sponsored by Mrs. Jack Wieringa; acquired from the Maritime Commission 19 February 1945; and commissioned the same day, Lieutenant P. J. Wild, USNR, in command.
Between 8 April and 19 October 1945 Brevard transported men and supplies among the Caroline, Marshall, Marianas, and Philippine Islands. On 19 October she departed Leyte, Philippine Islands, and steamed to China where she served on occupation du ty between 28 October 1945 and 22 January 1946.
Brevard returned to San Francisco, via Pearl Harbor, arriving 14 March 1946 and commenced her pre-inactivation overhaul. She was decommissioned 3 July 1946 and returned to the Maritime Commission the same day.
Brewster County (LST-483) see LST-483
Briareus was a mythological giant of the sea, an enemy of Poseidon, and an inventor of warships.
(AR-12: dp. 8975; l. 490'6"; b. 69'6"; dr. 23'6"; s. 18 k.; cpl. 903; a. 1 5", 4 3"; cl. Delta)
Briareus (AR-12) was launched in 1941 by Newport News Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Co., Newport News, Va., as Hawaiian Planter; purchased by the Navy 16 February 1943, and commissioned as Briareus 15 November 1943, Commander J. F. Warris in command.
On 3 January 1944 Briareus sailed for Pearl Harbor where she completed repairs on 18 ships of various types. On 25 February she departed for Noumea, New Caledonia and subsequently sailed to Espiritu Santo, New Hebrides. During her six months sta y in the New Hebrides she performed all types of repairs on 124 vessels.
Briareus weighed anchor for Manus, Admiralty Islands, 22 September. Here she helped prepare the fleet for the Philippine invasion. She continued repairing battle-damaged ships at Manus and later at Purvis Bay in the Solomon Islands until July 19 45. At this time she was assigned to Service Division 101 and commenced repair work at Leyte. On 18 September she arrived at Buckner Bay, Okinawa, for further repair duty. In December she departed for Norfolk where she carried out repair work until joinin g the 16th Fleet for inactivation. On 15 October 1946 Briareus went out of commission in reserve at Norfolk.
Briareus was recommissioned 22 September 1951 at Norfolk Naval Shipyard and reported to the Service Force, Atlantic Fleet. For three years she repaired ships of the Atlantic Fleet at Norfolk and engaged in training exercises off the Virginia Cap es, and Guantanamo, Cuba. Primarily based at Norfolk, she also spent brief intervals repairing vessels at Charleston, S. C., Port Everglades and Mayport, Fla. Briareus entered Norfolk Naval Shipyard 26 May 1955 for general overhaul and then joined the Norfolk Group, Atlantic Reserve Fleet going out of commission in reserve 9 September 1955.
Horatio Bridge (1806-98) was born in Augusta, Maine and graduated from Bowdoin College in 1826. He was admitted to the bar in 1828 and practiced law until 1838 when he entered the Navy as a Purser. In 1854 he was named Chief of the Bureau of Provisions and Clothing. He was the first in the Navy to employ the idea of comprehensive fleet supply which was carried out with conspicuous success during the Civil War. He retired 8 April 1868 and was advanced to Pay Director with the relative rank of Commodore on the Retired List 3 March 1871. He died in 1898 at Athens, Pa.
(AF-1: dp. 5207; l. 422'11"; b. 55'3"; dr. 20'8"; s. 14 k.; cpl. 238; a. 4 5"; cl. Bridge)
Bridge (AF-1) was launched 18 May 1916 by Boston Navy Yard; sponsored by Mrs. Granville Seurcy Fleece, a grandniece of Commodore Bridge; and commissioned 2 June 1917, Lieutenant Commander W. K. Riddle in command.
Following her commissioning Bridge loaded stores and provisions, and transported and issued them to the fleet and shore stations. During 1917-18 she made four round trips across the Atlantic as a unit of the Naval Overseas Transportation Service . On 1 July 1918, while at New York, she was assigned to the Train, Atlantic Fleet, and operated between New York, York River, and the Chesapeake. In 1922 she sailed for Europe and duty with the U. S. Naval Detachment in Turkish Waters. Remaining a year i n that area, she then joined Train, Squadron 1, Base Force, U. S. Fleet, in servicing and provisioning the Fleet from bases on both the east and west coasts of the United States, the Caribbean, and Canal Zone. In 1937-38 Bridge spent six months on temporary duty with the Asiatic Fleet. In 1940-41 she made 11 voyages between California bases and Pearl Harbor, the tenth trip also included the outlying bases of Midway, Guam, and Wake.
With the entry of the United States into World War II Bridge expanded her Pacific voyages to include the Fiji Tonga, and New Caledonia Islands. Between 10 August and 20 October 1942 she shuttled cargo between San Francisco and Alaska and then re turned to the South Pacific. Between October 1942 and April 1943 she carried cargo to the Hawaiian, Tonga, Loyalty, and Samoan Islands. From 2 April until 3 July 1943 she ferried supplies between Noumea, New Caledonia, and Auckland, New Zealand. In July s he steamed to San Francisco and thence to Alaska where she operated until October. She returned to Pearl Harbor 3 November and operated between the Hawaiian and Ellice Islands until April 1944. Between 19 April 1944 and 27 April 1945 Bridge operate d exclusively between Pearl Harbor and the Marshall Islands. During 9-22 May and 11 July-13 August 1945 she landed supplies at Okinawa, returning to Pearl Harbor each time.
On 10 October 1945 Bridge departed Pearl Harbor and steamed to Japan, via Okinawa, for occupation duty. While operating off Korea, 1 November, she struck a mine and suffered considerable damage but no personnel casualties. Towed to Japan 21 Nove mber by Sioux (ATF-75), she underwent repairs at Sasebo until January 1946.
Bridge remained on occupation duty until June 1946. She was decommissioned at Sasebo 27 June 1946; turned over to the Foreign Liquidation Commission for disposal; and sold at Manila, Philippine Islands, 22 December 1947.
Bridge received one battle star for her World War II service.
Bridge, Lake (No. 2990) see Lake Bridge (No. 2990)
Bridge, West (No. 2888) see West Bridge (No. 2888)
Bridgeport is a city in Connecticut.
(AD-10: dp. 7175; l. 447'3"; b. 54'4"; dr. 29'2"; s. 12.5 k.; cpl. 552; a. 8 5"; cl. Bridgeport)
Bridgeport (AD-10) was launched 14 August 1901 by Bremer Vulcan, Vegesack, Germany, as Breslau; seized by the Collector of the Port of New Orleans on American entry into World War I; turned over to the Shipping Board; transferred to the N avy at New Orleans; renamed Bridgeport 9 June 1917; and commissioned 25 August 1917, Lieutenant Commander A. B. Randall, USNR, in command.
Since the German crew had disabled the vessel she had to undergo extensive repairs at New Orleans and Boston prior to joining the fleet. Originally scheduled to be converted to a repair ship she was designated AR-2 but was completed as a destroyer tend er and redesignated AD-10. On 1 March 1918 Bridgeport was assigned to the Destroyer Force, Atlantic Fleet. After convoying small craft to the Azores, she arrived at Brest, France, 5 August 1918 and remained there as base repair and supply ship unti l 15 October 1919.
After the war she operated with the fleet as a repair and supply ship; aided in the rescue of S-5 during September 1920; and served as flagship, Destroyer Squadrons 3 and 8, Atlantic Fleet. Early in 1923 Bridgeport was assigned as tender, Destroyer Squadrons, Scouting Fleet and cruised off the Atlantic coast and in the Caribbean. She arrived at Boston Navy Yard 30 June 1924; went out of commission in reserve 3 November 1924; and was sold 2 February 1942.
Bridgeport (PF-58) was launched 21 August 1943 by
Globe Shipbuilding Co., Superior, Wis., and renamed Abilene (q. v.) 28 June 1944 prior to commissioning.
The keel of Bridgeport (CA-127) was laid 13 January 1945 by Bethlehem Steel Co., Quincy, Mass., but further construction was canceled 12 August 1945.
Born in Washington, D. C., 2 August 1897 Francis Joseph Bridget graduated from the Academy in 1921. He was designated a Naval Aviator 13 April 1929. He was serving on the staff of Commander, Patrol Wing 10, when the Japanese attacked the Philippine s 8 December 1941. Following the attack he joined the American forces on Bataan and was taken prisoner. Captain Bridget was killed 15 December 1944 when a Japanese prison ship in which he was embarked was sunk off Olongapo, Luzon, Philippine Islands.
(DE-1024: dp. 1280; l. 314'6"; b. 36'9"; dr. 20'; s. 25 k.; cpl. 170; cl. Dealey)
Bridget (DE-1024) was launched 25 April 1956 by Puget Sound Bridge and Dredging Co., Seattle, Wash.; sponsored by Mrs. Francis J. Bridget, widow of Captain Bridget; and commissioned 24 October 1957, Lieutenant Commander J. B. Haines in command P>
Born in Wilkinsburg, Pa., 4 September 1912, Graham Paul Bright graduated from the Academy in 1935. A fiscal specialist, Lieutenant Bright was killed in action on Guam 10 December 1941.
(DE-747: dp. 1240; l. 306'; b. 36'8"; dr. 11'8"; s. 21 k.; cpl. 186; a. 3 3", 3 21" TT.; cl. Cannon)
Bright (DE-747) was launched 26 September 1943 by Western Pipe and Steel Co., San Pedro, Calif.; sponsored by Mrs. Graham Paul Bright, widow of Lieutenant Bright; and commissioned 30 June 1944, Lieutenant Commander W. A. McMahan in command.
On 19 September Bright sailed from San Diego as escort for SS John B. Floyd to Hilo, T. H., and thence to Pearl Harbor. From 1 October to 20 November Bright operated out of Pearl Harbor on anti-submarine and gunnery e xercises. Between 24 November 1944 and 30 April 1945 she operated with TG 12.3 conducting a series of hunter-killer searches near the Hawaiian and Marshall Islands.
On 30 April 1945 Bright sailed from Eniwetok to Saipan where she reported to TF 51 for duty in the Escort Pool. On 5 May she sailed as escort for a convoy enroute to Okinawa, arriving 10 May. The following day she took station as a unit of the t ransport screen. At 1919 on 13 May she opened fire on a low-flying Japanese fighter, scoring hits on his engine and port wing. The port wing fell off but the plane continued approaching at full speed and crashed immediately astern of the fantail. A 500-po und bomb exploded at the moment of crashing, causing immediate loss of steering with the rudder jammed hard left. The after-steering room was completely demolished, both port and starboard depth charge racks were damaged and inoperative, smoke screen gene rators blown off, the main deck aft buckled and pierced, and three compartments opened to the sea. Two men were wounded and for the following hour it was impossible to keep the ship from circling.
Bright was towed to Kerama Retto, Ryukyu Islands, for emergency repairs and on 22 May sailed in convoy for Ulithi. On 31 May she was underway from Ulithi to Portland, Oreg., via Eniwetok and Pearl Harbor. From 23 June until 8 September she remai ned at Portland under repair and then sailed to Charleston, S. C., arriving 25 September 1945. She proceeded to Green Cove Springs, Fla., 24 October 1945, where she went out of commission in reserve 19 April 1946. Bright was transferred 11 November 1950 to France under the Mutual Defense Assistance Program.
Bright received one battle star for her World War II service.
The brill is a European flat-fish.
(SS-330: dp. 1526; l. 311'9"; b. 27'3"; dr. 16'10"; s. 20.3 k.; cpl. 80; a. 1 5", 10 21" TT.; cl. Balao)
Brill (SS-330) was launched 25 June 1944 by Electric Boat Co., Groton, Conn.; sponsored by Mrs. Francis S. Low, wife of Rear Admiral Low, and commissioned 26 October 1944, Commander H. B. Dodge in command.
Brill departed New London 7 December 1944 and arrived at Pearl Harbor 8 January 1945. Her war operations extended from 28 January to 9 August 1945 during which time she completed three war patrols in the South China Sea and the Gulf of Siam. Brill made few contacts worthy of torpedo fire during her three patrols and consequently had to settle with the damaging of an unidentified ship of approximately 1000 tons as her only score.
On 31 August 1945 Brill departed Fremantle, Australia for Subic Bay, Philippine Islands, arriving 9 September 1945. She continued on to San Diego, via Pearl Harbor, arriving 12 February 1946. On 23 April 1946 she departed for Pearl Harbor where she commenced repairs on 1 May. Departing Pearl Harbor 12 September, she made a cruise to Midway; Adak and Kodiak, Alaska; and Indian Island, Puget Sound, Wash. She returned to Pearl Harbor 9 November 1946.
Brill continued training exercises around Hawaii with Submarine Squadron 5 until 4 September 1947 when she departed for San Diego. She commenced overhaul at San Francisco Naval Shipyard 29 September and departed 24 February 1948 for New London, Conn., where she arrived 16 March 1948. Brill was decommissioned 23 May 1948 and turned over to Turkey the same day.
Brill received one battle star for her World War II service.
Brilliant is an adjective which distinguishes by quality that which excites admiration.
(StwStr: T. 227; l. 154'8"; b. 33'6"; dr. 5'; s. 6 mph; a. 2 12-pdr. R., 2 12-pdr. S. B.)
Brilliant, a wooden stern-wheel steamer, was built in 1862 at Brownsville, Pa., and purchased by the War Department, 13 August 1862, at St. Louis, Mo., transferred to the Navy with the Western Flotilla 1 October 1862 and commissioned the followi ng day, Acting Volunteer Lieutenant Charles G. Perkins in command.
After undergoing repairs Brilliant sailed from St. Louis 25 September 1862 to join the Mississippi Squadron at Cairo, Ill. Throughout the Civil War she operated very actively on the Ohio, Cumberland, Tennessee, and Mississippi Rivers until 2 Aug ust 1866. On 3 February 1863 she assisted in repelling the Confederate attack on Fort Donelson, Tenn., and from 3 December until 16 December 1864 supported the Union Army's attack on Nashville, Tenn.
Brilliant was sold at public auction 17 August 1865 at Mound City, Ill.
Born in Chicago 4 July 1916, Harry Brinkley Bass graduated from the Academy in 1934 and was designated
a Naval Aviator in 1941. During World II he commanded two fighter squadrons. Lieutenant Commander Bass was killed in action when his plane crashed in combat during the invasion of southern France 20 August 1944.
(DD-887: dp. 2425; l. 390'6"; b. 40'10"; dr. 18'6"; s. 34.6 k.; cpl. 345, a. 6 5", 10 21" TT.; cl. Gearing)
Brinkley Bass (DD-887) was launched 26 May 1946 by Consolidated Steel Corp., Ltd., Orange, Tex.; sponsored by Mrs. Percy Bass, mother of Lieutenant Commander Bass; and commissioned 1 October 1945, Commander P. W. Winston in command.
Brinkley Bass conducted her shakedown cruise in the Caribbean and then proceeded to San Diego for duty with the Pacific Fleet, arriving February 1946. From San Diego she proceeded to Shanghai, China, via Pearl Harbor and Guam, for duty wi th Commander, Naval Forces, Western Pacific. Upon reporting in the spring of 1946 Brinkley Bass served as mail ship between the naval commands at Shanghai, Tsingtao, and Hong Kong.
She returned to San Diego in February 1947 and during the spring participated in extensive training exercises off southern California and underwent a yard overhaul. Brinkley Bass departed San Diego in February 1948 for her second tour of the Far East. She returned to California in October 1948 and spent the winter operating out of San Diego.
In November 1949 she reported to Commander, Naval Forces, Far East. She participated in Far Eastern Air Force defense operations, conducted training, and patrolled in Tsushima Strait. She returned to the United States in June 1950.
On 6 November 1950 Brinkley Bass departed San Diego in company with Destroyer Division 52 and proceeded to the Korean war zone. On 25 November she joined TF 77 for support of carrier operations off the east coast of Korea. During one peri od of 53 days she remained constantly at sea. On 16 May 1951 she reported to TF 95 for duty with the Wonsan Harbor Bombardment Element. During 30 days of operations at Wonsan Harbor, she was engaged in frequent bombardments of enemy shore installations in flicting great damage. On 20 May 1951, while engaged at Wonsan Harbor, Brinkley Bass was hit by shells from enemy shore batteries which killed one and wounded nine of her crew.
Destroyer Division 52 was relieved on station at Wonsan 27 June. On 18 July Brinkley Bass, after a most successful combat cruise, proceeded homeward to San Diego, arriving 6 August. Brinkley Bass completed another Far Easter n tour during January-26 August 1952.
Between 18 April 1953 and January 1954 she conducted another Far Eastern tour during which she spent most of her time underway with TF's 77 and 95, with a few brief interruptions such as the Formosa Patrol, Wonsan Shore Bombardment Element, and hunter- killer exercises.
Since that time Brinkley Bass has completed three more Western Pacific cruises ending her eighth deployment early in 1957.
She received seven battle stars for her Korean service.
Briscoe is a county in Texas.
(APA-65: dp. 4247; l. 426'; b. 58'; dr. 16'; s. 16.9 k.; cpl. 391; a. 1 5"; cl. Gilliam)
Briscoe (APA-65) was launched 19 June 1944 by Consolidated Steel Co., Ltd., Wilmington, Calif., under a Maritime Commission contract; sponsored by Mrs. C. W. Giegerich; acquired by the Navy 29 October 1944; and commissioned the same day, Captain A. J. Detzer in command.
Briscoe departed the United States 5 December 1944 and steamed to Pearl Harbor where she engaged in training and shakedown exercises until 6 April 1945. She then carried troops and cargo between the Marshalls, Marianas, Philippines, and few Guin ea until she departed the Philippines 25 August 1945 for Tokyo Bay, Japan. Upon arrival she joined the naval occupation forces and served primarily as a transport between the Philippine Islands and China. Briscoe departed the Far East 30 November 1 945 and returned to the United States.
During the early months of 1946 she made several voyages between the ports of California and the Pacific islands, returning troops to the United States. In the spring of 1946 Briscoe was assigned as target ship for Operation Crossroads and proce eded to Bikini. Following the atomic tests she was decommissioned at Bikini Atoll and maintained for two years for radiological and structural studies. Briscoe was destroyed by sinking 6 May 1948.
Brisk means full of life, keenly alive, or alert.
(PG-89: dp. 900; l. 205'; b. 33'; dr. 14'7"; s. 16.5 k.; cpl. 90; a. 2 3"; cl. Action)
Brisk (PG-89) was launched 15 June 1942 as the Canadian corvette Flax by Kingston Shipbuilding Co., Kingston, Ontario, Canada; acquired by the United States Navy 5 December 1942; and commissioned as Brisk 6 December 1942, Li eutenant N. B. Denel, USNR, in command.
The ship got underway from Quebec 8 January 1943 and upon arrival at Boston, underwent overhaul and training exercises until 8 March when she steamed to Staten Island, N. Y.
During April 1943-June 1945 Brisk escorted coastwise convoys between New York and Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. She arrived at Norfolk in June 1945 and commenced her pre-activation overhaul. She then sailed to Charleston, S. C., where she was placed out of commission in reserve 9 October 1945. Brisk was transferred to the Maritime Commission 18 October 1946.
Born in Galveston, Tex., 4 May 1920 Robert Earl Brister enlisted in the Naval Reserve in 1941 and was commissioned an Ensign in 1942. He was officially reported missing in action 2 May 1942 when Cythera (PY-26), on which he was serving, was reported long overdue and presumed lost in the Atlantic.
(DE-327: dp. 1200; l. 306'; b. 36'7"; dr. 12'3"; s. 21 k.; cpl. 186; a. 3 3", 3 21" TT., cl. Edsall)
Brister (DE-327) was launched 24 August 1943 by Consolidated Steel Corp., Ltd., Orange, Tex.; sponsored by Mrs. Blanche Brister, mother of Ensign Brister; and commissioned 30 November 1943, Lieutenant Commander L. H. Crosby, USNR, in command.
Between June 1944 and June 1945 Brister made two successful trans-Atlantic escort crossings to Italy and five to the United Kingdom. On 8 June 1945 she departed New York for the Pacific, arriving at San Diego 3 July 1945.
Brister departed Pearl Harbor in August 1945 and proceeded to the Far East, arriving in September. She carried out patrol and escort duties in the East China Sea, supporting the occupation of Japan and Korea, until April 1946. She departed Singa pore 8 April 1946 and returned to Charleston, via the Suez Canal and the Mediterranean, arriving 30 May. Brister then reported for inactivation and went out of commission in reserve at Green Cove Springs, Fla., 4 October 1946.
On 1 September 1955 Brister commenced conversion to a radar picket escort vessel at Charleston Naval Shipyard. She was recommissioned 21 July 1956 as DER-327 and reported to the Atlantic Fleet for duty.
Born in Glassboro, N. J., 17 April 1868, Mark Lambert Bristol graduated from the Academy in 1887. During the Spanish-American War he served aboard Texas and participated in the battle of Santiago, Cuba. From 1901 to 1903 he served as aide to the Commander in-Chief North Atlantic Fleet. He commanded Oklahoma (BB-37) during World War I and then served as United States High Commissioner in Turkey (1919-27). In 1927 Rear Admiral Bristol assumed command of the Asiatic Fleet. He died 13 May 193 9.
(DD-453: dp. 1630; l. 348'4"; b. 36'1"; dr. 17'6"; s. 35 k.; cpl. 276; a. 5 5", 5 21" TT.; cl. Gleaves)
The first Bristol (DD-453) was launched 25 July 1940 by Federal Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Co., Kearny, N. J.; sponsored by Mrs. Powell Clayton, and commissioned 22 October 1941, Lieutenant Commander C. C. Wood in command.
During her first year of service Bristol operated as a patrol and convoy escort ship in the North Atlantic making several trans-Atlantic voyages to Ireland. On 24 October 1942 she made her first voyage to North Africa to take part in the landing s at Fedhala, French Morocco (8-17 November). Returning to the United States in late November, she operated out of Norfolk until 14 January 1943 when she again steamed to the Mediterranean where, with the exception of one trip to the Canal Zone in April 1 943, she served exclusively until 13 October 1943.
While on duty in that area, she took part in the Sicilian invasion (9 July-17 August 1943) and the Salerno landings (9-21 September). On 11 September 1943 Bristol rescued 70 survivors from the torpedoed Rowan (DD-405).
At 0430 on 13 October 1943, while escorting a convoy to Oran, Algeria, Bristol was struck by an enemy torpedo on the port side at the forward engine room, causing the ship to break in half. Only one explosion occurred. No fires resulted, but ste am, electrical power, and communications were lost and the ship had to be abandoned. Eight minutes after the explosion the after section sank and four minutes later the bow section went down. Bristol suffered the loss of 52 of her crew. The survivo rs were rescued by Trippe (DD-403) and Wainwright (DD-419).
Bristol received three battle stars for her World War II service.
(DD-857: dp. 2200; l. 376'6"; b. 40'10"; dr. 19'; s 34.2 k.; cpl. 345; a. 6 5", 10 21" TT.; cl. Allen M. Sumner)
The second Bristol (DD-857) was launched 29 October 1944 by Bethlehem Steel Co., San Pedro, Calif.; sponsored by Mrs. August Frederick Eberly, and commissioned 17 March 1945, Commander K. P. Letts in command.
Bristol departed San Diego 13 June 1945 enroute to Pearl Harbor, arriving 19 June 1945. Arriving at Guam 29 July she joined TG 30.8, a logistic support group supplying TF 38. On 5 August 1945 Bristol collided with Ashtabula (AO-51) . Bristol's bow was damaged and she returned to Guam for repairs. Repairs completed 1 September, she departed for Far Eastern occupation duty. Her tour of duty ended 21 February 1946 and she returned to San Pedro 15 March.
In April 1946 Bristol proceeded to the east coast and reported to the Atlantic Fleet. She operated along the east coast until February 1947 when she steamed to England for a cruise in European waters that lasted until August. Between August 1947 and September 1948 she conducted local operations in the Atlantic and from September 1948 until January 1949 made a second tour of Europe.
Upon return, she was designated as a Reserve training ship and operated for the next 18 months out of New Orleans, La. During the summer and fall of 1960 Bristol visited several Caribbean ports, with interim periods of training at Guantanamo Bay , Cuba.
Bristol's homeport was changed to Newport 21 October 1950 and after refresher training at Guantanamo Bay, she reported to Newport for general duty. On 5 March 1951 Bristol proceeded to the Mediterranean for duty with the 6th Fleet, return ing to Newport during the summer. On 2 October 1951 she commenced a round-the-world cruise which took her first to Korea where she served from 31 October 1951 to 27 February 1952. She then returned to Newport via the Suez Canal and the Mediterranean, arri ving 21 April 1952.
Since that time Bristol has served with the Atlantic Fleet and has carried out her normal peacetime operating schedule along the east coast, in the Caribbean, and with the 6th Fleet in the Mediterranean.
Bristol received one battle star for her World War II service and two battle stars for her Korean service.
Bristol, Arthur L. (APD-97) see Arthur L. Bristol (APD-97)
Britannia is the Latin name for the island of Great Britain.
(SwStr: T. 495; l. 189'; b. 26'; dph. 11'; s. 12.5 k.; a. 1 30-pdr. R., 2 12-pdr. R., 2 24-pdr. How.)
Britannia a side-wheel steamer, was built in 1862 at Leith, Scotland; captured as a blockade runner by Santiago de Cuba in the Bahama Islands 25 June 1863; sent to Boston for adjudication; purchased by the Navy Department in September 1863; and commissioned 16 September 1863, Acting Master H. H. Savage in command.
After repairs at Boston Navy Yard, she was ordered to join the North Atlantic Blockading Squadron off Wilmington, N. C. Enroute she developed boiler trouble and had to be towed to Beaufort, S. C., for temporary repairs. She then proceeded to Hampton Ro ads, Va., for permanent repairs. Britannia left Hampton Roads at the end of November and joined the North Atlantic Blockading Squadron. Between 24 and 26 March 1864 she was a unit of an expedition to Swansboro and Bear Creek, N. C., during which on e Confederate schooner was destroyed.
On 8 April 1864 she rescued the prize sloop Swallow which was in distress. During 6-7 May 1864 she engaged CSS Raleigh off New Inlet, N. C. and in August she was slightly damaged when shrapnel exploded close aboard during an engagement wi th CSS Tallahassee who escaped, after a running fight, into Wilmington, N. C. Britannia next operated in the attacks on Fort Fisher, N. C. (24-25 December 1864 and 13-15 January 1865). Her gunfire forced the surrender of a battery and the ca pture of about 70 prisoners.
In January 1865 she was ordered to join the East Gulf Blockading Squadron, where she remained until the close of the war. Between 23 February and 27 March 1865 she took part in joint operations in the vicinity of St. Marks, Fla., which resulted in the closing of St. Marks River to Confederate forces and considerable damage to the saltworks in the vicinity.
Britannia was sold in Philadelphia 10 August 1865.
Broad Arrow is a mark, shaped like a barbed arrow, placed on British Government property.
(AO: dp. 17,862; l. 485'3"; b. 62'6"; dr. 26'6"; s. 11 k.; cpl. 76; a. 1 5"; cl. Broad Arrow)
Broad Arrow (No. 2503), a tanker, was launched 22 December 1917 by New York Shipbuilding Co., Camden, N. J.; acquired by the Navy 12 March 1918; and com-
missioned 18 March 1918, Lieutenant Commander G. E. Haines, USNRF, in command.
Assigned to the Naval Overseas Transportation Service, Broad Arrow carried oil and aircraft parts to France between March 1918 and February 1919. On 24 February 1919 she was decommissioned at Brooklyn and turned over to the Shipping Board .
Back to the DANFS Online Main Page
Questions, Comments and Feedback
This section of the HG&UW site coordinated and maintained by Andrew Toppan.
Copyright © 1996-2003, Andrew Toppan. All Rights Reserved.
Reproduction, reuse, or distribution without permission is prohibited.